1. #1 Composer Marvin Hamlisch dies at 68 in LA 
    Marvin Hamlisch, who composed the scores for dozens of movies including "The Sting" and won a Tony for "A Chorus Line," has died in Los Angeles at 68.Family spokesman Jason Lee said Hamlisch died Monday after a brief illness. Other details aren't being released.
    Hamlisch's career included composing, conducting and arranging music from Broadway to Hollywood.
    The composer won every major award in his career, including three Academy Awards, four Emmys, a Tony and three Golden Globes.

Playing the theme song from "The Sting" was considered a progressive step in childhood piano lessons of the 70s. Hamlisch re-worked old Scott Joplin tunes for the movie. I remember playing them on the violin along with one of my piano playing friends-it's easier to play on the violin because you only have to play the melody.

"A Chorus Line" is a great musical.

As a brass player growing up in the early 70's, yep, The Sting and Hamlisch's score revived Joplin's rags. Wonderful to play in a chamber setting, and I'm still playing his stuff today.

RIP, Marvin. You'll be playing and conducting in God's band.
    U.S. Army, Retired