Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1 Winners get Refrigerators Losers get Labor Camp 
    North Korea's Olympic athletes are surprising the world by winning medals, and attributing their success to Kim Jong Un. However, there are rumors that suggest the success of the country's small number of athletes at the Olympics is the policy of giving rewards like cars, refrigerators, and televisions for medalists, but losers are sent losers to labor camps.
    But the consequence of loss is greater if the athletes lose to countries in conflict like the ROK and the US.
    One North Korean defector stated at an interview that Shin Ui-gun, coach of North Korea's women's football team, will be criticized for the loss to the US at the London Olympics.
    Moreover, North Korean defectors testified that if athletes lose a match, they are held responsible as if they had lost in a battle. Matches against Korea and the US is almost always considered as a war that needs to be won at all cost.
    North Korean athletes are participating in sports not from sportsmanship, but from the fear of Kim Jong-Un's punishments. Is this even possible, and sensible? Some say this kind of rumor is from the negative perception of North Korea, but we are talking about North Korea, here. I think it's very probable because the 3 generation of Kim dictators gained the know-how of threatening and forcing people.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by greatday View Post
    North Korea's Olympic athletes are surprising the world by winning medals, and attributing their success to Kim Jong Un. However, there are rumors that suggest the success of the country's small number of athletes at the Olympics is the policy of giving rewards like cars, refrigerators, and televisions for medalists, but losers are sent losers to labor camps.
    But the consequence of loss is greater if the athletes lose to countries in conflict like the ROK and the US.
    One North Korean defector stated at an interview that Shin Ui-gun, coach of North Korea's women's football team, will be criticized for the loss to the US at the London Olympics.
    Moreover, North Korean defectors testified that if athletes lose a match, they are held responsible as if they had lost in a battle. Matches against Korea and the US is almost always considered as a war that needs to be won at all cost.
    North Korean athletes are participating in sports not from sportsmanship, but from the fear of Kim Jong-Un's punishments. Is this even possible, and sensible? Some say this kind of rumor is from the negative perception of North Korea, but we are talking about North Korea, here. I think it's very probable because the 3 generation of Kim dictators gained the know-how of threatening and forcing people.
    Iraq's Olympic teams were run by Saddam's son, Uday, who used to torture losers. It was common knowledge, and well-documented. The Norks are perfectly capable of applying the same motivations, especially given their propaganda and policies. The logic goes like this: Since North Korea is the perfect embodiment of communist thought, and the state is perfect, then failure must be the result of individual subversion. Thus, a North Korean who fails to overcome an American or South Korean is doing so in order to deliberately undermine the Dear Leader, and deserves punishment. The tell will be if any of the North Korean athletes defect. Some won't, no matter what, because their families will be targeted, but if there's a single kid without a medal, I suspect that they will watch him very closely.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Iraq's Olympic teams were run by Saddam's son, Uday, who used to torture losers. It was common knowledge, and well-documented. The Norks are perfectly capable of applying the same motivations, especially given their propaganda and policies. The logic goes like this: Since North Korea is the perfect embodiment of communist thought, and the state is perfect, then failure must be the result of individual subversion. Thus, a North Korean who fails to overcome an American or South Korean is doing so in order to deliberately undermine the Dear Leader, and deserves punishment. The tell will be if any of the North Korean athletes defect. Some won't, no matter what, because their families will be targeted, but if there's a single kid without a medal, I suspect that they will watch him very closely.
    Oh, NOW communists think the individual can make decisions on their own, only when they do poorly...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,896
    If the North Koreans are ever freed from their situation, it will take a long time for them to catch up with the rest of the world on so many levels. At least the "Iron Curtain" countries had some contact with the west, and had Radio Free Europe and such as inspiriation during their hard times.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,159
    Well on the positive side nothing motivates like the Gulag, but then again these new Kenmores coming out are the bee's knee's
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbins View Post
    Oh, NOW communists think the individual can make decisions on their own, only when they do poorly...
    The communists have always accepted the idea that individuals can act out against the enlightened party leadership, since it's the only way that the perfect system could fail. These are just variations on Stalin's Show Trials. Remember, the Five-Year Plan can't fail, but it can be sabotaged. Similarly, the perfect Olympic team cannot fail, it can only be sabotaged from within.

    It's not rational, but it does have a kind of internal logic, if you don't question it, and only an imperialist counterrevolutionary lackey of the US or ROK would question it, so you see the beauty of the system.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •