Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1 Time, CNN Star Fareed Zakaria Suspended for Admitted Plagiarism 
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,062
    By Tim Graham | August 10, 2012 | 18:19
    A A
    Tim Graham's picture

    [UPDATED below page break: TIME magazine, CNN have suspended Zakaria.] When CNN host and Time editor-at-large Fareed Zakaria wrote a new piece called “The Case for Gun Control,” it ended with a bang: “So when people throw up their hands and say we can't do anything about guns, tell them they're being un-American--and unintelligent.”

    Here’s something that suggests a lack of intelligence: plagiarism. Cam Edwards at NRANews.com suggested to me that Zakaria seemed to plagiarize a paragraph from an April article in The New Yorker magazine -- with a modicum word-usage changes and interjections (Texas!) in an attempt to paper it over. Here’s a paragraph from his Time piece:

    Adam Winkler, a professor of constitutional law at UCLA, documents the actual history in Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America. Guns were regulated in the U.S. from the earliest years of the Republic. Laws that banned the carrying of concealed weapons were passed in Kentucky and Louisiana in 1813. Other states soon followed: Indiana in 1820, Tennessee and Virginia in 1838, Alabama in 1839 and Ohio in 1859. Similar laws were passed in Texas, Florida and Oklahoma. As the governor of Texas (Texas!) explained in 1893, the "mission of the concealed deadly weapon is murder. To check it is the duty of every self-respecting, law-abiding man."

    Compare that in its organization to this paragraph from a Jill Lepore New Yorker article from April:

    As Adam Winkler, a constitutional-law scholar at U.C.L.A., demonstrates in a remarkably nuanced new book, “Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America,” firearms have been regulated in the United States from the start. Laws banning the carrying of concealed weapons were passed in Kentucky and Louisiana in 1813, and other states soon followed: Indiana (1820), Tennessee and Virginia (1838), Alabama (1839), and Ohio (1859). Similar laws were passed in Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma. As the governor of Texas explained in 1893, the “mission of the concealed deadly weapon is murder. To check it is the duty of every self-respecting, law-abiding man."

    Voila! Xerox Zakaria!

    It's not the first time Zakaria's been accused of lifting things.

    Zakaria's also been caught giving the same commencement address over and over.

    Update 16:25:10

    Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-gra...#ixzz23IN33uZd
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,762
    He'll come back...with a raise and a new weekday show.

    Liberals always reward failure.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Western MI
    Posts
    2,360
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    He'll come back...with a raise and a new weekday show.

    Liberals always reward failure.
    Everyone has to receive a trophy! We're all winners! You did your best!





    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.



    Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Everyone has to receive a trophy! We're all winners! You did your best!





    Or in Zakaria's case, he did somebody else's best.

    Liberals don't find plagiarism to be that egregious because all of their ideas stem from the same sources, and they don't really have much to say. He resorted plagiarism in order to repeat the same talking points as the rest of the media, and he got slammed for taking the superficial wording, but the real offense is that he's a liberal parrot who cannot express an idea that hasn't been vetted by the DNC.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member LukeEDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    2,046
    There is no worries. CNN's rating are so bad that no one will see that he is gone.

    I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    By Tim Graham | August 10, 2012 | 18:19
    A A
    Tim Graham's picture

    [UPDATED below page break: TIME magazine, CNN have suspended Zakaria.] When CNN host and Time editor-at-large Fareed Zakaria wrote a new piece called “The Case for Gun Control,” it ended with a bang: “So when people throw up their hands and say we can't do anything about guns, tell them they're being un-American--and unintelligent.”

    Here’s something that suggests a lack of intelligence: plagiarism. Cam Edwards at NRANews.com suggested to me that Zakaria seemed to plagiarize a paragraph from an April article in The New Yorker magazine -- with a modicum word-usage changes and interjections (Texas!) in an attempt to paper it over. Here’s a paragraph from his Time piece:

    Adam Winkler, a professor of constitutional law at UCLA, documents the actual history in Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America. Guns were regulated in the U.S. from the earliest years of the Republic. Laws that banned the carrying of concealed weapons were passed in Kentucky and Louisiana in 1813. Other states soon followed: Indiana in 1820, Tennessee and Virginia in 1838, Alabama in 1839 and Ohio in 1859. Similar laws were passed in Texas, Florida and Oklahoma. As the governor of Texas (Texas!) explained in 1893, the "mission of the concealed deadly weapon is murder. To check it is the duty of every self-respecting, law-abiding man."

    Compare that in its organization to this paragraph from a Jill Lepore New Yorker article from April:

    As Adam Winkler, a constitutional-law scholar at U.C.L.A., demonstrates in a remarkably nuanced new book, “Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America,” firearms have been regulated in the United States from the start. Laws banning the carrying of concealed weapons were passed in Kentucky and Louisiana in 1813, and other states soon followed: Indiana (1820), Tennessee and Virginia (1838), Alabama (1839), and Ohio (1859). Similar laws were passed in Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma. As the governor of Texas explained in 1893, the “mission of the concealed deadly weapon is murder. To check it is the duty of every self-respecting, law-abiding man."

    Voila! Xerox Zakaria!

    It's not the first time Zakaria's been accused of lifting things.

    Zakaria's also been caught giving the same commencement address over and over.

    Update 16:25:10

    Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-gra...#ixzz23IN33uZd
    Not to hijack the topic away from plagiarism and onto something as trivial as the content of the plagiarized quote, but I like how the quote gives the impression that the laws being referenced were a matter of controlling who had access to firearms rather than what it clearly was: a law protecting the public from concealed firearms. While I am no expert, I challenge any firearms control advocate to find laws prohibiting open carry from that time period. I also find it ironic that today we have reversed the standards of our forefathers and prosecute openly carrying and encourage concealed carry.

    Just a n00b's 2 cents.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member TVDOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I also find it ironic that today we have reversed the standards of our forefathers and prosecute openly carrying and encourage concealed carry.

    Just a n00b's 2 cents.
    Open carry scares the sheep.......

    I think that it's a matter of culture and geography. Open carry is legal here, but rarely seen, concealed carry is the norm to avoid problems. That said, midwesterners are generally comfortable with armed citizens, in my little home town, it is rare to see a pickup that doesn't have a gunrack in the back window, with at least a shotgun and rifle. Carrying a loaded handgun in your vehicle is perfectly legal without a CCW permit, and many do, so the "default" assumption among natives is that people are armed.

    It's been that way for a more than a century, nobody cares..........

    doc.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •