Thread: 2008 Ryder Cup

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    His name was Gene Sarazen. His daughter lived in my mother's town in New Hampshire and she'd get a group of friends together to play golf with him when he was there. My mother was about twenty years his junior so she liked being one of the "young ones" in comparison.
    Wow! He's one of the absolute legends of the game. I envy your Mother for getting to play a round of golf with him!

Link
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Power CUer
    That's what I was told. She played many rounds with him over the years; she knew his daughter very well. His daughter was what the New Hampshire people called "snowbirds"; she'd be in Sunapee during the summer but would go to Florida for the cold months.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    His name was Gene Sarazen. His daughter lived in my mother's town in New Hampshire and she'd get a group of friends together to play golf with him when he was there. My mother was about twenty years his junior so she liked being one of the "young ones" in comparison.
    Wow, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Wow, very cool.
    Indeed, that's the equivalent of playing catch with Mickey Mantle.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Power CUer
    Is it? That's nice to hear. My parents raised me to take people as they come, and not to react to celebrity. My mother had a good time, and liked him, but she was never "OMG I'm playing golf with God!" I went to school with the children of many famous people, so it was good to pick up that matter-of-fact attitude from my parents.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Is it? That's nice to hear. My parents raised me to take people as they come, and not to react to celebrity. My mother had a good time, and liked him, but she was never "OMG I'm playing golf with God!" I went to school with the children of many famous people, so it was good to pick up that matter-of-fact attitude from my parents.
    Gene Sarazen (born Eugenio Saraceni) (February 27, 1902 – May 13, 1999) is one of only five golfers (along with Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, and Tiger Woods) to win all the major championships in his career, the Career Grand Slam: U.S. Open in 1922, 1932, PGA Championship in 1922, 1923, 1933, British Open in 1932, and The Masters in 1935.
    Yes, he was an absolute legend.