Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Newsweek allegedly uncovers a gay Chick-Fil-A employee 
    But the supposed person is staying anonymous, conveniently:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...peaks-out.html

A gay employee, writing anonymously over fears she’d be fired for speaking out, says she hopes her customers don’t choke on their nuggets—but one day will swallow their words.

So when people boycott Chick-fil-A, it means I don't get hours. Which means I don’t get money. Not just me, but ALL of the LGBT employees at Chick-fil-A. Yes, CFA hires LGBT people. No one’s been fired for being gay or coming out. It’s a job. A job that can’t be taken for granted when work is scarce across the country. We have to eat too. So sure, boycott Chick-fil-A because you don’t agree with the CEO. Will you change his mind? No. Will it change the amount of money my LGBT peers and I can earn? Probably. Boycotting Chick-fil-A doesn’t hurt the company. It hurts the employees. And it’s hard enough working for a place that doesn’t think you should get married. But it’s work. Don’t take it away because you feel righteous.

That’s what I said four days ago. I meant it then. After today, though, I take it all back.

After all, I’m still a closeted gay woman working at a Chick-fil-A in the southern United States. And things these days, well, they’re complicated.

When Monday was dead, I was harboring hope that it was because so many people were boycotting Chick-fil-A. Apparently I was suffering from delusions, or temporarily forgot I live in the Bible Belt. Sunday, all the ministers at the evangelical churches in town told their congregations to show support to Chick-fil-A by eating there. The day? Today, Wednesday, August 1, 2012.

We were so busy we nearly ran out of food. We did run out of some things, like nuggets, strips, lemonade, and waffle fries. Though we didn’t have to close early like we feared, by 10 p.m., we barely had anything left. Never before have I been so grateful that I have tomorrow off.

Customers sang “God Bless America” in the dining room. They vocalized their support for “family values” in a way that made me want to vomit. We had two protestors outside, and I took five minutes to run out, hug them, and tell them: if I weren’t working here now, I’d be out here with you.

They said, “It’s okay, we know what it’s like to have to work for a paycheck.” Hearing that was ten times better than hearing from my acquaintances on the other side of the coin: “How do you work there and still sleep at night, knowing their stance against equal rights?” I sleep with a roof over my head, which is about all I can ask.

I can’t tell you much more about the customers today, because of my limited contact with them. I work in the kitchen, so I don’t see much of the clientele. What made today so difficult—more difficult than always being behind on food, running out of one thing or another, needing to be in two places at once, etc—was the attitudes of the other employees.

No one really stopped talking about the reasons why today was as busy as it was. The people I work alongside kept going on and on about how powerful it was to be part of such a righteous movement, and how encouraged they were to know that there were so many people who agree with Dan Cathy. They went on at great length about how it was wrong not just for gays to marry, but to exist. One kid, age 19, said “I hope the gays go hungry.”

I nearly walked out then and there. That epitomizes the characteristics of these evangelical “Christians” who are so vocally opposed to equal rights. Attitudes like that are the opposite of Christ-like.
    And it goes on from there. This strikes me as something a liberal reporter would write about what they hoped people said and want the public to believe people said instead of being an eyewitness report. Basically, it's a "professional bouncy" in my opinion.

No one really stopped talking about the reasons why today was as busy as it was. The people I work alongside kept going on and on about how powerful it was to be part of such a righteous movement, and how encouraged they were to know that there were so many people who agree with Dan Cathy. They went on at great length about how it was wrong not just for gays to marry, but to exist. One kid, age 19, said I hope the gays go hungry.
    I call BS. And anyone who's ever worked in a restaurant would call BS too. As busy as they were, they didn't have time to talk all that stuff. Pro bouncy is my vote too.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I call BS. And anyone who's ever worked in a restaurant would call BS too. As busy as they were, they didn't have time to talk all that stuff. Pro bouncy is my vote too.
    Please. I have worked in 18 restaurants (granted, none of them fast food) but we talked constantly when we weren't actively engaged with customers. Walk away from a table and take a shot at the customers with another staff member as we both walked to the station, talking trash at the salad prep bar, bitching about the old drunks who want their soup boiling hot so it won't get cold while they finish getting potted before the entree arrives. Fashion reviews, parenting reviews, politics and the latest news - we talked about it all while efficiently and elegantly slinging slop to bored suburbanites and upscale yard whales.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Please. I have worked in 18 restaurants (granted, none of them fast food) but we talked constantly when we weren't actively engaged with customers. Walk away from a table and take a shot at the customers with another staff member as we both walked to the station, talking trash at the salad prep bar, bitching about the old drunks who want their soup boiling hot so it won't get cold while they finish getting potted before the entree arrives. Fashion reviews, parenting reviews, politics and the latest news - we talked about it all while efficiently and elegantly slinging slop to bored suburbanites and upscale yard whales.
    My comment was in regard to the alleged tone of the talk. It's probably mostly teenagers working there, and even if they did say oh wow this is great, it would be for being busy and not bored. Good grief you're upset about this chick-fil-a thing aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post

Yeah, what adult doesn't expect a 19 year old coworker to say homophobic things? Homophobia is part of male adolescence, which is an unfortunate part of life. My older brother used to make jokes about gays all the time, until he was in seminary and had to do an internship as a chaplain in a hospital, and had to work with AIDS patients.

I'm not justifying that type of speech, ("I hope gays starve"), but people say insensitive crap all the time. Sometimes, you just ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I've seen less b.s. in a cow barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    I've seen less b.s. in a cow barn.
    Go into a bull barn sometime!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Yeah, what adult doesn't expect a 19 year old coworker to say homophobic things? Homophobia is part of male adolescence, which is an unfortunate part of life. My older brother used to make jokes about gays all the time, until he was in seminary and had to do an internship as a chaplain in a hospital, and had to work with AIDS patients.

I'm not justifying that type of speech, ("I hope gays starve"), but people say insensitive crap all the time. Sometimes, you just ignore it.
    It starts early. The whole "that's so gay" thing is prime evidence. It's not even necessarily a slam on gay people but it's a catch phrase that 'caught on'. Kids don't like to be different and being gay is the ultimate in different, especially at young ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Go into a bull barn sometime!
    I'm not a farmer, so I thought they kept the bulls in the cow barn. Whatever the case, my point remains. You'll find less b.s. wherever bulls hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    I'm not a farmer, so I thought they kept the bulls in the cow barn. Whatever the case, my point remains. You'll find less b.s. wherever bulls hang out.
    The cows occasional invite them for a sleepover but they won't cuddle after sex.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg