Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Apparently you're not the only one here. :)
    One can know quite a bit about him without having read his books, and one can read his books and still not know what kind of man he was. The open letters that he signed and the organizations that he joined gave aid and comfort to people who sought to kill me, my fellow Soldiers and, when you come right down to it, Vidal himself (Communist countries tend to be virulently anti-gay, and al Qaeda makes Chik-Fil-A look like ACTUP). He routinely lied about the motives of people who disagreed with him, and advanced the agendas of monstrous despots. He demeaned and insulted those who worked to protect him from the tyrants that he endorsed, using all of his clever wit in the service of evil. Admire his writing and his wit, if you like, but kindly refrain from belittling those who hold him in lower esteem.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    One can know quite a bit about him without having read his books, and one can read his books and still not know what kind of man he was. The open letters that he signed and the organizations that he joined gave aid and comfort to people who sought to kill me, my fellow Soldiers and, when you come right down to it, Vidal himself (Communist countries tend to be virulently anti-gay, and al Qaeda makes Chik-Fil-A look like ACTUP). He routinely lied about the motives of people who disagreed with him, and advanced the agendas of monstrous despots. He demeaned and insulted those who worked to protect him from the tyrants that he endorsed, using all of his clever wit in the service of evil. Admire his writing and his wit, if you like, but kindly refrain from belittling those who hold him in lower esteem.
    Thank you, Ody, for these remarks. I found him to be an odious human who looked down on the ordinary people. He was an aristocrat in is own mind. There's something tedious about folks who have the need to feel superior. America supposedly is a classless society, at least officially. We don't have dukes and earls, etc, and everyone has the opportunity to advance based on their merits.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,565
    With a pretentious name like his, he was destined to become an insufferable liberal prick. I wish for him what he wished on others. I don't wish him an eternity in Hell, but he didn't believe in it anyway, so he probably is immune to God's laws.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,518
    What's pretentious about having his grandfather's name as his name?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Thank you, Ody, for these remarks. I found him to be an odious human who looked down on the ordinary people. He was an aristocrat in is own mind. There's something tedious about folks who have the need to feel superior. America supposedly is a classless society, at least officially. We don't have dukes and earls, etc, and everyone has the opportunity to advance based on their merits.
    My pleasure. Vidal was simply one of a long line of intellectuals who became famous for their political positions, rather than their accomplishments in their areas of expertise. Being a noxious leftist made him more famous than being a great writer would have, and he milked it, even when it meant enabling those who would be the first to have him lined up and shot.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,565
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    What's pretentious about having his grandfather's name as his name?
    I'm sorry, I must have not qualified my post with the disclaimer you require; "IMO."

    I guess the sound of his name isn't enough justification for you. It's much like your bigotry toward Southerners strikes a nerve with me.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,518
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I'm sorry, I must have not qualified my post with the disclaimer you require; "IMO."

    I guess the sound of his name isn't enough justification for you. It's much like your bigotry toward Southerners strikes a nerve with me.
    His name doesn't sound pretentious to me; perhaps the problem is that it doesn't have "Billy Bob" anywhere in it.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,565
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    His name doesn't sound pretentious to me; perhaps the problem is that it doesn't have "Billy Bob" anywhere in it.
    Dang strait!
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •