Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No one deserved it more.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

To his family and friends I say may he Rest in Peace.

As much as I hated his politics, it's never okay to dance on graves.

If he made it to Heaven somehow, I'm sure Buckley is ready to go another round
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Wow! Such good company. Charmers all!

Oh Mercy! ...

Thanks ODY, didn't know any of this. Could have quoted your entire post here. Was all news to me.

And as my mom used to add ... "And the Devil takes care of his own!"

~ ABC
    Hopefully, he will find the peace that the victims of the tyrants that he loved didn't find in life.

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    To his family and friends I say may he Rest in Peace.

As much as I hated his politics, it's never okay to dance on graves.

If he made it to Heaven somehow, I'm sure Buckley is ready to go another round
    Not a case of dancing on his grave, so much as just pointing out his history. Some people will mourn him, and I would not presume to tell them their business, but there are others who will use his passing as an opportunity to advance his agenda, and that must be answered. People are full of contradictions, and Vidal's talents and intellect were offset by his hateful slanders of good people and his love for evil ones. I'll leave the balance up to others, but he made your job and mine a lot harder by repeating the propaganda of our enemies and lying about our actions, and while we have the option to forgive that, we do not have the option to forget it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Why am I not shocked that Nova and Lindanumbers like this elitist snob, I saw a video of Vidal saying he'd knock someone down, if i had been that man he said it to I'd slap the shit out of him.
    I liked some of his books, not necessarily his politics or always his way of expressing himself. He could be quite funny; at a christening, he quipped, "Always the godfather, never a god." :)

Why do I get the funny feeling you've never read any of his books? (Actually, I usually get the feeling that you've never read ANY books).
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Not a case of dancing on his grave, so much as just pointing out his history. Some people will mourn him, and I would not presume to tell them their business, but there are others who will use his passing as an opportunity to advance his agenda, and that must be answered. People are full of contradictions, and Vidal's talents and intellect were offset by his hateful slanders of good people and his love for evil ones. I'll leave the balance up to others, but he made your job and mine a lot harder by repeating the propaganda of our enemies and lying about our actions, and while we have the option to forgive that, we do not have the option to forget it.
    A very fair remark.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Well, he might as well have been bombing Denmark. Denmark had nothing to do with 9/11. And neither did Afghanistan, at least the Afghanis didn’t.”
    For a supposed intellectual, he sure was dumb.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

I never read any of his books. RIP, though.

I always think of the episode of The Simpsons, where Lisa makes a comment about how Gore Vidal has kissed more boys than she did. Marge tells her "girls, Lisa, boys kiss girls". I think there are other episodes with Gore Vidal jokes-is he the voice of the guy who MCs the Spelling Olympics that Lisa participates in, who tries to bribe her into throwing the contest to a cuter contestant?

So, most of what I know about him comes from a cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I liked some of his books, not necessarily his politics or always his way of expressing himself. He could be quite funny; at a christening, he quipped, "Always the godfather, never a god." :)

Why do I get the funny feeling you've never read any of his books? (Actually, I usually get the feeling that you've never read ANY books).

Watch out your inner snob is showing :)

For the record I read many a book, just nothing from the left.

I just got done reading "The Amateur" by Edward Klein a must read if you are a sane conservative. Now I am reading "old mans war" So far its a very good book and I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    A very fair remark.
    I do try.

He was never on my reading list, not because I wasn't interested in good writing, but because I've always found him to be a tedious boor in his public appearances and had no interest in anything that he had to say, whether in recognized ficton or political positions which were also based on fictions.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    So, most of what I know about him comes from a cartoon.
    Apparently you're not the only one here. :)