Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ready to Pay Online Sales Tax? 
    Get Ready to Pay Online Sales Tax

A price break for online shoppers may be ending soon, with growing support for sales taxes on purchases made on the internet. This means many online shoppers would pay at least 5 percent more than they do today. Republicans in Congress have joined Democrats to support a bill that would give states authority to force Amazon, eBay, and other online companies to collect sales taxes. Now, says The Wall Street Journal, Republican governors “eager for new revenue to ease budget strains, are dropping their longtime opposition to imposing sales taxes on online purchases.” The Journal calls it “a significant political shift” that could lead to a change in federal law. Brick-and-mortar retailers have long argued that they face an unfair price disadvantage. But the change amounts to a tax hike for many consumers.

ABCNews

------------------------------

So the bend over party of John Boehner and Mitch McConnell are 'testing the waters' again. Why no cuts? Ohhh thats right .... that would be a conservative value. And last I checked conservatives or conservatism is 'radical'. On a par with 'terrorism'. We wouldnt want the GOP to be saddled with that monicker would we? Nooo.... /s
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

I don't shop online all that much, just to order books I can't find in the bookstore.

Michigan has been retroactively charging people for taxes on alcohol and tobacco products bought online, but those are not sales taxes, they are sin taxes.

From what I understand, some states do charge sales tax on items bought via the internet, and companies like Amazon automatically include it when you place your order. The states who don't must be starting to feel left out.

I thought that the Republicans were against new taxes---and this is a new tax. It looks like when you look beyond the surface, all politicians want their hands in our collective wallets.

Brace yourself and get ready for a new, lower lifestyle. Barack has prepared us for it. With the weak-kneed Republicans, that's just more than likely going to happen.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

I prob do about 90% of my shopping online. Its so much cheaper if your not in too big a hurry. And theres no sales tax in most states like mine that are governed by republicans. Apparently local GOP are usually reliable. But the closer they get to the national level, the more they look just like the other team of clowns.

We are already being screwed out the wazoo by the dems on tax issues. So just where the hell is the opposing party?? This is the sort of thing that really frosts me about the GOP "leadership". What a bunch of spineless weasels. About the only time they stand up for the limited govt I envision and vote for is when they can grab a headline that will mislead their base at election time. Then quickly scramble to hide back under the rock they crawled out from lest they incur the wrath of the left. (Wouldnt want to be uninvited to the DC cocktail circuit now would they?) I wish more people paid attn to this stuff. But I know the odds ...

Republican governors “eager for new revenue to ease budget strains...

Cue Requiem for fiscal conservativism. It's not about your economic freedoms, it's about their nanny state.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Republican governors “eager for new revenue to ease budget strains...

Cue Requiem for fiscal conservativism. It's not about your economic freedoms, it's about their nanny state.
    I sorta doubt that it is a big republican support group in view of the fact that this is coming from ABC & WSJ. Not to say that we dont have plenty of RINOs who would just love this. But thats my guess ...

Chris Christie wants it.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Part of the new Justice Roberts doctrine, you can tax the people all you want, tax them into the fucking ground, it's not my problem.
    Be glad you are still able to buy a product, the government would like to take all your money and then decide who is worthy of what.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Amazon generally does not collect state sales tax. But.... with the opening of a shipping center in the Ft Worth / Dallas metroplex they will soon start collecting the TX sales tax. This is the way they have avoided the bookkeeping headaches since their beginning. In any state they did not have a physical presence, they did not collect state based taxes. In states they did have a presence, they did collect. Now the state lege in several states are listening to their in-state, brick & mortar business and leveling the field by outlawing that loophole.
    Yes, it is a tax hike. Yes, it is better for the local community.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Amazon generally does not collect state sales tax. But.... with the opening of a shipping center in the Ft Worth / Dallas metroplex they will soon start collecting the TX sales tax. This is the way they have avoided the bookkeeping headaches since their beginning. In any state they did not have a physical presence, they did not collect state based taxes. In states they did have a presence, they did collect. Now the state lege in several states are listening to their in-state, brick & mortar business and leveling the field by outlawing that loophole.
    Yes, it is a tax hike. Yes, it is better for the local community.
    Amazon has made deals with a couple states.

Get Ready to Pay Sales Tax on Amazon
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.