Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Okay, we need to do a bit of cultural thinking. What can we do that would resonate with the Afghans? If this had happened to another Afghan, there would be a blood feud and the perpetrator's whole clan would be targeted. The Afghans value family over everything else, and they do not have an understanding of individual responsibility. Any action that we take has to work on the clan or tribal networks. We don't necessarily have to go after the clan or tribe directly, but we can certainly provide support to rival clans with the understanding that we are doing that as a means of reprisal. Thus, if you hurt us, your rival clan gets money, weapons, traiining, the capacity to take the fight back to you in way that you will understand and fear and, in the long term, the honor of taking you down. These are tangible things that the Afghans understand under their honor code and customs and will provide the motivation that we need to get them to, if not be on our side, at least stop undermining us.
    That's crazy talk. How dare you suggest we adopt an ROE that actually works.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    That's crazy talk. How dare you suggest we adopt an ROE that actually works.
    I credit my prior enlisted time for my common sense.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    The Taliban call the reporters in country. And they tend to call from a country code that locates them in Pakistan.

As much as I dislike AP...at least they're slightly better than The Nation when it comes to Taliban propaganda. The Nation online publishes Taliban propaganda statements without disclaimers of any kind.

Engel is no better than Bernard Shaw or any of these other idiots that seem to think the fact they're a journalist trumps any kind of allegiance to their country.

Shaw if you remember...famously refused to be debriefed about his experience in the al-Rasheed hotel in Baghdad the first night of the air campaign in 1991.
    What if we dipped our bullets in pig's blood? Or just made an announcement that we do?

Rumor has it someone I know well will be heading to Afghanistan in an undisclosed time frame. This whole development doesn't make me happy atal. 25 killings of US troops in about a month in this fashion? ugh
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    What if we dipped our bullets in pig's blood? Or just made an announcement that we do?
    They would riot and we'd have to use them. The problem is that we have demonstrated that we won't. They know it, and that gives them freedom of operation that we lack.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Rumor has it someone I know well will be heading to Afghanistan in an undisclosed time frame. This whole development doesn't make me happy atal. 25 killings of US troops in about a month in this fashion? ugh
    He'll be okay. The bad guys only do this when they can make a quick exit. Unless he's involved with training the Afghans off post, he'll be safe.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    They would riot and we'd have to use them. The problem is that we have demonstrated that we won't. They know it, and that gives them freedom of operation that we lack.

He'll be okay. The bad guys only do this when they can make a quick exit. Unless he's involved with training the Afghans off post, he'll be safe.
    He's an 88M. Good, he'll be ok!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.