1. #1 Pastors question sports on Sundays 
    Pastors question sports on Sundays

It is a weekly ordeal at the Rev. Donald Mossa's church in Hanover.

The moment the youth choir sings its last note, a swarm of parents descends to rush their kids to soccer games. Or they call to say they're skipping Sunday services because of a tournament.

"The anxiety of 'Do I go to church or do I take my kid to the soccer game?' is a weekly ordeal," said Mossa, a pastor at the Presbyterian Church of Whippany. "It's letting the team down versus letting God down."

Mossa is part of a group of pastors from eight Hanover churches that is asking township officials to ban sports games on Sunday mornings.

The group, called the Hanover Township Interreligious Council, approached the township committee last month for help in "restoring sacredness to the Sabbath." The holy day, the group contends, is crucial during a time when divorce rates and substance abuse appear to be on the rise.

The group represents all the churches in town and spans five denominations, serving more than 5,000 parishioners. This week, the pastors also planned to e-mail 63 churches in Morris, Sussex, Hunterdon and Warren counties to ask for their support.

Link

Sounds like blue laws for the new millennium. What an absolute joke they want to get the Gov't involved in hopes of increasing their attendance.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    Pastors question sports on Sundays

It is a weekly ordeal at the Rev. Donald Mossa's church in Hanover.

The moment the youth choir sings its last note, a swarm of parents descends to rush their kids to soccer games. Or they call to say they're skipping Sunday services because of a tournament.

"The anxiety of 'Do I go to church or do I take my kid to the soccer game?' is a weekly ordeal," said Mossa, a pastor at the Presbyterian Church of Whippany. "It's letting the team down versus letting God down."

Mossa is part of a group of pastors from eight Hanover churches that is asking township officials to ban sports games on Sunday mornings.

The group, called the Hanover Township Interreligious Council, approached the township committee last month for help in "restoring sacredness to the Sabbath." The holy day, the group contends, is crucial during a time when divorce rates and substance abuse appear to be on the rise.

The group represents all the churches in town and spans five denominations, serving more than 5,000 parishioners. This week, the pastors also planned to e-mail 63 churches in Morris, Sussex, Hunterdon and Warren counties to ask for their support.

Link

Sounds like blue laws for the new millennium. What an absolute joke they want to get the Gov't involved in hopes of increasing their attendance.

Eh, I see it a little differently. I dont think they are trying to "increase their attendance" I think he's trying to get the butts that are already there in the chairs, and these parents are stuck in between a rock and a hard place. I dont think they should bring it to the governement, but go to the sports leagues instead to work out an arraingment. Maybe late afternoon games, or Saturday games.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    Eh, I see it a little differently. I dont think they are trying to "increase their attendance" I think he's trying to get the butts that are already there in the chairs, and these parents are stuck in between a rock and a hard place. I dont think they should bring it to the governement, but go to the sports leagues instead to work out an arraingment. Maybe late afternoon games, or Saturday games.
    We don't have any games on Sunday at all here. We don't even have them on Wednesdays, due to prayer meeting.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Ain't nothing new. 40 years ago my brother and I got dirty looks from the choir director when we showed up 2 minutes late for choir practice. He knew we were at the ball game and therefore had sinned.

The dirty looks were bad enough but our home team really sucked back then. So they'd get their asses kicked and we'd get dirty looks. That's to much for a couple teenagers to handle.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

noonwitch
    I grew up in a religiously conservative community, and we never had baseball games on Sundays. We didn't on Saturdays, either, out of respect to the two jewish kids in the league, unless it was a rain-day makeup game. We played early evenings, for the most part.

Grand Rapids has changed a lot since I was a kid, though, so I don't know if they still don't have games on Sundays. My sister lives in St. Joe, and her kids have games on Sundays. But St. Joe isn't part of the dutch triangle.