Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48
  1. #21  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    No I don't. When you agree with the straight read then it's the "100 percint akkeritt word of God" and when you don't then you "need to understand it" or interpret it. It's bullshit. The Bible is a wonderful artifact and book of Asian folk history, laws, and stories.
    My faith does tell me to hang out with others not of the faith. Because I have friends that are not of the faith that I hang out with doesn't carry the same weight as being yoked to someone spiritually. I am yoked to by Christian brothers and sisters because we are working for a common goal, to share the good news of salvation and to herald the Kingdom of God. With people I associate with on a spiritual level then we should be equally yoked. With people I work with I am equally yoked to them because of a common goal at work and we have the skills between us to get our work done.

    What you are doing is taking a simple comment from Paul found in 2 Corinthians and using it in a broad way to make your point seem to have some merit. You're using the word in a one size fits all fashion when their are different "yokes" for different relationships. Paul was discussing the spiritual relationship that Christians share.

    The Bible teaches me how to live my life and to deal justly and kindly with those people outside my faith. It shows me the nature of my Creator and what He expects of me. Before my faith was given to me I was a hateful individual who yoked himself to other individuals (some hateful) because we had mutual goals... we walked along the same path through life. Christ showed me a new path to walk one that bound me to those who also are walking the path but also allows me to reach out to others and offer then what has been given freely to me.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    No I don't. When you agree with the straight read then it's the "100 percint akkeritt word of God" and when you don't then you "need to understand it" or interpret it. It's bullshit. The Bible is a wonderful artifact and book of Asian folk history, laws, and stories.
    Have you ever really studied the Bible? Not just read it, but studied it, maybe with the help of a study guide or a group? When you do that, you are able to put the words into context. Paul's letters were written, for example, to address issues that had come up in the congregations he was writing to. Plucking a verse out of that context is not an accurate presentation of the meaning of the words. It's sort of like when a video of someone's speech is spliced so that one comment appears offensive, but when put in the context of the overall speech, is not offensive at all.

    You can find study groups that won't condemn you for being gay. The Quakers (Society of Friends) are who I would recommend seeking out for that type of study-not that they are the only gay friendly denomination, but the UCC/UMC/PBUSA don't always offer Bible Study, and those that do, usually offer it during the hours that most of us are working. Or, if you want to pick out a book to study on your own, N. T. Wright's series are good. I did the study of the Book of John a few months ago. He asks really good questions in each section, to answer at the end of each reading.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    No I don't. When you agree with the straight read then it's the "100 percint akkeritt word of God" and when you don't then you "need to understand it" or interpret it. It's bullshit. The Bible is a wonderful artifact and book of Asian folk history, laws, and stories.
    Um, yeah. Why don't you take a few days to go live in countries where Christians were not those who influenced the foundations and culture and where the Bible is not welcomed now and tell us again about how awful the Bible is. Go ahead. Pick one: China, Iran, India, etc. Come back and tell us how your experience was.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,468
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    It's sort of like when a video of someone's speech is spliced so that one comment appears offensive, but when put in the context of the overall speech, is not offensive at all.
    Ironically, that's just what has been happening with a Republican state representative here recently.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Have you ever really studied the Bible? Not just read it, but studied it, maybe with the help of a study guide or a group? When you do that, you are able to put the words into context. Paul's letters were written, for example, to address issues that had come up in the congregations he was writing to. Plucking a verse out of that context is not an accurate presentation of the meaning of the words. It's sort of like when a video of someone's speech is spliced so that one comment appears offensive, but when put in the context of the overall speech, is not offensive at all.

    You can find study groups that won't condemn you for being gay. The Quakers (Society of Friends) are who I would recommend seeking out for that type of study-not that they are the only gay friendly denomination, but the UCC/UMC/PBUSA don't always offer Bible Study, and those that do, usually offer it during the hours that most of us are working. Or, if you want to pick out a book to study on your own, N. T. Wright's series are good. I did the study of the Book of John a few months ago. He asks really good questions in each section, to answer at the end of each reading.
    I rather read Proust , which is to say that I have no interest in either.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    White-trash is not an ethnic subgroup of caucasian, it's a deliberate choice.
    No, no. It's obvious genetic and not a choice, thus there needs to be special laws to protect them from people like you. Think about it. Who honestly would CHOOSE to be that?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I rather read Proust , which is to say that I have no interest in either.

    Your lack of intellectual curiosity is amazing, although I agree with you about Proust. I tried to read Remembrance of Things Past and was totally bored. Never buy a book because a good-looking guy on "Northern Exposure" reads the only good passage in 3 volumes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    ...
    You are really taking this loss hard aren't you. I don't know why. You lose in opinion polls, you lose at the ballot box and you lose when it comes down to common sense.

    Keep those tears coming though. It's quite entertaining.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,468
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    You are really taking this loss hard aren't you. I don't know why. You lose in opinion polls, you lose at the ballot box and you lose when it comes down to common sense.

    Keep those tears coming though. It's quite entertaining.
    November is going to be tons of fun, isn't it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Your lack of intellectual curiosity is amazing, although I agree with you about Proust. I tried to read Remembrance of Things Past and was totally bored. Never buy a book because a good-looking guy on "Northern Exposure" reads the only good passage in 3 volumes.
    I wish there was a radio station like KBear. Having Chris read obscure crap makes it somehow more palatable and accessible.

    I actually know a guy who is somewhat like Chris. He only has a high school education, and not an exceptional one at that, but he is the best read person I know.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •