Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Let the freeloaders come forth! 
    It's time for all those who want to make a little blood money over the corpses of 12 innocent people to play their greedy hands.

One of the victims in the James Holmes mass murder spree has lawyered up and plans to file a lawsuit ... because he feels the theater dropped the ball in a very fatal way.

Torrence Brown, Jr. was in Century 16 Theater when Holmes let loose. One of Brown's best friends, A.J. Boik, was shot in the chest and died. Brown, who was not physically injured, claims to now suffer from extreme trauma.
    Story is here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I hope that **&^^$$(*^ gets laughed out of court!Dammit....what a piece of garbage
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Brown has hired attorney Donald Karpel to rep him. Karpel tells TMZ ... he is targeting 3 defendants.

1. The theater. Karpel claims it was negligent for the theater to have an emergency door in the front that was not alarmed or guarded. It's widely believed Holmes entered the theater with a ticket, propped the emergency door open from inside, went to his car and returned with guns.
    Sounds reasonable. It shouldn't be guarded but I can go along with having an emergency door alarmed. Although when it goes off ten times during a movie I'm sure the patrons will not be happy thus rendering the door unalarmed, again. I don't see giving the guy dough over this.

2. Holmes' doctors. Karpel says it appears Holmes was on several medications -- prescribed by one or more doctors -- at the time of the shooting and he believes the docs did not properly monitor Holmes.
    Of course, they're doctors. They probably have cash and insurance.

3. Warner Bros. Karpel says "Dark Knight Rises" was particularly violent and Holmes mimicked some of the action. The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie. Karpel tells TMZ,"Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today."
    LMAO. Yeah, we are. You think they would make violent movies if no one went to them? For more research into this phenomenon see: The Kardashians, Gazillionaires For No Reason.
    Be Not Afraid.

Wow. Just wow. It was only a matter of time.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    Wow. Just wow. It was only a matter of time.
    The cultural ghouls strike quickly.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    The cultural ghouls strike quickly.
    A product of living in a society where everything is done for you.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    A product of living in a society where everything is done for you.
    I tend to think of people who do things like this as eaters of the dead. The high tech ambulance chasers have taught people that it is ok to make a profit on the misfortune of others.

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I tend to think of people who do things like this as eaters of the dead. The high tech ambulance chasers have taught people that it is ok to make a profit on the misfortune of others.
    This is the kind of nuisance action that breeds shysters. The lawyer will take a percentage of the settlement as a contingency fee, and the defendants will try to settle, since it would be cheaper than going to court, and less adverse publicity. This is a compelling argument for tort reform. My suggestions:

• Loser pays. This would discourage frivolous suits and impose financial costs on litigants. Those who have a real case would still be inclined to sue, but those who are simply filing nuisance suits would be penalized for it.
    • Lawyer liability. If a lawyer takes a case for a contingency fee, then he should be considered a party to the lawsuit, and as such, held liable for a percentage of the costs if the loser pays.
    • Award limits. Awards should be limited to actual damages. In this case, the actual damages might be a change of underwear, but otherwise, there's nothing provable.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

3. Warner Bros. Karpel says "Dark Knight Rises" was particularly violent and Holmes mimicked some of the action. The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie. Karpel tells TMZ,"Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today."
    This is the most ridiculous charge of the 3. Holmes mimicked some of the action in DKR? Um, the release of the movie was 1/2 hour old before he started shooting. Unless his choice of vehicle was a Delorean with a flux capacitor or he worked the movie, he would have no idea what was in the movie. Also, having now seen the movie, maliciously shooting people in a theater didn't happen in the movie.

And the plaintiff is black. Go figure.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 07-25-2012 at 12:45 AM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

1. The theater. Karpel claims it was negligent for the theater to have an emergency door in the front that was not alarmed or guarded. It's widely believed Holmes entered the theater with a ticket, propped the emergency door open from inside, went to his car and returned with guns.

I don't know, I think this one actually has merit. I mean it's an EMERGENCY DOOR, aren't they supposed to be alarmed so that if there's a fire it alerts everyone else? Also, isn't it kind of odd that the emergency door can be held/propped open at a movie theater? That'd probably cause some serious revenue problems from teens sneaking their buddies in.

Sounds reasonable. It shouldn't be guarded but I can go along with having an emergency door alarmed. Although when it goes off ten times during a movie I'm sure the patrons will not be happy thus rendering the door unalarmed, again. I don't see giving the guy dough over this.
    But why would it be going off 10 times during a movie? It's the emergency door that leads outside, only supposed to be used during emergencies