Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 57 of 57
  1. #51  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,563
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    A lot of things don't occur to toddlers, like questioning some of the things they're being taught. That will come later.


    You've got to be taught
    To hate and fear
    You've got to be taught
    From year to Year
    It's got to be drummed
    in your dear little ear
    You've got to be carefully taught

    You've got to be taught
    To be Afraid
    Of people whose eyes
    are oddly made
    And people whose skin
    Is a different shade
    You've got to be carefully taught

    You've got to be taught
    Before it's too late
    Before you are 6 or 7 or 8
    To hate all the people
    your relatives hate
    You've got to be carefully taught


    - Rodgers & Hammerstein
    What, no cute song about NE Liberal bigots masquerading as Conservatives? I'm shocked!
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #52  
    Senior Member Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Western MI
    Posts
    2,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    If only my mother could see things this way. Family dinners would be less tense.
    The way these things usually flesh out is either you're just like your mother so you don't get along, or you're the exact opposite of your mother so you don't get along.

    If I remember correctly you're in your early 20s? It gets better as the years go by, usually.

    If you could bring yourself to tell her you respect her beliefs even though you don't share them, and maybe she could say it too? Families are a PITA!

    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.



    Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #53  
    Senior Member Generation Why?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Thurston County, WA
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    The way these things usually flesh out is either you're just like your mother so you don't get along, or you're the exact opposite of your mother so you don't get along.

    If I remember correctly you're in your early 20s? It gets better as the years go by, usually.

    If you could bring yourself to tell her you respect her beliefs even though you don't share them, and maybe she could say it too? Families are a PITA!

    I am 24, yes. I have told her that I respect her right to believe what she wants. She doesn't really reciprocate on account of the whole atheist thing. Mind you she is a Southern Baptist, as was I as a child. It was its worst around the time North Carolina voted on gay marriage. You guys know how I voted. She disagreed. Didn't talk for 2 months. That, in my opinion, is the problem with our country. Not that she is a Republican, I am a Libertarian, or people are Democrats, but because people let issues like that, which my mother's side won BTW, affect so many other aspects of our lives. I do believe that there is nothing wrong with gay people getting married. I think more issues will lead to the American downfall, such as our massive entitlement programs and our over-stretched military, before gay marriage does. I don't like how many of you view it, but I respect your opinions no matter how much I disagree with them.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

    Power Point Ranger
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #54  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,428
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    What, no cute song about NE Liberal bigots masquerading as Conservatives? I'm shocked!
    I'm okay with being called "liberal" by you because I don't hate people. You can handle that department pretty well.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #55  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,563
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I'm okay with being called "liberal" by you because I don't hate people. You can handle that department pretty well.
    Excuse me while I . Jumping to conclusions without any facts and bigoted posting, nice set of character traits you have there.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #56  
    Senior Member Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Western MI
    Posts
    2,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    I am 24, yes. I have told her that I respect her right to believe what she wants. She doesn't really reciprocate on account of the whole atheist thing. Mind you she is a Southern Baptist, as was I as a child. It was its worst around the time North Carolina voted on gay marriage. You guys know how I voted. She disagreed. Didn't talk for 2 months. That, in my opinion, is the problem with our country. Not that she is a Republican, I am a Libertarian, or people are Democrats, but because people let issues like that, which my mother's side won BTW, affect so many other aspects of our lives. I do believe that there is nothing wrong with gay people getting married. I think more issues will lead to the American downfall, such as our massive entitlement programs and our over-stretched military, before gay marriage does. I don't like how many of you view it, but I respect your opinions no matter how much I disagree with them.
    Over-politicking things is a HUGE problem in the country. People take someone disagreeing with them personally and lots of times would rather hold their views than maintain the friendship/family. I think it's funny because no matter how nasty you are to a family member or anyone else, you're not going to change their mind! My son brought a friend of his over for supper once, and the friend knows I'm a conservative so he thought he'd do something wild to get my goat. He wore a Che shirt. I looked at it, took a deep breath and asked him if he likes keilbasa!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.



    Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #57  
    Senior Member Generation Why?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Thurston County, WA
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Over-politicking things is a HUGE problem in the country. People take someone disagreeing with them personally and lots of times would rather hold their views than maintain the friendship/family. I think it's funny because no matter how nasty you are to a family member or anyone else, you're not going to change their mind! My son brought a friend of his over for supper once, and the friend knows I'm a conservative so he thought he'd do something wild to get my goat. He wore a Che shirt. I looked at it, took a deep breath and asked him if he likes keilbasa!
    Who doesn't like keilbasa?
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

    Power Point Ranger
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •