Thread: Obama's Offshore Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Obama's Offshore Team 
    In one of the president’s latest campaign commercials — an ominous spot that looks a bit like the trailer to a B-grade horror movie — Mitt Romney gets some flak for his offshore bank accounts. Apparently, keeping money in places like the Bahamas and the Cayman Islands is a sign that one might not be the most upstanding citizen.

This raises a question: Why do some of the president’s wealthiest donors use the same strategies this commercial decries?

At least five of the president’s “bundlers” — in lay terms, people who form groups with their acquaintances and pool funds in order to donate significant sums to campaigns — run firms that keep some of their money in tax havens such as Luxembourg, the Cayman Islands, and Bermuda. This is exactly the same behavior for which the president’s ad condemns Romney.

Though politicians don’t disclose the specific amount of money in each bundle, records give ranges of how much bundlers have funneled to the president’s reelection campaign, with $500,000 or more as the highest range displayed. Michael Sacks, one of the president’s top bundlers, is responsible for collecting at least $500,000 for Obama’s reelection campaign. Sacks is the CEO of Grosvenor Capital Management, a hedge fund that has offices in London, Tokyo, and Chicago, and he resides in the prosperous village of Winnetka, Ill., just north of Chicago. One of his funds, the Grosvenor Registered Multi-Strategy Fund, LLC, has authorized “certain in-kind transactions” with the Grosvenor Multi-Strategy Offshore Fund, Ltd., a fund conveniently located in the lovely Cayman Islands — known for their sparkling beaches, for their first-class snorkeling, and for being one of the world’s largest offshore financial centers, as the president’s ad points out.

Sacks isn’t the only substantial Obama donor with a tropical outpost. Farallon Capital Management is one of the largest hedge funds in the world and has a handy location in the Caymans — and its founder, Tom Steyer, has directed between $50,000 and $100,000 to the president’s reelection efforts. His son Sam, while a student at Harvard in 2008, appears to have given $28,500 to the president as well. Generosity must run in the family.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...betsy-woodruff
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Romney invests money off shore to avoid paying taxes. Some of Obama's donors do the same. Obama's donors are not candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Romney invests money off shore to avoid paying taxes. Some of Obama's donors do the same. Obama's donors are not candidates.
    Romney isn't doing anything illegal or against American law.

IF Obama would release his records we'd probably find he does the same thing.

We already know his DNC chairwoman does.

Was there some point you were trying to make?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Romney isn't doing anything illegal or against American law.
    Well, there's a massive difference between doing something illegal and doing something that voters may dislike in a candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Well, there's a massive difference between doing something illegal and doing something that voters may dislike in a candidate.
    What exactly is their to dislike about it?

What makes you think that voters even care?

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    What exactly is their to dislike about it?

What makes you think that voters even care?
    Well, apparently people do or they wouldn't have made the campaign ad. But my point is just that because something's legal doesn't automatically make it 'ok' for a president to do.

To be perfectly frank, I think the problem is this: I personally think the tax system is completely unfair due to loopholes which allow people with armies of lawyers to get out of paying taxes. This is why I liked Cain's tax plan, and also Paul's (which was also flat tax but gradually reduced to no income tax). GE, for example, pays $0 in taxes while the small business man pays the full amount. That's crap. Part of fixing our tax code means fixing this specific issue of loopholes and that reducing your tax liability is a valid means of income.

Because as long as Romney refuses to address this issue, people will assume that Romney loves tax loopholes, since basically that's how he made his money. In fact, this ties into the Bain issue because basically LBOs (what Bain does) are so profitable because of a very specific tax loophole with arbitrage. Tax loopholes by definition are perfectly legal, I just happen to not like them.

Anyway, just my opinion on this.

Romney's money is in a blind trust since 2000 or 2004. He has NO say as to where his money is invested. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    GE, for example, pays $0 in taxes while the small business man pays the full amount. That's crap.
    Yes that is crap. For the year in question GE paid no taxes as they lost more than they made. Now let's see if we can find a small businessman (or any other variety) who made $10, lost $20 and still paid taxes, much less the "full amount"

More of the LSM twisted rhetoric with no basis in fact.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.

The CEO of GE is also part of Obama's administration.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

You dont find it a tad bit hypocritical to take money from a donor who does the same thing you're opponent is doing?