1. #1 Sandy's can cars 
    Hi, I'm Sandy Sanderson and I live in Hamilton, New Zealand.

We all have drinks from cans and invariably throw them away. Some may not care, others may care but not know what to do with them, others care enough to recycle them through local recycling schemes.

I have always religiously recycled but often spent time looking at the graphics on the can and looking at the shape of the bottom thinking "That could make a really cool wheel". After having an accident which left me with some time to use, I decided to put pencil to paper and try and make a racing car using the bottoms of cans as its wheels, and the graphics as the decoration for the body.

During the design stage, but more importantly during the construction, great care must be taken to ensure that the graphics on the can match up from one panel to the next. For what may appear to be just one can moving across a bonnet and down around a mudguard there could actually be five or six cans used to create that effect. Some of the cars have required over 30 cans for thier construction.

Due to the cans being as thin as a piece of paper, a wooden inner structure had to be made to support the flimsy shell before carefully cutting and creasing the panels to shape. Other materials used include superglue, galvanised wire, electrical cable, tiny nuts and bolts, and washers, aluminium tubing and a few pins from a sewing kit.

The tool kit can be very basic: single edged razor blades for cutting both the balsa and the cans, a pair of sharp scissors for cutting the cans, a sheet of 180 grit sandpaper for the wooden parts and sheet of 400 grit wet and dry for the metal, pair of compasses for circles and curves, a rule for measuring and straight lines, a pair of pliers for cutting and bending wire, a pair of tweezers for assembling fiddly bits, some metal polish and a can of clear lacquer to finish it off. On some of the cars the galvanised wire has needed joining to itself and the strongest way of doing that is with soft solder. So a small soldering iron will be needed for that.

The small details that can be included really do add enormously to the effect. These can include tyre valves, wheel nuts, suspension components, brake hoses, lights, instrument dials and switches, hand brake and gear lever, foot pedals, carburettors with fuel lines and linkages, distributor and plug leads, oil filler, and exhaust system. The limit is your imagination.They are worth the trouble of adding to the car.

Although these are not models of real cars, the size of them would put them at about 1:10 scale. They do not have any working features, just nice to look at, and suprisingly nice to touch! These pictures do not do the cars justice.

29 Dec 2011

After a a while of no building, I have started another car, the 7 Up Single Seater. I have added a page called Work in Progress where I am uploading images as I build. Hope you all enjoy the site.

One of the biggest pleasures for me when selling the plans is to get images back of what you have built. I have also added a page for these to go on. So please send me any photos that you have taken of your build, and I will include them on this page.

Many thanks for your support and kind words.

Have a happy and restful New Year!!!

Sandy
    http://www.sandyscancars.com/

I first heard about these cars in a hoax Email claiming Albert (Tapper) Torney made these cars, the email is a hoax but the cars aren't, Sandy made um.

How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Same here - I sent the evidence back to the sender and never heard another word, Like the ad on TV, if it's on the Internet, it must be true. -- if only.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.