Thread: Travel Trailers

1. #1 Travel Trailers 
    The wife and I are in the market for a travel trailer. My in-laws have one and we stayed in it last week for a couple of days and liked it not to mention that a lot of guys at work have them and live them so we're very interested. So my question is, is there anyone here who has one and what is a good but reasonably priced one to get? We're not looking to buy until probably next year but we're putting feelers out right now.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I have had more than one and airstream is the only one that does not require constant maintenance, the rest fall apart.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I have had more than one and airstream is the only one that does not require constant maintenance, the rest fall apart.
    Are we talking old school Airstream?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Are we talking old school Airstream?
    If you get one that is well kept I like the old ones better than the new.
    I would rather have a used airstream than any new trailer on the market.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Buy used, but on a warm day with the AC off then on. Find one that has never been smoked in.
    Look for sponginess in the flooring near bathroom fixtures, kitchen sink, and fridge.
    Look for cracks in the tub/shower basin.
    Try to wiggle the toilet.
    Get on a ladder and inspect the roof. Don't necessarily refuse to buy a trailer that has sealant on the roof, but hose test it. As always, neatness generally tells you something about the quality of the work.

Also, if you go to RV trader or something like that- keep in mind that many RV parks won't rent seasonal lots to trailers which are more than ten years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Buy used, but on a warm day with the AC off then on. Find one that has never been smoked in.
    Look for sponginess in the flooring near bathroom fixtures, kitchen sink, and fridge.
    Look for cracks in the tub/shower basin. ITry to wiggle the toilet.
    Get on a ladder and inspect the roof. Don't necessarily refuse to buy a trailer that has sealant on the roof, but hose test it. As always, neatness generally tells you something about the quality of the work.

Also, if you go to RV trader or something like that- keep in mind that many RV parks won't rent seasonal lots to trailers which are more than ten years old.
    All is correct except for the last statement. Many RV parks don't care about age. They just want to try and fill the park. We have a lot of snow birds and I own two RV lots that I lease out in Mississippi near the Gulf Coast. I know a little bit about it. I also own a 37' Triumph Fleetwood 5th Wheel with 4 slide outs, it's a 2005 and has held up really good. New the MSRP was 90k and sold for 69k...Now the retail value is about 30k... I bought it used and got a very good deal. I am going to consign it through a local RV dealer as we have a lot of snow birds that store the RVs during the summer and stay in them during the winter, never pulling them theirselves..

To get one well built they are out there and dealerships are buying up repos at auction and selling them at wholesale NADA prices simply to keep the cash flow up. Often people buy an RV and never have the time to use it so they are like brand new even when they are a few years old. I grew up helping my dad flip RVs...we had several trailers and motorhomes....then when he retired my folks bought a brand new pusher...it was like a bus.

Forrest River makes a decent trailer with an aluminum frame that makes them easier to pull. If you could find a used one, I would check into it. My mom had one in Illinois that she used during the summers, it worked out great.

Our town has become the RV capital of Nevada due to our close proximity to Las Vegas and affordable living and great views. People that used to camp in Yuma found they did not like it as well as here. We have less crime.