Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    5,725
    If you are concerned about global warming (as I am) and think that human-created carbon dioxide may contribute (as I do), then you still should agree that we are much better off having broken the hockey stick. Misinformation can do real harm, because it distorts predictions. Suppose, for example, that future measurements in the years 2005-2015 show a clear and distinct global cooling trend (It could happen). If we mistakenly took the hockey stick seriously--that is, if we believed that natural fluctuations in climate are small--then we might conclude (mistakenly) that the cooling could not be just a random fluctuation on top of a long-term warming trend, since according to the hockey stick, such fluctuations are negligible. And that might lead in turn to the mistaken conclusion that global warming predictions are a lot of hooey. If, on the other hand, we reject the hockey stick, and recognize that natural fluctuations can be large, then we will not be misled by a few years of random cooling. A phony hockey stick is more dangerous than a broken one--if we know it is broken. It is our responsibility as scientists to look at the data in an unbiased way, and draw whatever conclusions follow. When we discover a mistake, we admit it, learn from it, and perhaps discover once again the value of caution.

    So junkscience.com is right: Richard Muller was never a true AGW skeptic. But they go beyond that point by claiming that he is a "Climate Profiteer" profiting on AGW alarmism. Of course, this is much like calling Home Depot and Lowe's disaster profiteers because they warn people to be prepared for disasters while at the same time selling just what those same people need to prepare for (or repair) damage from disasters.



    Thanks a bunch for finding this Ody - I've been hunting it since the subject arose. I knew I had Muller on the alarmist list but I could not find the evidence.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    No deal. Fikes is a science writer, with a background in physics. He and I used to argue at the late Cathy Seipp's blog, and he was an ardent warmist.
    I checked out Mr. Fikes's LinkedIn profile and I saw no science credentials or graduate degrees listed. So, just what do you mean when you say that Fikes has a background in physics?
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I checked out Mr. Fikes's LinkedIn profile and I saw no science credentials or graduate degrees listed. So, just what do you mean when you say that Fikes has a background in physics?
    The point is moot. Muller didn't convert, he was always a warmist. OTOH, I provided over a dozen examples of warmists who became skeptics.

    The fail is strong with you in this thread. You may concede defeat any time now.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Senior Member wasp69's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I checked out Mr. Fikes's LinkedIn profile and I saw no science credentials or graduate degrees listed. So, just what do you mean when you say that Fikes has a background in physics?
    Damn, just because it didn't exist on the internet, it never existed....

    Do you ever stop to think about how stupid you sound? Does it bother you that no one else believes you're the smartest one in the room? The Colonel has booted your goal post moving ass all over this thread and you still keep trying to convince everyone of your superiority. Do you think it might be time to get some help for that any-attention-is-good-attention problem from which you seem to suffer?

    Why in the world anyone ever lets you back in the door is beyond me. You completely destroy the value and IQ level of any forum you haunt.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    5,725
    Quote Originally Posted by wasp69 View Post
    .................Do you think it might be time to get some help for that any-attention-is-good-attention problem from which you seem to suffer?
    WHAM!!!!! as Marvel would say.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,687
    He passed through later this afternoon and didn't seem to want to add anything, the window licken chicken has been fowled again!



    Last edited by Rockntractor; 08-24-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Senior Member TVDOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by wasp69 View Post
    Why in the world anyone ever lets you back in the door is beyond me. You completely destroy the value and IQ level of any forum you haunt.
    I take no small amount of pride in the fact that I, personally pushed the button that flushed this turd permanently at CC.....it should be noted that he wasn't thrown off for his "religous" dedication to AGW, but he was tossed because he called a serving member of the US Army a "baby killer".

    He is a two-trick pony, AGW and athesim threads are the only ones that attract him.

    I thought he was dead......so much for wishful thinking, at least he hasn't used realclimate.com as a reference yet in this thread. As I'm sure you know TNO, I too, have significant scientific credentials, and you won't find them on the internet. This fact doesn't make my educated opinion that AGW is the biggest scam foisted on the world in decades, any less valid.

    doc
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by TVDOC View Post
    I take no small amount of pride in the fact that I, personally pushed the button that flushed this turd permanently at CC.....it should be noted that he wasn't thrown off for his "religous" dedication to AGW, but he was tossed because he called a serving member of the US Army a "baby killer".

    He is a two-trick pony, AGW and athesim threads are the only ones that attract him.

    I thought he was dead......so much for wishful thinking, at least he hasn't used realclimate.com as a reference yet in this thread. As I'm sure you know TNO, I too, have significant scientific credentials, and you won't find them on the internet. This fact doesn't make my educated opinion that AGW is the biggest scam foisted on the world in decades, any less valid.

    doc
    TNO has been blown out of the water in this thread. He will not return to it, but will lie low until he thinks that we've forgotten, and then do the same thing again.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    5,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    TNO has been blown out of the water in this thread. He will not return to it, but will lie low until he thinks that we've forgotten, and then do the same thing again.
    Standard behavior for the pseudo-alarmist (those with absolutely no scientific training) who are BELIEVERS.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Standard behavior for the pseudo-alarmist (those with absolutely no scientific training) who are BELIEVERS.
    A conservative lawyer needs to put together a lawsuit against the government for adopting the climate change worship into our government, nonbelievers should not be forced to support this religion with offerings being taken at the point of the gun by the IRS their tabernacle(the EPA) should be sold and its bishops, ministers and prophets should be made to seek their support from the true believers that voluntarily worship at its alters.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •