Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I've covered roughly 300 + accidents due to drunk driving. Not all fatal, not all major accidents. Some when I get there are a guy who scraped against a tree or a parked car.

I'm all for them...
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

Sonnabend
    Funny. I hear that exact same line about gun laws too.
    Irrelevant.

I am for stricter punishment for DUIs. And I want them to catch the drunks. I just dont think shutting down roads and questioning everyone is the right approach.
    No one is being questioned.They are being asked to breathe into a bag and be tested. What do you suggest? Whatever measure you raise will be shouted down by someone else asserting their rights.

What about the rights of the fucking VICTIMS? What about the rights of the parents of the five year old girl mown down by a drink driver here last week? Of the family wiped out by some shitwit who has EIGHT scotches and then did a head on on the Hume Highway?

I am not saying I disagree with the eckpoints, I just disagree with the police's right to stop people against their will and with no probable cause.
    Ah so now you also have an issue with random breath testing, as well as police breath test stations. By that criteria, police can no longer randomly stop cars and take breath tests....never mind that this process has caught a HUGE slew of DUI drivers.

What's next? Concealed Gun checkpoints? Illegal Alien checkpoints? Why just DUI?
    Here...this is from Kansas

Where I used to live, DUI checkpoints were very common during the summer. It meant a one hour commute instead of a 5 minute commute home from dinner or the gym. And if you tried to find a shortcut, you were guaranteed to get pulled over. Perhaps I dont feel the government has a right to randomly search me and my car with no cause whatsoever.
    How does a DUI breath test equate to "searching your car"?

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    The street, the road, and the freeway are not yours. They're designated as city, state and federally controlled entities, patrolled and protected by various agencies of law enforcement. You do not have to use them - it's not absolutely mandatory in your life. Don't like the check-points? Walk. You're lucky somebody didn't use a night stick on you and arrest your sorry ass.

I am lucky that somebody didnt use a nightstick on me for doing nothing wrong?

Haha, I wish they had. I could use another boat.

But nice attitude. Clearly we live in a police state, and that is the way you want it. We are all here at the mercy of the 22 yr old, GED-educated police force. Lucky us!
    **** Obama and **** you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Irrelevant.

No one is being questioned.They are being asked to breathe into a bag and be tested. What do you suggest? Whatever measure you raise will be shouted down by someone else asserting their rights.

What about the rights of the fucking VICTIMS? What about the rights of the parents of the five year old girl mown down by a drink driver here last week? Of the family wiped out by some shitwit who has EIGHT scotches and then did a head on on the Hume Highway?

Ah so now you also have an issue with random breath testing, as well as police breath test stations. By that criteria, police can no longer randomly stop cars and take breath tests....never mind that this process has caught a HUGE slew of DUI drivers.

Here...this is from Kansas

How does a DUI breath test equate to "searching your car"?
    So then we should ban alcohol, right? What possible good does alcohol serve? If I use all this logic in your post, that is the only conclusion.

By the way, I love your statistics from Kansas! Let's harass 6,000 people to arrest 2% of them! Brilliant!

If cops had half a brain, and lawyers didnt run this country, we would park the cops in front of bars and pull every single person over who left a bar rather than sit on a public street and arrest 2 freakin percent of the people we stop. I could go out of my house and throw a rock from my porch and hit a drunk driver 2% of the time. Yea, reeeeeaaaaal effective.
    Last edited by OwlMBA; 09-20-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Sonnabend
    In the United States the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that 17,941 people died in 2006 in "alcohol-related" collisions, representing 41 percent of total traffic deaths in the US. Over 500,000 people were injured in alcohol-related accidents in the US in 2003.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-driving_N.htm

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) — Drunken driving fatalities increased in 22 states in 2006 and fell in 28 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, federal transportation officials said Monday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released data showing there were 13,470 deaths in 2006 involving drivers and motorcycle operators with blood alcohol levels of .08 or higher, which is the legal limit for adults throughout the country. The number was down slightly from 2005, when 13,582 people died in crashes involving legally drunk drivers.

The overall number of deaths involving drivers and motorcycle operators with any amount of alcohol in their blood was 17,602 last year. That was up from 17,590 in 2005, according to spokeswoman Heather Ann Hopkins.

http://alcoholism.about.com/b/2007/0...hot-debate.htm

The story of two Virginia Beach teenage girls, who were killed when their car, stopped at a traffic light was rear-ended by a drunk driver, turned into a national debate when it was learned the accused drunk driver was an illegal immigrant who had previously been convicted of driving under the influence. Tessa Tranchant, 16, and Allison Kuhnhardt, 17, died when the car in which they were stopped was hit in the rear by Alfredo Ramos, 22, who never had a driver's license and speaks no English.

The debate was sparked by Fox News' Bill O'Reilly who blamed the deaths of the two teens on Virginia Beach officials for turning the city into a "sanctuary" for illegal aliens. O'Reilly blamed Mayor Meyera Oberndorf and the judge for not deporting Ramos after his February DUI conviction.

By the way, I am all for locking up DUIs. I support permanent license removal on the first offense and serious prison time. I am for MURDER convictions for DUIs who kill people (none of this manslaughter nonsense).

I am not trying to protect the criminal, just trying to debate if this is the most effective way. This reminds of of cops going door to door to see if anyone has any "illegal weapons". It just reaks of police state to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    The street, the road, and the freeway are not yours. They're designated as city, state and federally controlled entities, patrolled and protected by various agencies of law enforcement.
    So I can just be stopped by an agent of the state for no reason? I have no right to be secure in my person? I thought I read somewhere that I did.

Papers please.
    Be Not Afraid.

Sonnabend
    By the way, I love your statistics from Kansas! Let's harass 6,000 people to arrest 2% of them! Brilliant!

Glad you liked them...the total arrests were over forty people. Forty drunk drivers taken off the road. Forty drivers who were stopped from killing others.

Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    So I can just be stopped by an agent of the state for no reason? I have no right to be secure in my person? I thought I read somewhere that I did.

Papers please.
    Right on.... I cant believe he even posted such nonsense.

Apparently we are allowed freedom, but only a sufficient amount as determined by our local law enforcement officials.