Thread: Are your buying habits changed with this economy?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Are your buying habits changed with this economy? 
    SR and I had lunch out with some friends today who live in our subdivision/development, but are originally from St Louis. She and I started talking about changing buying habits.

My friend formerly got designer clothes and didn't think a minute about spending big bucks for her clothes or for anything else, for that matter. I said an analogy for me was the I perso type cosmetics I used. Back in the day when I made fairly good money sellng office equipment, I'd go to Saks and get Chanel cosmetics. After they started playing with my sales compensation program, I switched to Estee Lauder.

One of the women at my office was moonlighting selling Avon, and I discovered that some of their line was every bit as effective as the higher price items. Since I'm no longer working there, I made the wonderful observation that the Olay Regenerist stuff that I could get at Costco with a coupon for $15 a jar worked even better than some of the Chanel that was well over $100 a jar.

I wish that I had all that money I blew. My cosmetics thing is an analogy about general spending habits.

My question, has anyone else gotten "smarter" due to the recession and adjusted their spending? Has it been a hardship?

I personally think the way of life is just as good now, just not as extravagent. I feel better conserving our resources to save for that rainy day that I know is coming if Obama is re-elected. If conditions improve, then we'll have some assets to just have fun and blow for the heck of it. It's just that I don't trust Obama and the number of people on the dole who are dependent on the dems for keeping that money flowing to them.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

My spending habits are more due to retirement. I live the life of a house husband now. The woman brings the carcass to me and I make the soup.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I wish that I had all that money I blew. .
    Don't play could have should have, especially over something like cosmetics. Part of the premium experience is in the feeling of using a good product. Is there $85 difference between Chanel and Olay? I am willing to bet that the Chanel rep would not only say that there is but have something to back it up. Is it worth $85 to you? Apparently not any longer. Your priorities change over time as well.

I am a seriously thrifty person, or so I think. Others might see me in the health food store paying $4.65 for a loaf of bread, $7.69 for a jar of mayonnaise and wonder why that poorly dressed old man "wastes" money on organic food. I shop at Walmart so I can shop at Nature's Finest. I sew, do plumbing, and all sorts of stuff to save money. I buy premium gasoline for all of my machines. I use the extra rinse cycle because I don't like soap or bleach residue in mu clothes. I splurge , I splurge.

We moved to a new community almost 2 years ago. This city has a very strong economy and only 4.7% unemployment. (It's a hub of construction, manufacturing and vacationing. I understand the area population can triple in the summer.) My wife is in the human services field and got a fantastic job with a growing company. My background is in retail management, but I'm currently holding only a part-time job so that we can avoid the huge expense of day care until our youngest enters school full-time in a couple years. We are doing well financially and are well within our ability to make ends meet. (We give all credit to God for this. He's answered so many prayers in so many amazing ways that are beyond chance and coincidence.) We could have more than we do, but we're happy with what we have and don't want to get into a bad spending habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I am a seriously thrifty person, or so I think. Others might see me in the health food store paying $4.65 for a loaf of bread, $7.69 for a jar of mayonnaise and wonder why that poorly dressed old man "wastes" money on organic food. I shop at Walmart so I can shop at Nature's Finest. I sew, do plumbing, and all sorts of stuff to save money. I buy premium gasoline for all of my machines. I use the extra rinse cycle because I don't like soap or bleach residue in mu clothes. I splurge , I splurge.
    You should learn to make your own bread and mayonnaise. Seriously! You're being severely overcharged for that stuff at the health food store under the excuse that what you are buying is healthy. While that may be true, they still tack on a big price tag for your willingness to buy it for that reason.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    I work as a full time meat cutter in a grocery store. And I can tell you this.

If you want to see first hand how bad the economy is, go to any grocery store and see what people are buying.

I can remember back under Clinton and Bush people were buying higher end stakes, getting wine and buying more of the perk items for their meals.

Under Obama, its a lot of ground beef, chicken and the cheap cuts of pork. An awful lot of ad buyers too, where before it wasn't as much. They didn't care as much then. From there its Busch beer instead of wine or other top drinks, and a lot of Mac and Cheese.

People are hurting. My town in the last 3 years has lost 2 grocery stores going from 4 down to 2. Ours and Walmart. One of them that folded was an Aldis of all things. And their basicly a bottom rung no thrills store to begin with.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I work as a full time meat cutter in a grocery store. And I can tell you this.

If you want to see first hand how bad the economy is, go to any grocery store and see what people are buying.

I can remember back under Clinton and Bush people were buying higher end stakes, getting wine and buying more of the perk items for their meals.

Under Obama, its a lot of ground beef, chicken and the cheap cuts of pork. An awful lot of ad buyers too, where before it wasn't as much. They didn't care as much then. From there its Busch beer instead of wine or other top drinks, and a lot of Mac and Cheese.

People are hurting. My town in the last 3 years has lost 2 grocery stores going from 4 down to 2. Ours and Walmart. One of them that folded was an Aldis of all things. And their basicly a bottom rung no thrills store to begin with.
    I would expect to continue to see meat sales decline as time goes on and meat becomes a smaller part of our diet. I realize that I have health issues driving my choices, but I also have eaten less and less beef over the last 20 years. For years I would buy all the boneless chicken breast I could carry when it was on sale, and now I simply don't.

I think that a lot of people see red meat and pork as something that should be eaten occasionally at most. Naturally, pepperoni is the exception to all food consciousness.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    One of them that folded was an Aldis of all things. And their basicly a bottom rung no thrills store to begin with.
    I was tremendously disappointed in Aldis. I was looking forward to them coming to town, but quickly found that the selection was so thin that it would amount to a second trip to the store to shop there.

My spending habits haven't changed.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

Power CUer
    Mine have not changed at all. I still buy Chanel (the cosmetics and fragrances, not the skin care), shop at Eileen Fisher for most of my clothes, and we spend about $150 on groceries each week for the two of us - lots of fresh produce, excellent fish (the most expensive item), and basically anything we feel like having. The house is almost paid for, we've both stayed gainfully employed, and we have no other debt.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken