Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Three US troops killed by man in Afghan army uniform 
    KABUL, AFGHANISTAN A man in an Afghan army uniform shot and killed three American service members on Friday morning in southern Afghanistan, the U.S. military command said, the third attack on coalition forces by their Afghan counterparts in a week. The Taliban claimed the shooter joined the insurgency after the attack.

The shooting took place in Sangin district of Helmand province, said U.S. military spokeswoman Maj. Lori Hodge. She gave no details and said the military were investigating.

Taliban spokesman Qari Yousef Ahmadi said by telephone that the attacker, whom he identified as a member of Helmand police named Asadullah, had joined the insurgency after his attack.

Ahmadi said the man had been helping U.S. forces train the Afghan Local Police troops.

The U.S. is hoping the Afghan Local Police will be a key force to fight the insurgency after most international troops withdraw.

The attack is the third this week on coalition soldiers by Afghans who are training to take over once most international forces leave in 2014.

On Tuesday, two gunmen wearing Afghan army uniforms killed a U.S. soldier and wounded two others in Paktia province in the east. And on Thursday, two Afghan soldiers tried to gun down a group of NATO troops outside a military base in eastern Afghanistan. No international forces were killed, but one of the attackers was killed as NATO forces shot back.

This year has seen a rising number of so-called "green-on-blue" attacks in which Afghan security forces, or insurgents disguised in their uniforms, kill their U.S. or NATO partners.

So far this year, 30 coalition troops have been killed in 20 such attacks, according to an Associated Press tally. That compares with 11 fatal attacks and 20 deaths the previous year. In 2007 and 2008 there was a combined total of four attacks and four deaths.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/10...-army-uniform/
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Too bad we can't equip these A-Hole the way our troops are when a DIMoRAT visits, totally disarmed.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    KABUL, AFGHANISTAN A man in an Afghan army uniform shot and killed three American service members on Friday morning in southern Afghanistan, the U.S. military command said, the third attack on coalition forces by their Afghan counterparts in a week. The Taliban claimed the shooter joined the insurgency after the attack.

The shooting took place in Sangin district of Helmand province, said U.S. military spokeswoman Maj. Lori Hodge. She gave no details and said the military were investigating.

Taliban spokesman Qari Yousef Ahmadi said by telephone that the attacker, whom he identified as a member of Helmand police named Asadullah, had joined the insurgency after his attack.

Ahmadi said the man had been helping U.S. forces train the Afghan Local Police troops.

The U.S. is hoping the Afghan Local Police will be a key force to fight the insurgency after most international troops withdraw.

The attack is the third this week on coalition soldiers by Afghans who are training to take over once most international forces leave in 2014.

On Tuesday, two gunmen wearing Afghan army uniforms killed a U.S. soldier and wounded two others in Paktia province in the east. And on Thursday, two Afghan soldiers tried to gun down a group of NATO troops outside a military base in eastern Afghanistan. No international forces were killed, but one of the attackers was killed as NATO forces shot back.

This year has seen a rising number of so-called "green-on-blue" attacks in which Afghan security forces, or insurgents disguised in their uniforms, kill their U.S. or NATO partners.

So far this year, 30 coalition troops have been killed in 20 such attacks, according to an Associated Press tally. That compares with 11 fatal attacks and 20 deaths the previous year. In 2007 and 2008 there was a combined total of four attacks and four deaths.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/10...-army-uniform/
    Okay, we need to do a bit of cultural thinking. What can we do that would resonate with the Afghans? If this had happened to another Afghan, there would be a blood feud and the perpetrator's whole clan would be targeted. The Afghans value family over everything else, and they do not have an understanding of individual responsibility. Any action that we take has to work on the clan or tribal networks. We don't necessarily have to go after the clan or tribe directly, but we can certainly provide support to rival clans with the understanding that we are doing that as a means of reprisal. Thus, if you hurt us, your rival clan gets money, weapons, traiining, the capacity to take the fight back to you in way that you will understand and fear and, in the long term, the honor of taking you down. These are tangible things that the Afghans understand under their honor code and customs and will provide the motivation that we need to get them to, if not be on our side, at least stop undermining us.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

This is clearly a case of workplace violence rather than terrorism. Janet Napolitano can give you all the details.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it....

I realize it's important to get info from the Taliban, but is it just me or is it troubling that the AP has a contact within the Taliban? I wouldn't be a very good reporter because I'd give up the source and make sure he was captured or killed.

I really respect Richard Engel but I don't know how he can be in a war zone (Syria) and not give the US info that he doesn't report on TV. Maybe he does?
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Okay, we need to do a bit of cultural thinking. What can we do that would resonate with the Afghans? If this had happened to another Afghan, there would be a blood feud and the perpetrator's whole clan would be targeted. The Afghans value family over everything else, and they do not have an understanding of individual responsibility. Any action that we take has to work on the clan or tribal networks. We don't necessarily have to go after the clan or tribe directly, but we can certainly provide support to rival clans with the understanding that we are doing that as a means of reprisal. Thus, if you hurt us, your rival clan gets money, weapons, traiining, the capacity to take the fight back to you in way that you will understand and fear and, in the long term, the honor of taking you down. These are tangible things that the Afghans understand under their honor code and customs and will provide the motivation that we need to get them to, if not be on our side, at least stop undermining us.
    Ally in uniform. I say hang him for the murdering traitor that he is.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Ally in uniform. I say hang him for the murdering traitor that he is.
    Yes, but that doesn't solve the problem. He's a jihadi. Hanging him gives him entrance to paradise and 72 virgins, not to mention the fact that the Taliban or some other agency will pick up the tab for supporting his family. You have to punish him in a way that resonates with his tribe or clan, and which will put pressure on the next guy not to repeat the stupidity, and the way to do that is to punish the tribe or clan. We don't have a culture that will permit reprisals in kind against his family or tribe, so we have to use proxies. Bankrolling his tribal or clan enemies will effectively punish his tribe/clan, and let them know that future attacks will result in further weakening their status. The more dishonor that we impose on his support network of family, clan and tribe, the more shame they will impose on him, and we'll see fewer attacks.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Yes, but that doesn't solve the problem. He's a jihadi. Hanging him gives him entrance to paradise and 72 virgins, not to mention the fact that the Taliban or some other agency will pick up the tab for supporting his family. You have to punish him in a way that resonates with his tribe or clan, and which will put pressure on the next guy not to repeat the stupidity, and the way to do that is to punish the tribe or clan. We don't have a culture that will permit reprisals in kind against his family or tribe, so we have to use proxies. Bankrolling his tribal or clan enemies will effectively punish his tribe/clan, and let them know that future attacks will result in further weakening their status. The more dishonor that we impose on his support network of family, clan and tribe, the more shame they will impose on him, and we'll see fewer attacks.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree. I'm saying he should be hanged as well. Hanging is a disgraceful way to die, even for a muzzie demon.
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I agree. I'm saying he should be hanged as well. Hanging is a disgraceful way to die, even for a muzzie demon.
    Beheading is considered worse. Personally, I think that he should be force-fed pork and then given a sex change and sent back to his tribe.
    --Odysseus

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I realize it's important to get info from the Taliban, but is it just me or is it troubling that the AP has a contact within the Taliban? I wouldn't be a very good reporter because I'd give up the source and make sure he was captured or killed.

I really respect Richard Engel but I don't know how he can be in a war zone (Syria) and not give the US info that he doesn't report on TV. Maybe he does?
    The Taliban call the reporters in country. And they tend to call from a country code that locates them in Pakistan.

As much as I dislike AP...at least they're slightly better than The Nation when it comes to Taliban propaganda. The Nation online publishes Taliban propaganda statements without disclaimers of any kind.

Engel is no better than Bernard Shaw or any of these other idiots that seem to think the fact they're a journalist trumps any kind of allegiance to their country.

Shaw if you remember...famously refused to be debriefed about his experience in the al-Rasheed hotel in Baghdad the first night of the air campaign in 1991.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.