eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Florida of course...

By Wayne K. Roustan and David
    Fleshler, Sun Sentinel
    9:57 p.m.
    EDT, August
    15, 2012

POMPANO BEACH—

A 28-year-old woman was killed Wednesday afternoon while parasailing when her
    harness broke and she plunged more than 150 feet into the ocean off Pompano Beach, authorities said.

Kathleen Miskell, of Wethersfield, Conn., was parasailing in tandem
    with her husband, Stephen, at about 3:15 p.m. when she fell from her harness and
    hit the water. Her husband, apparently unhurt, was reeled in by the boat
    operators, who then circled back to recover his wife, Pompano Fire Rescue
    spokeswoman Sandra King said.

"She was in cardiac arrest," King said.

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often....
    May the FORCE be with you!

So the fall itself didn't kill her, she was scared shitless by it.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post

That's what I thought when I saw the story on the news this morning. I didn't even think of it as a "weird Florida" story.

Then I thought-would I survive such an fall? I swim for 45 minutes at least 5 days a week. I don't have any heart problems. Still, would my body automatically panic before my brain kicked in to assure me I could survive?

That would scare me pretty bad also. I have heard stories of people dying before they hit the ground from high falls like that. I feel bad for her husband. I hope he can pull through this o.k.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    ............Then I thought-would I survive such an fall? .......... Still, would my body automatically panic before my brain kicked in to assure me I could survive?
    It's anyone's guess, but here's the scoop:

According to my figures, at 150 feet she was in the air 3.2 seconds and hit the water at 65MPH.
    A blow like that will knock most people out, and probably cause internal organ damage. I know the guys on the scene said she was in cardiac arrest, but she probably had lots of other things wrong, too.

I'd expect this to happen in Honduras or some other crappy country...but here? How does a harness break like that?!?!? Was she over the weight limit?

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I'd expect this to happen in Honduras or some other crappy country...but here? How does a harness break like that?!?!? Was she over the weight limit?

I'd guess poor maint. Sun and salt water are going to break down fabrics and seams...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Possible but more likely the impact knocked the air out of her lungs and the shock from the impact kept her from regaining her breath followed by cardiac arrest.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

As a devout coward, I won't have to worry about getting hurt that way. When my son and his family were in Florida, I asked if he wanted to go parasailing. He's always been adventurous, but declined. I guess having 2 little kids under 3 1/2 years makes one more cautious.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

The industry operates with little regulation from state or federal governments. An analysis prepared for the Florida Legislature showed four people were killed in parasailing accidents in Florida from 2001 to 2011.
    Bills in the Legislature to impose safety standards have repeatedly died, including one proposed in this year's session.
    That bill would have established safety standards for parasailing gear, required a minimum of $1 million in insurance, prohibited parasailing in hazardous weather and set other standards to protect riders. Both bills died in committee.
    I find it interesting but not surprising that there is virtually no regulation on that industry in Florida. Everything seems to die in committee here. I hate government regulation, but in some cases it has its place.

One aspect of laissez faire is purchasing a home. You're on your own, baby, down here. St Louis County had safety inspections and general fitness inspections for all homes sold in the county. Sadly, 2 years ago when we moved here we got the worst of both. STL County, where I sold my home, has tough regulations. They hit us with really petty little stuff, but the home buyer benefitted greatly.

We moved here where's it like the Wild West with lots of charlatans. Home inspection? Surely you jest. We had the realtors home inspector, as we were just moving here and didn't know anyone else to get. Believe me, that inspector overlooked a lot so the real estate babe could get her commission.

But thie home inspection thing is "just" money. It's inexcusable that they don't at least do more safety checks when parasailling obviously involves lives.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"