1. #1 History of Savannah GA 
    Savannah

Founded in 1733 by colonists led by James Edward Oglethorpe, Savannah is the oldest city in Georgia and one of the outstanding examples of eighteenth-century town planning in North America.

Colonial and Revolutionary Eras

Savannah was, by

design, the first step in the creation of Georgia, which received its charter from King George II in April 1732, as the thirteenth and last of England's American colonies. In November 1732 Oglethorpe, with 114 colonists, sailed from England on the Anne. This first group of settlers landed at the site of the planned town, then known as Yamacraw Bluff, on the Savannah River approximately fifteen miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean, on February 12, 1733.

After establishing cordial relations with Chief Tomochichi of the resident Yamacraw Indians, and Indian trader and liaison Mary Musgrove, Oglethorpe
    Courtesy of Georgia Info, Digital Library of Georgia
    James Oglethorpe
    began to carry out his concept for the layout of Savannah. Oglethorpe and Savannah's coplanner, William Bull of South Carolina, laid out a town loosely based on the London town model but featuring wards built around central squares, with trust lots on the east and west sides of the squares for public buildings and churches, and tything lots for the settlers' homes on the north and south sides of the squares.

Oglethorpe and the Georgia Trustees originally conceived Savannah, and the new colony, as a philanthropic endeavor. It was the Trustees' intention to provide a refuge for English debtors who could establish the basis for an agrarian class of small, yeoman farmers working in concert with a business and mercantile class in Savannah, thus providing a commercial outpost to the neighboring colony of South Carolina.
    Courtesy of Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries
    Savannah City Plan, 1734
    In Savannah's formative years, and through most of Georgia's period as a proprietary colony, there was a ban on slavery. This was lifted in 1750. There were additional prohibitions in the new colony on "spirituous liquors" (until 1742), and Catholics were forbidden to live in the colony until the territorial and commercial disputes in the region between England and Spain were settled in 1748. There were no lawyers until 1755.

The early history of Savannah is remarkable for the sheer diversity of its people. Religious observance played an important role in the early life of Savannah. In addition to its founding English settlers, Jews arrived from London in the summer of 1733; they later founded the Congregation Mickve Israel, the oldest Jewish congregation in the South. In the spring of 1734 came Evangelical Lutherans from Salzburg, known as Salzburgers, who settled on the Savannah River at a town they named Ebenezer. Scottish Highlanders and German Moravians came in 1736, followed by Dutch, Welsh, and Irish settlers. John Wesley and Charles Wesley conducted Anglican services. In 1737 the Reverend George Whitefield arrived and soon after founded Bethesda, colonial America's first orphanage.

Savannah citizens played prominent roles in the cause of American independence, although Georgia, as a general rule,

was somewhat slower than the other British colonies to embrace the Revolutionary fervor sweeping the rest of the Atlantic seaboard. The Liberty Boys, a group of Savannah men prominent in the independence movement, met periodically at Peter Tondee's Tavern, at the corner of Broughton and Whitaker streets. Three men who lived or maintained professional connections in Savannah were Georgia's signers of the Declaration of Independence—Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, and George Walton.
    Read More> http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/n....jsp?id=h-1056

Savannah is one of my favorite places, I can eat my way from one side to the other, that woman and I enjoyed Tybee Island too.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

When we go to Savannah we stay right down town. The old cemeteries; all the public squares, just the general feel of the place appeals to us.
    There's a book store where we have found numerous books detailing the history of Savannah, and the sometimes quirky people who have lived there.
    We even have a "Bird Girl" (From Midnight at The Garden of Good and Evil) statue in our flower garden.

I can't remember the name of it, but have you found that nifty sort of outdoor sea food restaurant just outside of town? There are holes in the middle of the tables that are used to shove the shells and debris off the table.....Great Fun! And you will eat!

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    When we go to Savannah we stay right down town. The old cemeteries; all the public squares, just the general feel of the place appeals to us.
    There's a book store where we have found numerous books detailing the history of Savannah, and the sometimes quirky people who have lived there.
    We even have a "Bird Girl" (From Midnight at The Garden of Good and Evil) statue in our flower garden.

I can't remember the name of it, but have you found that nifty sort of outdoor sea food restaurant just outside of town? There are holes in the middle of the tables that are used to shove the shells and debris off the table.....Great Fun! And you will eat!
    The food there is excellent but I don't remember the name of it.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Power CUer
    My favorite restaurant there is the wonderful Elizabeth on 37th:

http://www.elizabethon37th.net/
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    My favorite restaurant there is the wonderful Elizabeth on 37th:

http://www.elizabethon37th.net/
    Their menu looks delicious!