1. #1 DUmmy tries to draw an analogy between cars and guns -- and fails miserably 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002999718

Tsiyu (13,928 posts)

If Cars were regulated like Guns are:
    ( This was posted in another thread, but I am making an OP about it )

Here's a thought:

Guns - cars. We get that analogy all the time.

"Well, cars kill people - should we outlaw cars?"

Um....we sure as fuck regulate them!

In order to drive a car, you must pass a driving test, show ID to get a license, and follow LIMITS - honor speed limits, drive on the correct side of the road, park in the proper place, acquire insurance, not drive impaired, keep children in car seats, wear our safety belts, not run people off the road, keep emissions standards in some places, etc. These are all government regulations on our car use. If you don't follow them, you lose your right to drive.

No, the right to drive was not addressed in the Constitution because we didn't have cars, but none would argue that in this day and age we use guns more than cars.

If we treated car ownership as we did gun ownership, we'd let anyone drive, no regulation, no speed limit, no insurance necessary, you could strap the kids to the top of the car ( rather than the dog ) you could go 100 miles per hour in your subdivision, or drive on the damn sidewalks if you wanted.

You could drive cars that spew oily smoke, that didn't have windshields, you could drive as drunk as you wanted ( "why take away MY right to drive sloshed just because some other sloshed fool killed a family of seven with his pickup?" would be the argument there ) , you could park wherever you wanted whenever you wanted. In short, it would be vehicle anarchy.

Fortunately, we realized that cars can be deadly, so we regulate them and force people to register them and we put limits on what kind of vehicle they can drive on the road and how they are allowed to use those vehicles.

So the car/gun comparison is a weak one, unless you are in favor of more control over deadly weapons.

Gun psychos won't ever quit trying to tell us we have no right to protect ourselves as a society from the gun nuts and their version of gun rights anarchy ( as witnessed in Aurora ) but goddamnit I'm sick of the fucking car/gun comparisons....

That is all
    The stupid. It really, really burns. Ouch.

Can someone help me out here. I am somewhat familiar with the Constitution but I can't seem to find the part that covers cars....
    "It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Quote Originally Posted by Bondai View Post
    Can someone help me out here. I am somewhat familiar with the Constitution but I can't seem to find the part that covers cars....
    The hypocrisy is stunning, they want registration and licences for a constitutional right (gun ownership) but BALK at doing the same for voting.

We should also heave tests and regulation to see if someone is smart enough to post on The Internet - but then the DUmp would have to shut down.