Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    After reading the thread on DU, I'd like to invite "Motherpetrie" to take a moment and visit reality. But, I already know better. She lives in Oz, where people don't walk, they hold hands and skip to their destinations.

What a despicable little halfwit to actually the believe the freedoms she enjoys abusing would exist without our military.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    O makin’ mock o’ uniforms that guard you while you sleep

Is cheaper than them uniforms, an’ they’re starvation cheap;

An’ hustlin’ drunken sodgers when they’re goin’ large a bit

Is five times better business than paradin’ in full kit.
    Appropriate, m00. Reflects teh attitude of the ingrates to a T.
    When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Naïve.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

I can't speak for any other Military heroes....But I joined the Marines a month after 9/11 for the following reasons:

1. I wanted to serve my country and possibly kick some radical islamist ass as retribution.
    2. My parents couldn't afford college and my recruiter promised that the GI Bill could help (which it is )
    3. The Marines sounded like a hell of a lot of fun. (12 countries, 20 states, 2 enlistments, 1 horribly advised marriage. It was a f&*^ing blast!)

I don't remember joining to kill people and carry out some kind of Criminal Minds fantasy. These liberal douchetards wouldn't understand service for a greater good unless it involved using Food Stamps to help provide their fellow morons with cheese doodles.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The kind of person who wants to kill strangers tends to get weeded out of the enlistment process very quickly, because we aren't looking for sadists or psychopaths. Sadists make lousy leaders, since they inflict maximum pain on their subordinates, and psychopaths are as likely to turn their weapons on their own side as the enemy. Neither group is a good fit for an institution that demands teamwork and personal discipline, but, of course, a DUmpster who has never thought about what kind of person defends him except in terms of the most blatantly negative stereotypes isn't going to see that.

Even if they make it through enlistment, they get weeded out in basic, like all the others who are unsuited for the military. I had a friend who enlisted after high school who the recruiter should have realized was in the early stages of the onset of schizophrenia. Her superior realized this after about a week or two of basic training and she was given an honorable "medical" discharge.

I think DUers think that military people are all like Niedermeyer in "Animal House". They don't know any personally, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Even if they make it through enlistment, they get weeded out in basic, like all the others who are unsuited for the military. I had a friend who enlisted after high school who the recruiter should have realized was in the early stages of the onset of schizophrenia. Her superior realized this after about a week or two of basic training and she was given an honorable "medical" discharge.

I think DUers think that military people are all like Niedermeyer in "Animal House". They don't know any personally, after all.
    Remember that far left politics are not meant to actually alleviate any of the issues that leftists claim to care about, but simply make them feel good about themselves. It's all posturing. Being anti-military for a lib is like being anti-Semitic in Europe; it's a socially permissible bigotry. In the case of the DUmmies, it permits them to maintain an air of moral superiority to us, without having to actually accomplish anything to justify it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

We never call people who join the military to kill people insane

We call them heroes.

Ever think about that?

Actually if someone who joined the military in order to kill people were discovered we would call them insane.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsean View Post
    Actually if someone who joined the military in order to kill people were discovered we would call them insane.
    It would be grounds for discharge. As I said above, psychopaths and sadists are not a good mix with the military. They make for poor leaders and terrible team members. They should stay in politics, where they belong.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

NNNHOLI hasn't come back to defend his post. Even the DUmmies kicked his ass.

Well, well, well. A DU thread that attempts to disparage members of the US military, what a surprise. It's public knowledge on this forum that I am retired military. I volunteered for a number of reasons that I won't bore you with but none of the reasons had anything to do with wanting to kill people, and that goes for everyone I talked to in basic training, tech school and throughout my career. Different people are motivated by different things. I have no doubt that there are military members who would like to be in combat and kill people, not just anybody, the enemy.I mean after all many of these soldiers we are talking about are members of front line combat units. Say what you want but I believe that their #1 duty when they are actively involved in hostilities is to kill the enemy. That's how you win wars.

It is also true that people do join the military for the promise of excitement, a chance to improve themselves or somehow prove themselves. Take a look at what happened after 911. People joined the military in droves. I am sure they all had their own reasons for joining up.Many wanted to stand up and defend the United States, after all we were attacked. They felt they had a responsibility to the nation and to themselves to protect our freedom and our way of life. I am positive that the 1st thing on their minds was not the hope that they were going to able to kill somebody.

DUmmies are not realistic and have no idea what the military is about. Many of them think that soldiers are no more than organized killers. Blood thirsty savages that kill without remorse with women and children being their favorite targets. Some of you will think I am exaggerating, I'm not. One would only have to have gone to DU when the war in Iraq was in full swing and read what was posted there. It was a constant military hate fest that went on for months. It is hard for me to believe that Skinner or the administrator of any other discussion forum would allow the posting of threats,lies,insults and misinformation about members of the US military in an to attempt to help build opposition to the war and increase membership and donations. All of this without one shred of evidence. In all the time this was going on not one person or group of people stepped up and said "stop it" enough is enough. I am in the military or my brother is in the military or my son, my daughter,my uncle. We are sick of your lies, of course it never happened. I consider Skinner to be a coward, emotionally handicapped and morally deficient. He is a Democrat and hard line leftist. He follows party doctrine without question and loves nothing more than to be able to lick the boots of the Democratic leadership, he is a true miscreant. For once in his life he should have acted like an American. He should have manned up took control of his forum and put a halt to the non stop attack on the integrity and motives of the US military and it's members.

It was totally outrageous and I have never seen anything like it in my life. He took no action. I don't know why he enjoys being the laughing stock of the internet. I don't know why he thinks it's a good thing to be under constant scrutiny by various government agencies or have the secret service calling him all the time about threats some of his members have made.

So in all fairness to the DUmmies we are beginning to see that they are just repeating what many of their elected leaders, forum owners and other prominent Democrats are saying. As we know DUmmies are good little sheep and when they are locked in "group think mode" it's impossible to predict what may happen. We have hundreds of examples of Democrat elected officials openly stating that members of our military were routinely killing Iraqi citizens and committing various atrocities, including torture,kidnapping and rape. They were accused of kicking open the doors of peoples homes in the middle of the night and kidnapping entire families and taking to them detention centers where they tortured and killed, never to be heard from again. There were times when every news channel you turned to showed a Democrat Senator or Representative with a face full of microphones talking smack about the military or it's members

So I guess that all I can say is that these days when I see another military bashing thread at DU I am not at all surprised. It is something that is ingrained into the forum and it's members. They are just like little puppies that have learned bad from their masters, they just can't stop misbehaving.I just roll my eyes and laugh to myself and then move on to something else, or in the case of this post I take the time to offer my views and experiences and maybe vent a little. The one thing I won't allow them to do is make angry, they just aren't worth it.
    "It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".