Thread: Shopping thread

1. #1 Shopping thread 
    I was wondering if other states have those tax free weekends for clothes, backpacks, school supplies? Yesterday and today I took advantage of the whopping 7% savings.

My haul yesterday included such mundane things as white-out tape, dividers for a notebook, and super glue. I'm way extravagant, hee hee.

Today was another story. It didn't say how big the kids were returning to school, so SR had a minor wardrobe adjustment. He got 4 pairs of shorts and 4 white knit casual shirts. The old stuff went into the Goodwill bag. I got a sweater at 40% off that matched a pair of capri pants that I got last week (also 40% off). The grandkids got some adorable outfits.

The economy must be getting a tad better. The store was swamped (Sears, nothing extravagant) with moms buying stuff for the kids to return to school. Or it could be a sign of desperation, where even the 7% savings was important to their back to school budgets.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS -THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR
    GO ROYALS NOW

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    The store was swamped with moms buying stuff for the kids to return to school.
    I think Virginia just had a tax free weekend. I didn't participate for the reason stated above.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Here in California the state doesn't do it but individual companies will do it on occasion. We have a hardware store chain here in the SF bay area, Orchard Supply Hardware, that has a "We Pay The Sales Tax" weekend event every 6 months or so but I haven't heard of any other business doing the tax free thing in this area.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

We don't have anything like that in Michigan. We do have a lot of charitable school supply giveaways-mostly churches who decide to sponsor a specific school and fill up backpacks full of school supplies.

JC Penney is giving free haircuts for kids throughout the month of August, though. That's a good thing for parents with low funds who want their kids to look nice for school photos.

Texas shoppers get a break from state and local sales taxes on August 17-19, 2012 - the state's annual sales tax holiday. Lay-away plans can be used again this year to take advantage of the sales tax holiday.

A complete list of tax-free items .
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

[QUOTE=Zeus;519308]Texas shoppers get a break from state and local sales taxes on August 17-19, 2012 - the state's annual sales tax holiday. Lay-away plans can be used again this year to take advantage of the sales tax holiday.

A complete list of
    tax-free items .[/QUOTE]

Texas has a better deal than Florida, which also covers all clothes (under $75 vs $100 in Texas), footwear, backpacks and school supplies.

Florida does not allow lay-away plans. Texas is more compassionate, maybe because it's so conservative.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

GO ROYALS NOW

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I think Virginia just had a tax free weekend. I didn't participate for the reason stated above.
    It's for clothes (doesn't say kiddie sizes) and footwear, as well as school (or office) supplies. They prohibited buying cartridges for printers or computers. Drat.

The limit was $75 per item, so doubt if you could get much at Eileen F. for that.

"

GO ROYALS NOW

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    We don't have anything like that in Michigan. We do have a lot of charitable school supply giveaways-mostly churches who decide to sponsor a specific school and fill up backpacks full of school supplies.

JC Penney is giving free haircuts for kids throughout the month of August, though. That's a good thing for parents with low funds who want their kids to look nice for school photos.
    Art Van furniture comes to mind, they pay the sales tax around a holiday, maybe tax time even. Other than that yeah it's just churches and boys/girls clubs. When my youngest was in elementary school, the school had a back to school picnic and gave away tons of stuff.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.