1. #1 Second athlete expelled for a racist tweet 
    Link
    Swiss soccer player Michel Morganella was expelled from the London Olympics today for sending a message that the Swiss team said ‘‘gravely insulted and violated’’ the dignity of South Korea after his team’s 2-1 defeat by the Koreans a day earlier.

‘‘As a member of the Swiss Olympic mission he gravely discriminated, insulted and violated the dignity of the South Korean football team and the South Korean people,’’ Swiss team chief Gian Gilli told reporters.

The 23-year-old is the second athlete to be expelled over a racist Twitter comment.

Greek triple jumper Paraskevi Papachristou was thrown out of her nation’s team last week, two days before the Games start.

In the message, with some syllables jumbled, for which he was expelled, Morganella said on Monday morning: ‘‘I punch you, South Koreans, go burn...’’ The rest of the message was considered sufficiently offensive by the Swiss team for Morganella to be sent home.

Gilli, who only read out a statement in German and did not take any questions, said Morganella’s comments were in direct violation of the International Olympic Committee’s and the Swiss team’s ethics codes.

‘‘As a consequence of this behaviour Michel Morganella, having conferred with the Swiss Football Association, is immediately stripped of his Olympic accreditation and all future participation in the Olympic tournament.’’

‘‘The Swiss team will now focus entirely on the next match. I wish the team inner peace and serenity,’’ Gilli said.

The player himself said he accepted the sanction and apologised.

‘‘I made a huge mistake after the disappointing result. I wish to apologise to the people in South Korea and their team, but also to the Swiss delegation and Swiss football in general. I obviously accept the consequences for my actions.’’

The Swiss, third in Group B, play Mexico in their next on Aug.1 which is also Switzerland’s national day.

The London Games are the first Olympics where social media are so widespread and the International Olympic Committee has urged athletes to tweet but always respecting the Games ethics code which all teams and athletes have signed.
    Dang.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Link

Dang.
    Meanwhile, the Lebanese judo team has their barrier so that they won't have to be subjected to the sight of live Israelis. Double standards are a sign of sophistication....
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Meanwhile, the Lebanese judo team has their barrier so that they won't have to be subjected to the sight of live Israelis. Double standards are a sign of sophistication....
    Yeah, why are the Lebanese still there? They should be told to pack up and go home as well.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

‘‘I punch you, South Koreans, go burn...’’

How is this racist? Do South Koreans have a stereotype of being particularly flammable?

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post

How is this racist? Do South Koreans have a stereotype of being particularly flammable?
    I think that they generally want to avoid any heated exchanges.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post

You have to understand that the Olympics are the epitome of PC.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    You have to understand that the Olympics are the epitome of PC.
    Most "International" organizations are. They disdain anything that smacks of nationalism, unless it's directed against the west (nationalism is fine when it is from third world sinkholes).

Old joke:

One day the U.N. Secretary General proposes that, in the interest of global peace and harmony, the world’s soccer players should come together and form one United Nations global soccer team.

“Great idea,” says his deputy. “Er, but who would we play?”

“Israel, of course.”
    Last edited by Odysseus; 08-03-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    --Odysseus

Sadly they seem to be more concerned with the PC stuff than with possible drugging by certain nationalities. They should just ban tweeting if they're so uptight about everything.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"