Thread: Horses in crisis

1. #1 Horses in crisis 
    The drought is affecting everyone so adversely. Today I had a message from a friend in Missouri who has rescued three horses. She paid a small amount for them to avoid having them put down, as the previous owners could not afford to feed them. She doesn't have much herself, has a couple rescued racer greyhounds, a mutt rescued in La during Katrina, plus ducks, chickens, goats. She lives on a very small farm outside of Missouri.

Bless her heart. She has two teenagers, who are taking it on themselves to use the money from their summer jobs to help pay for the upkeep of the horses. I don't know how they're going to make it financially with all those mouths to feed.

Then after talking to her, I got the following message from my son, who has a radio show about pets. This is a message that someone sent him.

didnt know if you have anybody that may be interested in 2 males horses both 18 yrs old Both are gilded (fixed)

One is a Fox Trotter that is very gentle the other a spotted saddle horse part Tennessee Walker that was used in his early years as a competetion horse and would make a great arena horse. Both have blue papers and are easy keepers. They are both free to good home and he will deliver them locally. It is a patient of mine who has them. One is reddish in color the other grey. Both are rideable. He is considering taking them to slaughter because of the drought they cant afford hay anymore.
    I wonder how many good horses that could be ridden are going to end up as dog food. This drought is truly a plague. Ask Rock.

You can't even give a good horse away now. BTW, if anyone is in the Missouri/Illinois area and would be interested in a good cause, contact me via pm and I'll give you the info on who to contact for these horses.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    The drought is affecting everyone so adversely. Today I had a message from a friend in Missouri who has rescued three horses. She paid a small amount for them to avoid having them put down, as the previous owners could not afford to feed them. She doesn't have much herself, has a couple rescued racer greyhounds, a mutt rescued in La during Katrina, plus ducks, chickens, goats. She lives on a very small farm outside of Missouri.

Bless her heart. She has two teenagers, who are taking it on themselves to use the money from their summer jobs to help pay for the upkeep of the horses. I don't know how they're going to make it financially with all those mouths to feed.

Then after talking to her, I got the following message from my son, who has a radio show about pets. This is a message that someone sent him.

I wonder how many good horses that could be ridden are going to end up as dog food. This drought is truly a plague. Ask Rock.

You can't even give a good horse away now. BTW, if anyone is in the Missouri/Illinois area and would be interested in a good cause, contact me via pm and I'll give you the info on who to contact for these horses.
    If you go to the Okmulgee livestock auction with a stock trailer you have to lock it when you go inside, if you don't you will come back out and there will be one or more horses in it, I'm not kidding.
    The dumped two next too my house last fall and The sheriff came and picked them up, He kept one but the other was too far along in starvation and had to be put down.

The Arabian that was given me is doing fine but I have no pasture or hay available, I feed soy meal and alfalfa pellets sparingly.
    The feed went from 8.00 per hundred 4 years ago to 33.00 per hundred.
    The goats eat soy meal shredded paper and dry leaves.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    If you go to the Okmulgee livestock auction with a stock trailer you have to lock it when you go inside, if you don't you will come back out and there will be one or more horses in it, I'm not kidding.
    The dumped two next too my house last fall and The sheriff came and picked them up, He kept one but the other was too far along in starvation and had to be put down.

The Arabian that was given me is doing fine but I have no pasture or hay available, I feed soy meal and alfalfa pellets sparingly.
    The feed went from 8.00 per hundred 4 years ago to 33.00 per hundred.
    The goats eat soy meal shredded paper and dry leaves.
    Hay is expensive too according to my sister in SLO. Supposedly they can ship it to China and make more off it than hauling it to destinations in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Hay is expensive too according to my sister in SLO. Supposedly they can ship it to China and make more off it than hauling it to destinations in California.
    They sent millions of tons to china last winter and burned half of our corn crop as ethanol, now they are doubling the mandate on ethanol...............
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    They sent millions of tons to china last winter and burned half of our corn crop as ethanol, now they are doubling the mandate on ethanol...............
    This is a consequence of not only the bad weather, but of our going further and further into debt with the Chinese and with Obama's lack of caring for our citizens and their animals. He's stubbornly refusing to ease the mandate on ethanol at what a price.

Here's a message from another friend who volunteers at Danada, a horse rescue facility in the Chicago suburban area. Blackjack is her horse.

Everywhere there is a shortage. At Danada we just got a load because we preorder many months ago. Baythorne, where Blackjack is, they are still calling around for more. Too many people are dumping their horses because they can't feed them, and by dumping, I mean turning them loose! Not too much in our area because we're very urban, but just west of here, where there is even more open forest preserve, they've found loose horses.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"