Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1 Egyptians pelt Clinton motorcade with tomatoes 
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Sun, Jul 15 2012
    By Arshad Mohammed and Marwa Awad

    CAIRO (Reuters) - Protesters threw tomatoes and shoes at U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's motorcade on Sunday during her first visit to Egypt since the election of Islamist President Mohamed Mursi.

    A tomato struck an Egyptian official in the face, and shoes and a water bottle landed near the armoured cars carrying Clinton's delegation in the port city of Alexandria.

    A senior state department official said that neither Clinton nor her vehicle, which were around the corner from the incident, were struck by any of the projectiles.

    Protesters chanted: "Monica, Monica", a reference to Former President Bill Clinton's extra-marital affair. Some chanted: "leave, Clinton", Egyptian security officials said.

    It was not clear who the protesters were or what political affiliations they had. Protesters outside Clinton's hotel on Saturday night chanted anti-Islamist slogans, accusing the United States of backing the Muslim Brotherhood's rise to power.

    The assault on her motorcade came on a day Clinton spoke at the newly re-opened U.S. consulate in Alexandria, addressing accusations the United States, which had long supported former President Hosni Mubarak, of backing one faction or another in Egypt following his ouster last year.

    "I want to be clear that the United States is not in the business, in Egypt, of choosing winners and losers, even if we could, which of course we cannot," Clinton said.

    Clinton also met the country's top general, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, on Sunday to discuss Egypt's turbulent democratic transition as the military wrestles for influence with the new president.

    Read more at http://uk.reuters.com/assets/print?a...86E09V20120715




    I wonder if the media will cover this the same way that they covered the Iraqi journalist who threw his shoes at Bush?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Janice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    2,809
    This is like a little ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. Brings a smile to my face too.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Sun, Jul 15 2012
    By Arshad Mohammed and Marwa Awad

    CAIRO (Reuters) - Protesters threw tomatoes and shoes at U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's motorcade on Sunday during her first visit to Egypt since the election of Islamist President Mohamed Mursi.

    A tomato struck an Egyptian official in the face, and shoes and a water bottle landed near the armoured cars carrying Clinton's delegation in the port city of Alexandria.

    A senior state department official said that neither Clinton nor her vehicle, which were around the corner from the incident, were struck by any of the projectiles.

    Protesters chanted: "Monica, Monica", a reference to Former President Bill Clinton's extra-marital affair. Some chanted: "leave, Clinton", Egyptian security officials said.

    It was not clear who the protesters were or what political affiliations they had. Protesters outside Clinton's hotel on Saturday night chanted anti-Islamist slogans, accusing the United States of backing the Muslim Brotherhood's rise to power.

    The assault on her motorcade came on a day Clinton spoke at the newly re-opened U.S. consulate in Alexandria, addressing accusations the United States, which had long supported former President Hosni Mubarak, of backing one faction or another in Egypt following his ouster last year.

    "I want to be clear that the United States is not in the business, in Egypt, of choosing winners and losers, even if we could, which of course we cannot," Clinton said.

    Clinton also met the country's top general, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, on Sunday to discuss Egypt's turbulent democratic transition as the military wrestles for influence with the new president.

    Read more at http://uk.reuters.com/assets/print?a...86E09V20120715




    I wonder if the media will cover this the same way that they covered the Iraqi journalist who threw his shoes at Bush?
    I can't seem to find all these stories. With the attack on Bush, I didn't have that problem. I wonder what the difference is???

    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    This is like a little ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. Brings a smile to my face too.
    Throwing tomatoes is a well known izlamic cultural display of love and affection. It isn't as well known as say, lopping off heads in a show of peace, but it is well known.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,896
    No wonder Condi Rice might be considering running for VP. She has to be disgusted with our foreign policy. To think that Hillary is probably the best this administration has to offer.

    Those Monica shouts have to be more than annoying to her. She doesn't deserve that.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    No wonder Condi Rice might be considering running for VP. She has to be disgusted with our foreign policy. To think that Hillary is probably the best this administration has to offer.

    Those Monica shouts have to be more than annoying to her. She doesn't deserve that.
    I don't know about that. She protected him and stood by him, even claiming that the whole thing was a vast, rightwing conspiracy (Ever wonder how we got the president's penis into the intern?), thus slandering everybody who was telling the truth about her husband and his dalliances. And, let's not forget that the perjury that he suborned couldn't have happened without her support, since many of the staffers who were involved were her people, not his.

    No, I'm afraid that it's her scandal, too.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I don't know about that. She protected him and stood by him, even claiming that the whole thing was a vast, rightwing conspiracy (Ever wonder how we got the president's penis into the intern?), thus slandering everybody who was telling the truth about her husband and his dalliances. And, let's not forget that the perjury that he suborned couldn't have happened without her support, since many of the staffers who were involved were her people, not his.

    No, I'm afraid that it's her scandal, too.
    You are right on this one. I guess I'm guilty of favoring the less offensive of the current dems, Hillary. I can't abide the president, never could stand her and the phoniness. My sister accuses me of being too harsh in my political views and my BIL can't stand my conservative stances. She's a RINO and he's a dem. They're entitled to their views, but I do hate for them to roll their eyes at me when I express my opinions. It's probably best that I moved away from St Louis, as it wasn't fun being made to feel like a pariah because of my beliefs. I do tolerate theirs, but it's tough.

    I am sure that you remember Bill and Hill's photo op, phony dancing lovingly on a beach, with a small army of photographers.

    It's tough for a woman, though, to have the name of her husband's previous mistress/intern hurled at her. For that I give her just a tiny bit of sympathy,
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    You are right on this one. I guess I'm guilty of favoring the less offensive of the current dems, Hillary. I can't abide the president, never could stand her and the phoniness. My sister accuses me of being too harsh in my political views and my BIL can't stand my conservative stances. She's a RINO and he's a dem. They're entitled to their views, but I do hate for them to roll their eyes at me when I express my opinions. It's probably best that I moved away from St Louis, as it wasn't fun being made to feel like a pariah because of my beliefs. I do tolerate theirs, but it's tough.
    This raises an interesting point. When I'm confronted with something that I know is wrong, I try to address it logically, while liberals just roll their eyes and sneer. However, the other day, when I was visiting my dad in NYC, one of his friends told me that he favored a single-payer health plan, and I simply told him that my wife has had extensive experience with Britain's NHS, and that he was lucky that she hadn't heard him say that, or she'd have taken his head off. It ended the discussion, but I think that I may be onto something. He didn't come away with the usual liberal's smug superiority, and I didn't come away wanting to forcibly download intelligence into his skull. From here on in, when confronted with moonbattery, I'm simply going to say, "spare me" and treat them with the same condescension that they normally give.

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I am sure that you remember Bill and Hill's photo op, phony dancing lovingly on a beach, with a small army of photographers.

    It's tough for a woman, though, to have the name of her husband's previous mistress/intern hurled at her. For that I give her just a tiny bit of sympathy,
    I'd give her more sympathy if she hadn't traded her self-respect for power. That's the price that she paid, and she has to live with it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8 Tomatogate sure has DUmmyland in a tizzy... 
    Senior Member Jim54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    691
    Some of them are convinced that the Republicans are responsible.

    Linky and much hilarity here:

    http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014167201
    "Asakatsu Magatsu"

    True victory is victory over oneself.

    ~ Morihei Ueshiba O-Sensei ~
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim54 View Post
    Some of them are convinced that the Republicans are responsible.

    Linky and much hilarity here:

    http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014167201
    While others are justifying it based on our policies, or lack of democracy in the US. One has to wonder what color the sky is in their world.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

    I'd give her more sympathy if she hadn't traded her self-respect for power. That's the price that she paid, and she has to live with it.
    This is the eternal quandry of women in general. Too many times women just shut their eyes and ignore the philandering of their partner. I've tried helping some acquaintences who were in abusive relationships. There is a fear---perhaps a fear of the unknown or a fear of having to support themselves. I tried explaining that the devil that you know isn't better than what lies ahead. There's always a chance of improvement, but not if intolerable things are tolerated and allowed to continue.

    When I worked at a large corporation I saw some powerful women putting up with way too much cr__. It was amazing.

    Hillary made a decision to put power over her pride. You're right, she has to pay the price for her decision. She used Bill Clinton and his position to further her own career. I don't know how she could have stood the embarassment. I couldn't have done that.

    I knew a politician in the St Louis area who publically humiliated his wife in the same fashion as Bubba did to Hillary. She also was an educated woman, but made that choice to "stand by her man". She was a proud person, but not sure now if she thought it was worth it. I haven't seen her for about 7 years.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •