Thread: Comparing the US Naval Academy To Columbia !

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    If you read her blog you would know she definitely thinks for herself

http://www.mccainblogette.com/

The mascot on the Straight Talk

Eyelids
    I laughed out loud when she picked that Stereolab song as the song of the day. I dont think she really knew what it meant.

Yeah, Huff Po made asses of themselves over that.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Maybe she thinks for herself? That kind of gives off more of a positive impression than being boring and just supporting whatever her father supports.
    Do you have a college aged daughter willie ?They choose the school they want to go to based on where their friends may go,what they hear on the latest music beat and where the good looking guy all go .Academics are usually far down on the list for most young woman.Columbia university would scare most of the pizza generations young woman away because of the work load and it's location !

5. #55 Information for Cold Warrior 
    Cold Warrior,
    I stumbled across this thread through a random search i found on Google. After reading your thoughts on the Academies, it greatly angered me of your simple arrogance. I found myself having to join this website in order to correct your interpretations. First of all, you say that John McCain graduating near in his class makes him less then Graduating say in the middle of his class at the Academy. For those who are uninformed you may not understand that the last ranked guy in the graduating class receives a dollar from each member of the class. This is a tradition that has been around for ages, it is seen as a sign of respect that anyone who can get through the Naval Academy whether first or last deserves the same respect because they had struggled through some of the hardest years of their life.
    Second you contend that Colombia and the Naval Academy do not compare academically. This is a GREAT misinterpretation. I contend that the Naval Academy has tougher academics then schools such as Colombia. The academy prides itself on its small student to faculty ratio. What is so significant of this ratio is that it combines a staff of half military professors and half civilian professors. These professors come from every ivy league school from Yale, Harvard, Colombia, and Princeton. As one ivy league professor described the academy "the rigors of the academics are on par with ivy league schools, yet there is no inflation of grades in order to provide a better looking school." As a midshipman you receive the grade that you receive and inflation of grades does not occur. Also you must understand that the rigors of daily life at the academy weigh heavily on how you can perform in academics. The weight of military performance as well as physical performance deteriorates your time you can spend toward academics. Yet you are still demanded to have perfection in all three areas.
    Third you speak of the "quality of candidates" that apply to the academy. This seemed the most absurd to me. Most candidates who apply to the Naval Academy are in the top 10% of their class, are actively involved in leadership in their respected school and sports, have very high activity in community service, and display some of the highest maturity and conduct found among students today.
    Cold Warrior next time do some research before you make such outstandingly outlandish remarks about the Academy. I hope you learned something and your elitist attitude about Ivy league schools can shove it, they are just a bunch of spoiled rich kids.