Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Quote from the Czech Republic 
    A friend sent this to me and it really got me thinking about the state of the Union----and not talking about the Obummer's speech. I think the author of this article is basically right, we get the government we deserve. I would like to say that I don't know why we'd deserve this abomination of a "leader", but it becomes pretty obvious. Too many of our citizens are looking for a free ride, can't think clearly, listen to all the hype from the MSM and want to feel all warm and fuzzy and politically correct.

Here's the article. What do you think?

Some people have the vocabulary to sum up things in a way that you can quickly understand them. This quote came from the CzechRepublic. Someone over there has it figured out. It was translated into English from an article in the Prague newspaper Prager Zeitungon .

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama, but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools, such as those who made him their president."
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

2. #2 I think they nailed it... 
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    A friend sent this to me and it really got me thinking about the state of the Union----and not talking about the Obummer's speech. I think the author of this article is basically right, we get the government we deserve. I would like to say that I don't know why we'd deserve this abomination of a "leader", but it becomes pretty obvious. Too many of our citizens are looking for a free ride, can't think clearly, listen to all the hype from the MSM and want to feel all warm and fuzzy and politically correct.

Here's the article. What do you think?
    Some people have the vocabulary to sum up things in a way that you can quickly understand them. This quote came from the CzechRepublic. Someone over there has it figured out. It was translated into English from an article in the Prague newspaper Prager Zeitungon .

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama, but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools, such as those who made him their president."

And so did you.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim54 View Post

And so did you.
    The problem isn't the American people, it's the elite media. The Journolist scandal revealed a mindset that was almost identical to the adolescent idiocy that we find at DU. Had Obama's record (or, more specifically, his complete lack of a record) been subjected to public scrutiny, he'd have been laughed off of the ballot. The press worked to ensure that any questions about his lack of qualifications and history of radical associations were met with vicious attacks and smears, while his opponents were subjected to the most vitriolic and dishonest attacks in recent memory. The people responsible for informing the rest of us are, as a group, even more dishonest and despicable than the politicians that they foist upon us.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The problem isn't the American people, it's the elite media. The Journolist scandal revealed a mindset that was almost identical to the adolescent idiocy that we find at DU. Had Obama's record (or, more specifically, his complete lack of a record) been subjected to public scrutiny, he'd have been laughed off of the ballot. The press worked to ensure that any questions about his lack of qualifications and history of radical associations were met with vicious attacks and smears, while his opponents were subjected to the most vitriolic and dishonest attacks in recent memory. The people responsible for informing the rest of us are, as a group, even more dishonest and despicable than the politicians that they foist upon us.
    You're right.
    But peeling back the layers of the onion even further, I think we find that the control freaks of the world become journalists or teachers. Control freaks love to inform. And as a teacher or a journalist they are given a podium from which they preach whatever message they believe the rest of us have 'missed'.
    'Informing us' is, indeed, what they do. Or perhaps we should say, 'misinforming us'.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    You're right.
    But peeling back the layers of the onion even further, I think we find that the control freaks of the world become journalists or teachers. Control freaks love to inform. And as a teacher or a journalist they are given a podium from which they preach whatever message they believe the rest of us have 'missed'.
    'Informing us' is, indeed, what they do. Or perhaps we should say, 'misinforming us'.
    This is like the proverbial chicken and the egg. I do believe that much of the problems go back to the classroom. I lasted as a teacher for only a bit over a year, because I looked around and saw the complete idiocy of some of my associates and went running into the business world. Sometimes the least informed people are the ones who so earnestly do that preaching of an unconsidered doctrine.

And yes, there are some folks that I associate with now who were teachers and the most complete control freaks that I have ever met.

But the chicken and the egg thing comes with the ability of the "student" or grown up to start thinking for themselves. I had some fairly doctrinaire teachers but I always looked at them with skepticism. I didn't believe the garbage they were spewing. My mom always said I was a rebellious kid who didn't always listen to what was hammered into me. She thought that was a curse. I thought it was a blessing. It depends on the point of view.

What makes some kids accept all the garbage spewed at them as gospel and others say, "hell no that isn't right".

If we ever figure out what it takes to make our kids critical thinkers, there will be more hope for the future generations (and us). There has to be something in the mindset of people to believe the nonsense coming from the press. The tendency to follow the leader and believe the garbage was most dramatically shown in Nazi Germany. Critical thinkers are needed, but too many sell their votes for empty promises, for that "hope and change" thing.,
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

SLW, that was an extraordinarily good piece of analysis, and shows the foreign press is often willing to say things that our own press would never print, no matter how sound and true they might be.

...Which is where I have to differ with my comrade Ody a bit, in that I don't see the ignorant, entitlement-craving mob as a creature of the MSM, but to a large extent the other way around. Media lives on market, the more populist, opportunistic, and venal it is, the more successful it is, because it is all about numbers. This does create an unholy progeny when that natural mass market force combines with the Liberal values of the large majority of the media magnates, true, because they do try to shape the message to fit their ideology, but the mass market force is the engine of the whole thing. There seems to me to be an equal potential for it to take society down the crapper in any number of ways, the 'Bread and circuses' despite ultimate fiscal catastrophe mode we're in now is only one of a dozen ways to fail.

What makes some kids accept all the garbage spewed at them as gospel and others say, "hell no that isn't right".

If we ever figure out what it takes to make our kids critical thinkers, there will be more hope for the future generations (and us).
    There has to be something in the mindset of people to believe the nonsense coming from the press. The tendency to follow the leader and believe the garbage was most dramatically shown in Nazi Germany. Critical thinkers are needed, but too many sell their votes for empty promises, for that "hope and change" thing.,
    That part...IMHO falls on us...the parents.

I clearly recall my mom turning off Sesame Street and turning on the Watergate Hearings for me to watch as a kid because as she told me..."this was important history."

I've been a political/current events junkie ever sense...and I've tried to pass it on to my kids.

My 16 y/o daughter especially has taken after me on this. We talk about current events...why some people say things that are obviously false and go against what she knows to be true.

In short...she gets it.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

IMHO you are entirely correct on the malfeasance of the media, but when almost half the population pay no taxes and the political parties (more so the Democrats pandering to the non producers) basically bribe their respective constituencies for votes then I fear the country is in deep trouble. We have a huge subset of the body politic that is completely dependent on government assistance for their very survival and they will only vote for whoever keeps the freebies coming. Entitlements are the main drivers of the coming tsunami and few (besides Ryan) have the stones to deal with it.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    This is like the proverbial chicken and the egg. I do believe that much of the problems go back to the classroom. I lasted as a teacher for only a bit over a year, because I looked around and saw the complete idiocy of some of my associates and went running into the business world. Sometimes the least informed people are the ones who so earnestly do that preaching of an unconsidered doctrine.

And yes, there are some folks that I associate with now who were teachers and the most complete control freaks that I have ever met.

But the chicken and the egg thing comes with the ability of the "student" or grown up to start thinking for themselves. I had some fairly doctrinaire teachers but I always looked at them with skepticism. I didn't believe the garbage they were spewing. My mom always said I was a rebellious kid who didn't always listen to what was hammered into me. She thought that was a curse. I thought it was a blessing. It depends on the point of view.

If we ever figure out what it takes to make our kids critical thinkers, there will be more hope for the future generations (and us). There has to be something in the mindset of people to believe the nonsense coming from the press. The tendency to follow the leader and believe the garbage was most dramatically shown in Nazi Germany. Critical thinkers are needed, but too many sell their votes for empty promises, for that "hope and change" thing.,
    Agreed. My mom taught in the NYC school system for thirty years, and I grew up around teachers. There are a tremendous number of control freaks, but the profession also attracts a certain kind of mediocrity, someone who loves to get in front of people and spout off, but who doesn't necessarily have the mastery of the subject. My mother's BA was in English literature and she had a masters degree, so when she taught English, she was teaching a subject that she was knowledgeable and passionate about. When my mother started teaching, it was one of the few professions open to women, and attracted the best and brightest, but now it tends to be staffed by education majors, who are academic mediocrities who spout the party line. Communications majors also tend to be rather dim, and journalism tends to attract them in spades. The talking heads on the air are mostly attractive dimwits whose ability to mouth the latest trendy ideas substitutes for intelligence. Soledad O'Brian comes to mind as the poster child for media-crity.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    SLW, that was an extraordinarily good piece of analysis, and shows the foreign press is often willing to say things that our own press would never print, no matter how sound and true they might be.

...Which is where I have to differ with my comrade Ody a bit, in that I don't see the ignorant, entitlement-craving mob as a creature of the MSM, but to a large extent the other way around. Media lives on market, the more populist, opportunistic, and venal it is, the more successful it is, because it is all about numbers. This does create an unholy progeny when that natural mass market force combines with the Liberal values of the large majority of the media magnates, true, because they do try to shape the message to fit their ideology, but the mass market force is the engine of the whole thing. There seems to me to be an equal potential for it to take society down the crapper in any number of ways, the 'Bread and circuses' despite ultimate fiscal catastrophe mode we're in now is only one of a dozen ways to fail.
    I think that we're debating chickens and eggs. The growth of the entitled class took decades, and it demanded a huge propaganda effort on the part of government and media. There have always been a core group of people who see themselves as victims, but the expansion of identity politics and entitlement programs has expanded this. My father, who just turned 87, recently discovered that he was eligible for food stamps. What would have humiliated and appalled him when he was a younger man is now seen as something that he has "earned" and the relentless drumbeat of that message in the media simply reinforces the sense of entitlement. The problem is that he doesn't see the government as having ripped him off for decades and then impoverishing him in his old age. Had he been allowed to keep his Social Security taxes and invest them, he'd be a millionaire now. Instead, the feds squandered it, and now he has to live off the scraps of the entitlement society. Ironically, he won't take money from me, because he doesn't want to burden me. This is the effect of socializing a problem. We impose enough middlemen so that the sources of the largess become obscured and the morality of the actions is blurred and inverted.

However, back to the OP. I still believe that there is a majority of Americans who want to be Americans, as we have defined ourselves for decades. I think that the core population of moochers and their enablers is probably about 40% of the electorate, with another 40-50% that is appalled by where we are going. The remainder are the independents, who don't really think much about it, but are swayed by the prevailing opinions that they are subjected to. Those are the people who were suckered into voting for Obama, and those are the people who are now picking up on that fact.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I think that we're debating chickens and eggs.
    I could agree with you but for the fact the problem goes back long before entitlements were the fulcrum. If you look at the 19th and early 20th Centuries, the lowest-common-denominator mass marketing of the press (Such as it was in the day) had a tremendous amount to do with fomenting the regional rivalries that gave us the Civil War, and stirring the pot on other racial and political issues which gave us the Mexican War, the Spanish American War, Japanese-Americans in camps, the Trail of Tears, and many other appalling instances of nations and peoples behaving badly (Outside the US, the role of the French press in pushing the War of 1870 comes to mind). There were certainly moderating influences in the media of the day for all these travesties, however they obviously weren't selling as many papers as the bad actors, and to my mind the modern schools of journalism have vastly overstated the impact of these voices of moderation or reason to clean up their own professional dirty laundry. The hand press, printing a few hundred copies of a broadside, was the height of printing technology at the time the First Amendment was written, I don't think the Founders even remotely foresaw what would happen when printing became mechanized and economies of scale affected the press, both on the demand and supply side.

It is an interesting juxtaposition against the argument so frequently made by gun control advocates that the Second Amendment was written with flintlocks in mind and so should not apply to modern weapons, is it not?