1. #1 'Unlucky' rare black fox spotted in Britain 

Kevin Hehir, 48, was astonished when he spotted the fox while out walking.

The black fox is so rare that wildlife experts believe there are only a handful of the breed left in the country.

In medieval times, the black fox was considered a bad omen by superstitious villagers.

Mr Hehir, from Preston, Lancashire, was walking in a cemetery with a friend, when he spotted the animal among the gravestones.

"It was on the outskirts of Chorley, I don't want to give the exact location out as it's a very rare fox and I don't want people to go and try and catch it," he said.

"We were walking along looking at gravestones and I spotted it. I thought: "It's a myth, there's no such thing".

The black fox is in fact a red fox which is going through a phase where the colour of its fur is particularly dark.

The unusual colouring is normally seen on growing cubs before the fox develops its dark chestnut coat, however some red foxes remain black due to a rare genetic flaw, which dates back hundreds of years.

link

Interesting. All the ones by my house are red or reddish blonde.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Interesting. All the ones by my house are red or reddish blonde.
    That's all I've ever seen. I don't think I've even seen a picture of a black fox before.

We're on to something here:

Rare black fox is actually a red fox

written by: Adam Chodak 6 months ago Toolbox: Read Comments Recommend (0)Print Article Email Article Smaller Larger

LOVELAND – The phones are ringing at the Larimer Humane Society. People want to know about one particular animal.

Rare black fox is actually a red fox They want to know about a black fox. The fox came in for rehab last week after being hit by a car on Highway 34 in Loveland.

"She has a possible hairline fracture of her pelvic bone," said Morgan Carey, supervisor of the Larimer Humane Society's wildlife rehab center, WildKind.

The fox – a female – is certainly a rare sight.

"Very rare," Carey said. "This is the first black fox that we've seen that I know of."

Even though the fox is completely black, but for a white-tipped tail, it is actually a red fox.

"She's a genetic mutation that causes her coat to be black," Carey said.

Carey says the fox is recovering well. She hopes to release her back into the wild next week.

The black fox will be dropped off close to where she lived, which was in, of all places, a cemetery.
    Apparently they favor cemeteries. Since I live close to a cemetery, I'll keep a look-out for one.

9News Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    We're on to something here:

Apparently they favor cemeteries. Since I live close to a cemetery, I'll keep a look-out for one.

9News Colorado
    I'm going with the medieval explanation. It's a sign!!!11!!1 (I am not sure of what though.) :D

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    It's a sign of CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Goldwater
    Mutant foxes!