Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I would guess that AD is pro minute of silence.

Personally I would have not gone the anti-semite route. Muzzie appeasement and/or greed, yes.
    You would be correct.

I think Costas intends to say something during the Opening Ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Judaism doesn't seek converts. It is not a proseltyzing religion.
    Converts to her cause, which I assumed was a moment of silence for Israeli athletes, not her religion.

I could be wrong and her cause is something else.

And, it's not simply that the IOC isn't doing what she says, it's that they are unable to act due to the pressures of the Arab/Islamic states. From the article:

"Spitzer claims that Rogge protested his inability to act earlier this year when the two met to discuss her appeals, saying his hands were tied by admission of 46 Arab and Muslim members to the IOC. 'No,' Spitzer claims she responded, 'my husband’s hands were tied, not yours.'"

Assuming that Spitzer is telling the truth, Rogge admitted that the Arab and Muslim states would not permit the moment of silence. So, either she is lying, or the IOC's actions are being dictated by antisemitic governments with a vicious animus towards Israel and Jews. Is it your contention that she is lying? If so, please say so explicitly, and if not, do the same. And, if you believe that she is lying, perhaps you could explain why the IOC felt that a moment of silence in remembrance of murdered Olympic athletes was inappropriate?
    She accused the IOC of anti-Semitism. I reject your dichotomous "question."

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I think Costas intends to say something during the Opening Ceremony.
    That's nice but the IOC needs to get behind this. And every Arab/Muslim nation needs to support in it a "yes, we do not condone terrorism" kind of way.

Well, currently not Iran, Egypt, Syria and maybe Libya. I don't have a current scorecard of who is officially calling for the wiping of Israel off the map.
    Be Not Afraid.

Converts to her cause, which I assumed was a moment of silence for Israeli athletes, not her religion.

I could be wrong and her cause is something else.
    I misunderstood your comment. I think that we can agree that her cause is to have the IOC officially commemorate the Munich murders, whose victims included her husband. However, if you believe her cause to be something else, what might that be? And what motivation would there be for not commemorating the atrocity?

She accused the IOC of anti-Semitism. I reject your dichotomous "question."
    Of course you do. There is no dichotomy. The first question, whether or not you think that Mrs. Spitzer lied about what Rocce said, is a simple yes or no. She is either telling the truth about what Rocce said, or she is not. If she is telling the truth, then you have to weigh whether the statement indicates that the IOC was motivated by antisemitism. Given that she is claiming that the IOC president specifically said that his hands were tied by the Arab/Muslim states, and that these are certainly anti-semitic states (Many of them will not even permit a Jew to enter their borders), then it is reasonable to assume that if the IOC is being forced to toe their line, then the IOC is complicit in advancing the antisemitism of those states, and her accusation is correct. Certainly, the corruption and greed part is, right?

I realize that you enjoy evading direct questions like that, so that you can then pretend that we are accusing you of holding positions that you don't hold, but it gets tiresome for the rest of us. If you do not want to get into whether or not you believe Mrs. Spitzer, then let us concede, for the sake of argument, that Mrs. Spitzer is telling the truth about Rocce's statement. Do you think that the IOC is correct to refrain from an official act of remembrance (Costas is not an IOC official, and his mention of the murders is not an IOC-sanctioned remembrance)? Or, are you going to reject this question, as well?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

That's nice but the IOC needs to get behind this. And every Arab/Muslim nation needs to support in it a "yes, we do not condone terrorism" kind of way.

Well, currently not Iran, Egypt, Syria and maybe Libya. I don't have a current scorecard of who is officially calling for the wiping of Israel off the map.
    Bingo.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

My argument is similar-what nation would be offended by the moment of silence, as the Munich terrorists were not affiliated with any official nation? Furthermore, the moment of silence is honoring dead athletes. It is not condemning all muslims, so why should muslims be offended?

I was a kid when this happened, but I remember how shocked everyone was-parents, teachers (when school started a few weeks later), pretty much everyone was affected. That was back in the day before Grandpa discovered his jewish heritage, so I also remember his anti-Israel comments.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My argument is similar-what nation would be offended by the moment of silence, as the Munich terrorists were not affiliated with any official nation? Furthermore, the moment of silence is honoring dead athletes. It is not condemning all muslims, so why should muslims be offended?

I was a kid when this happened, but I remember how shocked everyone was-parents, teachers (when school started a few weeks later), pretty much everyone was affected. That was back in the day before Grandpa discovered his jewish heritage, so I also remember his anti-Israel comments.
    It's not even condemning Muslims. It's honoring those who were murdered during the games 40 years ago.

Many of them will not even permit a Jew to enter their borders
    Or anyone with an Israeli stamp on their passport I've been told.

but the IOC needs to get behind this. And every Arab/Muslim nation needs to support in it a "yes, we do not condone terrorism" kind of way.
    They haven't yet so why should they start now?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

If the murdered athletes were any other nationality or race this wouldn't even be a question so yes, I would say this is driven by antisemitism. The lack of courage by IOC is not surprising.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it....

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

Pretty much any one that sponsors terrorism against Israel, which is almost all of the 57 self-identified Islamic states that belong to the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, not to mention those countries with a serious anti-semitic bent in their leadership, such as Venezuela.

Meanwhile, it would be nice if the Obama administration weighed in on the side of decency for once.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

Meanwhile, it would be nice if the Obama administration weighed in on the side of decency for once.
    Fat chance. He's sided with these terrorists and despots his entire tenure. What makes you think he's going to change now?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.