Hybrid View

1. #1 Plunge In CO2 Output Due To Natural Gas Fracking 
    The most underreported recent environmental story has been the dramatic decline in energy-related carbon emissions ó nearly back to mid-1990s levels, and falling. Maybe it's because that story just doesn't fit the left's mantra that traditional energy sources are destroying the environment. The U.S. Energy Information Administration's (EIA) June energy report says that energy-related carbon dioxide fell to 5,473 million metric tons (MMT) in 2011. That's down from a high of 6,020 MMT in 2007, and only a little above 1995's level of 5,314 MMT.

Better yet, emissions in the first quarter of 2012 fell at an even faster rate ó down 7.5% from the first quarter of 2011 and 8.5% from the same time in 2010. If the rest of 2012 follows its first-quarter trend, we may see total energy-related carbon dioxide emissions drop to early-1990s levels. That's a very positive environmental story, and yet you probably haven't heard a word about it. Especially from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)...

However, emissions began to fall after 2007, when Barack Obama was only a second-year senator ó so he doesn't get the credit. The most likely explanation for the decline is the shale gas revolution, made possible by hydraulic fracturing, or fracking. Increasingly, power plants are turning to natural gas because it has become abundant, and therefore cheap. And though technology is improving our ability to reduce emissions from coal usage, natural gas is still a much cleaner source...

That task is made more difficult when refiners have to rely on upgrading existing plants to meet new federal regulations rather than building new ones, leading several northeast refineries to shut down recently. The reason for the lack of new refineries is the EPA refused to grant any new building permits. The good news, according to the Associated Press, is that the EPA has just granted "final permit approval" to three Native American tribes in North Dakota to build a new refinery ó the first permit in the lower 48 states in 41 years. It's a start, but only a start.

So energy-related carbon dioxide emissions are way down, and it's mostly because of private sector innovations in energy production. It's a huge success story; just don't expect the EPA, or the media, to be telling it.

Merrill Matthews, Investor's Business Daily
    July 17, 2012
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar

CO2 Denier!!!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Wait a minute! If increased CO2 emissions leads to global warming, then decreased emission must cause global cooling! OMG!!!! I need to start burning carbon right away!

Whew... That ought to do it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Heretics... the lot of you.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Heretics... the lot of you.
    Then it's a good thing that I lit myself on fire.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!