Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738
    In America, they ask for your papers.
    ... certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited. Such action is long overdue.

- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    In America, they ask for your papers.
    He won't understand.;)
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Sonnabend
    He won't understand.;)
    License, registration, proof of insurance.

Yes, I do understand.

4. #374 Ok, a little rationality. 
    Banned
    I understand the arguments of those involved. But let us face a few realities. I apologize for posting so late into this, but I specifically joined to reply to this thread. It seems some have a personal investment in this argument, whether as an ER nurse, or someone being harassed by a checkpoint, pick your poison. I will state my viewpoint as concisely as possible. I understand the terrible costs of DUIs, but I am an old school conservative, not a neo-con, and still believe in slippery slopes.

As horrid as "driving while impaired" (or "driving under the influence of intoxicants"... let us define it as the law reads, not as "drunk driving", they are two distinctly different things) can be, lets face the larger reality that the road to hell was paved with good intentions, which is presumably why we are conservatives.

One question constantly placed is... paraphrased... how do you reduce the horrors from drunk driving? Reduced to: how do you protect me? The answer, in all honesty is, we don't. On other issues we as conservatives berate liberals' attempts to expand their power to protect the "uninsured", the "unemployed", the "dis-enfranchised", the "environment", etc. Let's face a few realities: the neo-con movement has performed a huge disservice to all of us. And the thinking that allowing the government to infringe on any right, regardless of how "arguable" that right may be, regardless of what societal benefits you may perceive from doing so, is diabolical. After the terrorist attacks, the concept of the patriot act, and various infringement upon US citizens (e.g., NSA wiretaps), are not defensible to a true conservative. The mantra of the "neo-con" is that this is to "protect the american people". Well, as I read the oath of office of federally, and many state, elected officials in the U.S., ... their job is to "protect and defend the Constitution of the United States". And to me, as long as the officials protect my rights in the constitution, I am not only capable, but have a moral obligation, to defend myself personally.

When cannot ask of government, whether federal, state, or local; to be proactive in the enforcement of laws (how far does it go? in many parts of the US, if you are intoxicated, and go into your own driveway to retrieve your laptop from the front seat... the minute you open the door (and you have the keys in your possession, you unlocked the door) you can be charged with DUI even though the engine was never started, let alone driven... the rationalization? You were, by virtue of the key in your possession, and you were in the car, you were in "control" of the automobile. Checkpoints as discussed, are just another symptom of this type of encroachment.

I hate to say it, but retaining freedoms and liberties, frequently require personal risk. Including the risk of sharing the road with the occasional drunk driver. I am defending something more important than me.

Sonnabend
    Translation:

So what if you've had ten drinks, cant see straight enough to walk, it's your God given Constitutional right to get behind the wheel and kill anyone unfortunate enough to be on the same road as you.

Don't tell me, let me guess,...you got nailed for DUI, didn't you?

P.S

If you want to discuss an issue, start a new thread.

This one is now closed.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 09-19-2009 at 09:37 PM.