Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 IOC Admits Muslims Prevented the Honoring of Murdered Israeli Athletes 
    Minute of silence for Israeli athletes at London Olympics: Munich widow claims ‘greed and anti-Semitism’ preventing official commemoration, as Italian MPs join international protests
    by: EJP Updated: 16/Jul/2012 16:44
    Ankie Spitzer, Dutch-born widow of Israel’s fencing coach Andre Spitzer. The other Israeli athletes killed by Palestinian terrorists at the 1972 Munich Olympic Games are: Moshe Weinberg, Yossef Romano, Ze'ev Friedman, David Berger, Yakov Springer, Eliezer Halfin, Yossef Gutfreund, Kehat Shorr, Mark Slavin and Amitzur Shapira.

LONDON/ROME/BRUSSELS (EJP) --- As London's Organising Committee of the Olympic Games prepares for the start of this summer’s games, the international furore over the continued refusal to hold an official commemoration for the victims of the Munich Massacre fails to die down, as the widow of the one of the slain athletes brands the International Olympic Committee (IOC) as “corrupt.”

The organisation and its president Jacques Rogge have been subject to intense criticism from across the international community for its continued refusal to honour the 11 Israel Olympians murdered at the 1972 Munich Games with a minute’s silence to mark the 40th anniversary of the killings, in what has been presented as a “humanitarian” gesture.

Munich widow Ankie Spitzer spearheaded the campaign by launching an online protest, which has since garnered support from across political spectrums in several countries including Israel, Canada, the UK, Australia, the US, Belgium and Germany.

In the latest development, some 140 Italian parliamentarians signed a letter to Rogge this week, calling for minute’s silence to be instituted.
    The appeal was driven by Italian Jewish MP Fianna Nirenstein, who is vice president of the parliamentary commission on foreign affairs, and who said the gesture would mark “a moment of pity for these murdered athletes and a firm condemnation of terror”.

Although IOC officials have on many occasions attended private memorials to the slain Olympians held in cities hosting the Games throughout the years, they have not staged a minute’s silence in the 40 years since the tragedy.

In a letter launching her campaign for an official silence to mark the 40th anniversary of the Munich Massacres, Spitzer wrote:

“Silence is a fitting tribute for athletes who lost their lives on the Olympic stage. Silence contains no statements, assumptions or beliefs and requires no understanding of language to interpret.”

Rogge’s succinct response declared that "within the Olympic family, the memory of the victims of the terrible massacre in Munich in 1972 will never fade away."
    The Israeli foreign ministry insinuated a political dimension to the IOC’s refusal, when it responded that “perhaps the IOC thinks anything to do with Israel is controversial. It is not a display of great courage and integrity.”

Spitzer declared the IOC’s continued refusal is evidence of it being “a corrupt organisation, led by greed rather than the Olympic spirit”, adding that “the IOC’s refusal is pure discrimination – greed and anti-Semitism”.

Citing the increasing funding the organisation relies on from oil-rich gulf states, Spitzer claims that Rogge protested his inability to act earlier this year when the two met to discuss her appeals, saying his hands were tied by admission of 46 Arab and Muslim members to the IOC. “No,” Spitzer claims she responded, “my husband’s hands were tied, not yours.”

http://www.ejpress.org/article/60269

--Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

1972. I was there, sad and shocking.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

It would be nice...not to mention a big middle finger to the ICO and radical Islam if the athletes themselves could figure out some kind of symbol or sign to flash every time they stepped up on the podium as a way to pay respects to the athletes that died.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Spitzer declared the IOC’s continued refusal is evidence of it being “a corrupt organisation, led by greed rather than the Olympic spirit”, adding that “the IOC’s refusal is pure discrimination – greed and anti-Semitism

Do what I want or you are an anti-Semite?

That will win you converts ...

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Spitzer declared the IOC’s continued refusal is evidence of it being “a corrupt organisation, led by greed rather than the Olympic spirit”, adding that “the IOC’s refusal is pure discrimination – greed and anti-Semitism

If the shoe fits and all...

Hey king of snark where is the harm in having a minute of silence? I can only think it would piss off the Muslims. Can you offer a better reason?

I don't care what her specific motivations are, they deserve the minute of silence as I'm sure most people would agree.

And after that we dig up the dead terrorists and kill them all over again.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I don't care what her specific motivations are, they deserve the minute of silence as I'm sure most people would agree.

And after that we dig up the dead terrorists and kill them all over again.

I can think of only two reasons why now that mention it

1. antisemitism

2. Dont want to offend the Muslims

Anyone agreeing with this ban of the minute of silence is either 1 or 2

Judaism doesn't seek converts. It is not a proseltyzing religion.

And, it's not simply that the IOC isn't doing what she says, it's that they are unable to act due to the pressures of the Arab/Islamic states. From the article:

"Spitzer claims that Rogge protested his inability to act earlier this year when the two met to discuss her appeals, saying his hands were tied by admission of 46 Arab and Muslim members to the IOC. 'No,' Spitzer claims she responded, 'my husband’s hands were tied, not yours.'"

Assuming that Spitzer is telling the truth, Rogge admitted that the Arab and Muslim states would not permit the moment of silence. So, either she is lying, or the IOC's actions are being dictated by antisemitic governments with a vicious animus towards Israel and Jews. Is it your contention that she is lying? If so, please say so explicitly, and if not, do the same. And, if you believe that she is lying, perhaps you could explain why the IOC felt that a moment of silence in remembrance of murdered Olympic athletes was inappropriate?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I can think of only two reasons why now that mention it

1. antisemitism
    2. Dont want to offend the Muslims

Anyone agreeing with this ban of the minute of silence is either 1 or 2
    I would guess that AD is pro minute of silence.

Personally I would have not gone the anti-semite route. Muzzie appeasement and/or greed, yes.
    Last edited by JB; 07-19-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Judaism doesn't seek converts. It is not a proseltyzing religion.

And, it's not simply that the IOC isn't doing what she says, it's that they are unable to act due to the pressures of the Arab/Islamic states. From the article:

"Spitzer claims that Rogge protested his inability to act earlier this year when the two met to discuss her appeals, saying his hands were tied by admission of 46 Arab and Muslim members to the IOC. 'No,' Spitzer claims she responded, 'my husband’s hands were tied, not yours.'"

Assuming that Spitzer is telling the truth, Rogge admitted that the Arab and Muslim states would not permit the moment of silence. So, either she is lying, or the IOC's actions are being dictated by antisemitic governments with a vicious animus towards Israel and Jews. Is it your contention that she is lying? If so, please say so explicitly, and if not, do the same. And, if you believe that she is lying, perhaps you could explain why the IOC felt that a moment of silence in remembrance of murdered Olympic athletes was inappropriate?

I would really like to hear his answer to this.