Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Are you a dental coward? 
    Because I certainly am!!!!!

And at the moment I have a howling toothache, and I know I don't deserve any sympathy.

A filling in one of my molars fell out and took half the tooth away with it ... about six months ago, can you believe? ... and is finally bothering me!

I know, I know, this can impact heart health. Finally told Mr. ABC to make an appt. with *his* dentist for me, as soon as possible. He goes all the time for check-ups, teeth cleaning ... you name it ... plus he plays tennis with the guy!

Am too embarrassed to go back to my own ... which I *might* explain later on. ...

Until then, since his "wonderful" guy's office is CLOSED today, am putting on another dollup of Extra Strength Oragel in the gaping great hole!

Please, please, tell me that I am not the only one in here who is such a coward!

I would rather go through the *fun* of childbirth again ... and it was no picnic ... than to face a trip to the dentist's office! (need a smiley for blushing in here!)

~ One-chicken-hearted-ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

There are three things that scare me more than anything. Those are snaked, big spiders, and the dentist.

Im pretty cowardly too. Although I have been very lucky about having no cavities until just recently. Small ones at that.

Heres a blush smilie --->
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    A filling in one of my molars fell out and took half the tooth away with it ... about six months ago, can you believe? ... and is finally bothering me!

I know, I know, this can impact heart health.
    Not just heart health. The dentist doesn't scare me; an infection that can get to the brain certainly does.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I read some where if you dont get this condition taken care of within 96 hours you wake up Monday morning a liberal. If that doesnt make you go to the dentist nothing will.

Is it safe?
    Be Not Afraid.

I don't know that my wife is afraid of dentists but she sure don't like'm. She'll do most anything to avoid them. Her luck/genes/habits make it work for her. Relatively few problems, good dental hygiene from her youngest childhood and old men dentist who like to dote on the ladies.

Me? Not so much. But I'm going through a near complete rebuild right now so it's just as well that they don't bother me. The oral surgeon pulled two yesterday. That's after my dentist sent me over there as his last attempt was two and a half hours in the chair and he still left some root behind. I think I still have one or two more to repair and get a new partial built (my fourth) before I'm to be considered 'finished' ---- for now. Of course this is after a 5 tooth permanent bridge, two individual new crowns replacing old ones and one filling.

-------------------

What does scare me? I have an unreasonable fear of drowning.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    I don't know that my wife is afraid of dentists but she sure don't like'm. She'll do most anything to avoid them. Her luck/genes/habits make it work for her. Relatively few problems, good dental hygiene from her youngest childhood and old men dentist who like to dote on the ladies.

Me? Not so much. But I'm going through a near complete rebuild right now so it's just as well that they don't bother me. The oral surgeon pulled two yesterday. That's after my dentist sent me over there as his last attempt was two and a half hours in the chair and he still left some root behind. I think I still have one or two more to repair and get a new partial built (my fourth) before I'm to be considered 'finished' ---- for now. Of course this is after a 5 tooth permanent bridge, two individual new crowns replacing old ones and one filling.

-------------------

What does scare me? I have an unreasonable fear of drowning.
    Sounds like you either have great dental insurance or they're having you sign up for a loan.

What scares me about the dentist (at least the ones in Sarasota) is their predatory habits. When I went to the last one, she said she was so delighted and excited that she saw I had some implants. I told her to not get too excited, that did it while I was still working and had dental insurance. Her interest in me faded. LOL.

We're heading to St Louis this fall where I will go to the dentist that I trust. The other one here I'll use for having my teeth cleaned every 3 months. It's cheaper than getting all that dental work, been there, done that. I've learned.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS -THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR
    GO ROYALS NOW

I went to the dentist this year for the first time in 17 years. I have a big fear of dentists. However, believe it or not, my teeth weren't that bad. Just 3 small cavities. My gums needs work but they will recover. I will be going regularly from now on.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I went to the dentist this year for the first time in 17 years. I have a big fear of dentists.

Bless your boots, NJ ...

Makes me feel better to hear this from a man!

My gums needs work but they will recover.
    Friend of mine whose father was a dentist, told me long ago that most people do not realize the need to brush the gums as thoroughly as the teeth. Gums need daily stimulation in order for the teeth to remain healthy as well.

My problem with dentists, is NOT that I don't go ... on the contrary, it is the fact that I do, that has led to my fears.

Being the very vain creature that I am, ... I have had more work done (and put up with more pain) than you would believe.

I am now the proud owner of what dentists like to refer to as a "dazzling smile." Yes, all my top teeth are capped, bright sparkling white, nicely shaped specimens. I do love what they look like.

The bottom set, however (where this old filling finally gave out) is another matter altogether.
    I hesitate to have all my lower teeth done,because it is likely to change the shape of my mouth ... overbites etc.

Luckily for this chicken that I am ... it is a molar in the back that I am having trouble with ...it doesn't show when I smile or speak. Would have had it taken care of sooner if it had!!!

Am doing fine ... so far with the Oragel, but can't wait to have this taken care of.

Have a dinner party for friends coming up 2 weeks from today at our place, and am panicking at having to go through with it in pain.

As I said in the beginning, I deserve no sympathy whatsoever ... is totally of my own doing!

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980