Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Pro-gay "marriage" pastor forced to close doors on church 
    This is what you call a classic example of not learning a lesson.

http://www.twincities.com/stpaul/ci_...g-gay-marriage

Grace Community United Church of Christ will close its doors this weekend, but the pastor who says his decision to publicly support gay-marriage rights unwittingly thrust it on a path toward financial ruin plans to find a new home for his small congregation.

The church has about 125 members left, but often fewer than 30 show up on a given Sunday. Goodlow said 15 longstanding members met in recent weeks to discuss next steps, and they seemed committed to keeping the ministry intact, even if they have to find a new home.

The ministry moved from St. Paul's Midway area to the current location on Forest Street, a few blocks north of Phalen Boulevard, in 2001.

White said his church's financial problems started in 2005 after he voted to support same-sex marriage at the United Church of Christ's national synod.

Attendance in the pews immediately dropped off the next week, and soon, three-fourths of his sizable congregation was gone.

The departures took a financial toll, so the church took out a $150,000 loan in April 2007 to pay its bills, using the church building as collateral. The ministry owned the structure and owed no debt on the building at the time.
    His first mistake was supporting gay "marriage." His second was using the church building as collateral against a risky loan intended to "pay bills."

And, of course, in light of the other thread I just posted, no one felt they had to sue this guy for his stance on the issue.

The UCC as a national organization supports gay rights, ordains gays, and has been doing so for a long time. However, unlike most other mainline protestant denominations, each congregation owns their own building and is free to leave the denomination at any time without losing their church. They also can stay within the UCC and vote on which policies of the national they wish to honor in their congregation and which they don't. Denominations like the UMC and the Episocopalian church own the individual church buildings and if the congregation decides to separate, they have to find a new building to use.

The UCC will "punish" a congregation that goes to far from national policies by refusing to send them ministerial candidates to interview for positions in their church.

I grew up in the UCC, and had to learn all the church and synod structure prior to confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The UCC as a national organization supports gay rights, ordains gays, and has been doing so for a long time.
    And yet it's interesting that after this pastor came out in support of gay "marriage," the majority of his congregants left.

He spoke, the people chose.

Actions, consequences.
    Be Not Afraid.

My mom's UCC church is "open and affirming" and has doubled it's membership since I moved to Detroit 25 years ago-the current pastor is the same one who took over the church when I was 14, and started implementing those changes immediately.

Different congregations in different communities have different issues. When my brother served as a pastor in the UCC, he had a congregation of mostly elderly people. He never could get the conregation to accept the denomination's national standards , so he left his job because he couldn't serve that congregation's needs. He never would have made the financial decisions that the church in the article made, though.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    And yet it's interesting that after this pastor came out in support of gay "marriage," the majority of his congregants left.
    McDonalds on the south of SPB closed up while the one on the north remains open. Explain that.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    McDonalds on the south of SPB closed up while the one on the north remains open. Explain that.
    You're not the sharpest crayon in the box in the special education room, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Lot's of fast food snobs on the south of SPB.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Lot's of fast food snobs on the south of SPB.
    Bingo. You can have essentially the same demographics and yet have two different rates of success even if the product is constant.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    This is what you call a classic example of not learning a lesson.

http://www.twincities.com/stpaul/ci_...g-gay-marriage

His first mistake was supporting gay "marriage." His second was using the church building as collateral against a risky loan intended to "pay bills."

And, of course, in light of the other thread I just posted, no one felt they had to sue this guy for his stance on the issue.
    How would you react if the church closed after the minister supported anti-gay discrimination?