Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    They share some blame, too, but I'm willing to guess the problem predates the unionization of the city's workforce. I'm not sure when Detroit's city employees were unionized, but it was probably in the 50s at the earliest. They no longer needed the job by the end of WWII, if not earlier.

Does the city have a working blacksmith, fabrication or welding shop that repairs equipment?

The article sounds like the guy is working, just not on horses.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I am sure the city could use the money in better ways. But I guess if you live there and don't give a shit, then who will?

I seen on TV that a kid had a lemonade stand to raise money for the city of Detroit. He donated $3,300 to the city.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/kidspost/detroit-kid-raises-3300-for-his-financially-strapped-city-by-selling-lemonade/2012/08/13/cba4d616-e093-11e1-8fc5-a7dcf1fc161d_story.html
    I'm surprised that the city didn't shut down the lemonade stand. However, the kid's hard work and enterprise has given the city of Detroit enough money to pay a month's salary for their blacksmith. If that kid were to keep it up, he could also pay for a guy to go around the city and light the gas-powered streetlights, or perhaps pay for the person who runs the handloom that makes the cloth for the city's municipal uniforms, or maybe he could pay someone to hunt and gather nuts and roots to feed the municipal workforce...
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I'm surprised that the city didn't shut down the lemonade stand. However, the kid's hard work and enterprise has given the city of Detroit enough money to pay a month's salary for their blacksmith. If that kid were to keep it up, he could also pay for a guy to go around the city and light the gas-powered streetlights, or perhaps pay for the person who runs the handloom that makes the cloth for the city's municipal uniforms, or maybe he could pay someone to hunt and gather nuts and roots to feed the municipal workforce...

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Does the city have a working blacksmith, fabrication or welding shop that repairs equipment?

The article sounds like the guy is working, just not on horses.
    I don't know, but the Detroit Police Department maintains a small mounted force for special occasions. Maybe they use the horse shoe guy?

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't know, but the Detroit Police Department maintains a small mounted force for special occasions. Maybe they use the horse shoe guy?
    oh boy....

you said "mounted force"