Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Oh my!

Did I ever speak too soon earlier on in here when I wrote that am doing "fine" on the Oragel.

I am truly not one to complain ... especially to *strangers* online! Love CU, but don't know any of you personally. No insult intended.

But at the moment, I desperatately need a DISTRACTION to get through this "exquisite" pain ... which I do deserve for being such a fool to not go to the dentist sooner.

The words "exquisite pain" bring back funny memories from a long ago party in a frat house that Mr. ABC and I attended ... of a lefty, artist friend of ours in Canada. A total dingbat, but a very good artist.

I had a whopping great headache at the time ... and he told me to "embrace" it ... "pain is what makes you feel alive" or some such ridiculous words. Could have hit him, but didn't.

Oh Mercy! Would *now* if I had it to do it over!

Monday can not come soon enough. Am about ready to take a pair of pliers and rip the blinking tooth out myself!!!

Nevermind ... Mr. ABC has just given me a shot of brandy and I took an aspirin 20 minutes ago ... should work I think, crossing fingers!

Enough of this, all for now ~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Sounds like you either have great dental insurance or they're having you sign up for a loan.

My dental ins went away with my employment back in '08. It wasn't all that great even then. Everything I do now is out of pocket. I told my current 'employer' (the fella I'm currently consulting for) that when my teeth get finished, I'm quitting. Problem is I don't think my teeth will ever get finished.

I started repairs when I was 11 and have been actively filling, capping and rebuilding ever since. I just hate to think where I would be had I not also been brushing teeth, gums and tongue and getting frequent cleanings my whole life.

-----

On a similar note to ABC, I found out I'm more sensitive to Vicodin these days than I used to be. After the extractions Thursday I've had to smaple the pain killers a bit and have ended up a bit spin dizzy at times.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    My dental ins went away with my employment back in '08. It wasn't all that great even then. Everything I do now is out of pocket. I told my current 'employer' (the fella I'm currently consulting for) that when my teeth get finished, I'm quitting. Problem is I don't think my teeth will ever get finished.

I started repairs when I was 11 and have been actively filling, capping and rebuilding ever since. I just hate to think where I would be had I not also been brushing teeth, gums and tongue and getting frequent cleanings my whole life.

-----

On a similar note to ABC, I found out I'm more sensitive to Vicodin these days than I used to be. After the extractions Thursday I've had to smaple the pain killers a bit and have ended up a bit spin dizzy at times.
    I can't take vicodin or any of those pain killers. They really got me sick after my knee surgery, so I weaned myself off them quickly.

When I was a kid, I had an old-fashioned dentist who wouldn't even give a shot of novacaine. I learned to grip the arms of the dental chair and hang on. Probably that's why the dentists now don't frighten me. The various shots, etc make everything so much more tolerable.

Dental insurance just isn't all that great anyway. My old policy had a limit of $1k a year. You can go through that really fast. There are so darned many dentists here in Sarasota that I guess they're hard up for business. With the economy in it's current shape, people are delaying dental work. When a new patient comes, they want to redo your whole mouth, even if it's already been redone. It's scary here. I've never felt that way before, but it could be that I had a dentist I totally trusted in St Louis that I've gone to for at least 20 years. Maybe if I were trying to find a new dentist in St Louis, I'd run into the same problem. Both my sons, my daughter in law, and my sister and BIL all go to my St Louis dentist.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

The only thing that scares me is the cost and I have dental insurance!

Long procedures did bother my neck in the past, not sure what will happen post surgery.

I usually get the root canal and skip the crown as my insurance only covers 50% of the crown and my issues have been with back teeth from where I had bands from braces as a kid. (Five years ago )

The good news is I can roll part of my unused coverage over to the next calender year. So I have a little extra insurance banked for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Oh my!

Did I ever speak too soon earlier on in here when I wrote that am doing "fine" on the Oragel.

I am truly not one to complain ... especially to *strangers* online! Love CU, but don't know any of you personally. No insult intended.

But at the moment, I desperatately need a DISTRACTION to get through this "exquisite" pain ... which I do deserve for being such a fool to not go to the dentist sooner.

The words "exquisite pain" bring back funny memories from a long ago party in a frat house that Mr. ABC and I attended ... of a lefty, artist friend of ours in Canada. A total dingbat, but a very good artist.

I had a whopping great headache at the time ... and he told me to "embrace" it ... "pain is what makes you feel alive" or some such ridiculous words. Could have hit him, but didn't.

Oh Mercy! Would *now* if I had it to do it over!

Monday can not come soon enough. Am about ready to take a pair of pliers and rip the blinking tooth out myself!!!

Nevermind ... Mr. ABC has just given me a shot of brandy and I took an aspirin 20 minutes ago ... should work I think, crossing fingers!

Enough of this, all for now ~ ABC
    I hope you are able to get some rest!

When I was young, we were very regular dentist visitors. One of my father's best friends from childhood is a dentist, and his father was a dentist, and his son was, at the time, becoming a dentist. Later in my teen years, "young Matt," the son, became my regular dentist, and he is good. On the couple of occasions when he's had to drill on me, it was like it didn't even happen, and that was even without using Novocaine (needless to say, these were occasions in which he didn't have to drill deep). He's just that excellent with a drill.

When I was about 23, my wisdom teeth came in, of course creating some fairly serious pain for me on a Friday afternoon. I called Matt's office and explained the pain and he said he had been expecting my wisdom teeth to start causing me problems soon, based upon my last X-rays. He called in a script for me and told me to come in Monday morning, which I did. This experience taught me that I cannot take hydrocodone, because I had a horrible reaction to it, so I basically traded out the hydrocode for Jack Daniels for the rest of the weekend.

Monday morning came, and Matt took one look at the X-rays and said that yep, I was going to have to get my wisdom teeth taken out. He set up an appointment for the next afternoon with an oral surgeon, someone whose son I had known in middle school.

Bear ye in mind that I had never had any form of surgery or indeed any medical procedure more intense than a couple of stitches and a splint at this point in my life. I had never been under any form of anesthesia in my life, and honestly I didn't know what to expect, but I put my faith in this oral surgeon to take care of everything and I didn't really worry about it.

In I go to the oral surgeon, I've been NPO for 12 hours, filled out all of the forms, etc., etc. I got up into the chair and they started the IV, and there was the expected "count backwards" business. So I counted backwards and felt myself lifting off the table and everything was supposedly fine.

It wasn't.

The paralytic that they administered worked just fine. I was good and paralyzed. The anesthesia that was supposed to put me under .... didn't.

I wound up going through the entire procedure of having my teeth ripped out of my skull while I was wide awake, but paralyzed. I could hear and feel the teeth getting drilled on, then crushed up with a pair of pliers, and then yanked out of my head, each for four teeth. There simply are no words to describe how incredibly horrible that experience was. It's worse than anything I can think of in any horror movie. To this very day, nearly twenty years later, I have nightmares of that incident and wake up screaming about once every two weeks or so.

I've been back to the dentist one time since that experience, and I damn near went homicidal during a 30-minute cleaning. I can't even go in the door of a dentist these days.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    I've been back to the dentist one time since that experience, and I damn near went homicidal during a 30-minute cleaning. I can't even go in the door of a dentist these days.
    Adam ... you are such a sweetheart.

I don't know you, but I could hug you. Bless your boots! ...

That is *exactly* why I am too embarrassed to go back to my own dentist's office. I too, "damn near went homicidal" during a cleaning session.

Was pleased with all my new "pearly whites" that I had endured all the pain for ... and of course, they then set up an automatic appt. when done ... to come back later for a "cleaning/fleecing"-you-for-yet--MORE-money appointment!!!

So ... I then came back to have my bottom teeth cleaned, which then looked nowhere near as good as the top ones, and as I intended to come back to have my bottom ones whitened to match ... I fearfully kept my appointment.

Have always hated having my teeth cleaned ... but ... and close your eyes Linda, 'cause am about to use the word "bitch" again in here! (friendly-smile!)

This woman was the epitome of the word BITCH! A bitch from HELL itself, in fact!

She was not the least bit gentle, and I kept wincing, and finally put my hand up, in protest ... and yelled "STOP! You are hurting me, I don't want anymore!"

Well, you can just imagine what she said back to me, can you not? ...

So after getting up and leaving will all eyes upon me ... I have never been back since!

At least Mr. ABC's dentist friend will now know all about me, before I even get there, thank goodness!

Oh Mercy! ... The "exquisiteness " of all this pain that lets me know "that I am ALIVE" as that old friend said ... is getting to me ... will be back later when I can to reply to a few others in here!

~ ABC

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    I wound up going through the entire procedure of having my teeth ripped out of my skull while I was wide awake, but paralyzed. I could hear and feel the teeth getting drilled on, then crushed up with a pair of pliers, and then yanked out of my head, each for four teeth. There simply are no words to describe how incredibly horrible that experience was. It's worse than anything I can think of in any horror movie. To this very day, nearly twenty years later, I have nightmares of that incident and wake up screaming about once every two weeks or so.
    WTF. Are you shitting us? That is incredibly horrific.

Are you saying you felt it too? I can't imagine you didn't pass out from the pain.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    WTF. Are you shitting us? That is incredibly horrific.

Are you saying you felt it too? I can't imagine you didn't pass out from the pain.
    Oh rats ...

Thanks JB! Meant to comment on *that* as well!

Gotta go and make note to myself for later on, after 5:00 o'clock "happy hour" what a laugh... in the ABC household! Forget the way too innocent Merlot that I normally drink ... am heading straight for the brandy this time!!! ...

~ ABC

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I hope you are able to get some rest!
    Thanks so much Rob. ...

I think I am going insane with this pain. Is almost tomorrow (monday) thank goodness ... when hubby's dentist friend can give me some kind of pain killer script til I can get it taken care of.

My sister, poor thing, who is a what is it called ... can't think at the moment ... um ... bipolar, that's the word I want. She told me that "journaling" is good therapy.

Well ... I don't have a psychiatrist, as she does, but am trying to do it in here. Am honestly sorry guys!

So far 190 people have read it ... bless their boots. Makes me feel a bit better at least.

Really can't complain to my hubby, as he has much, much, bigger problems to deal with at the moment, with his esophageal cancer treatment appointment coming up on August 14th.

Oh Mercy! Am missing "Downton Abbey" ... will really help take my mind off of this much deserved garbage!

Gotta run ~ ABC