Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 92
  1. #11  
    gator
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluesniffer View Post
    I think he's probably right on this one. The US is the country with the highest CEO wages in the world, so it shouldn't bring any problem for America's competitiveness in the global talent war. And there is absolutely no economic logic that justifies the rising of CEO wages by a multitude of average wage rises over the past few decades. Nobody needs a few ten million dollars a year, and you don't deserve it if you're not even the one taking any risks.
    Spoken like a Socialist.

    Why does a baseball player "deserve" to get $10 million a year? Because other people are willing to give it to him to see him hit homeruns and it is none of the business of the government, is it?

    Not everybody has the skills to run a company and those that do are in such short supply that they can demand large wages for their time. Just because you can't demand as much money for your time does not make it unfair.

    I think a lot of things are "unfair" but I don't expect the role of the govenment to be to correct each and every one of them. For instance, it is unfair that Rev Wright preaches racial hatred but yet lives in a bigger house than me.
     

  2. #12  
    Goldwater
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    I would love to see some polling data on this (I bet McCain has). I think the majority of Americans are repulsed by the hyper inflated incomes of some of these poorly performing CEOS.

    Kevin Drum wrote this 4 years ago:




    Some interesting comments and suggestions at the Yglesias site.
    But at the end of the day, if they're not being bailed out by the Fed and not doing anything illegal, they can pay themselves/each other whatever the shareholders are ok with.
     

  3. #13  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Spoken like a Socialist.

    Why does a baseball player "deserve" to get $10 million a year? Because other people are willing to give it to him to see him hit homeruns and it is none of the business of the government, is it?

    Not everybody has the skills to run a company and those that do are in such short supply that they can demand large wages for their time. Just because you can't demand as much money for your time does not make it unfair.

    I think a lot of things are "unfair" but I don't expect the role of the govenment to be to correct each and every one of them. For instance, it is unfair that Rev Wright preaches racial hatred but yet lives in a bigger house than me.
    Some of those prima donna sports figures make over 40 million plus they only work 6 to 8 months a year. Plus these dudes have job security with their long term contract; also, they have a union to protect them. So if they get into trouble with the law or the league, they have free representation. Also, there is no comparison between the responsibility of a ball player making this kind of money with a CEO of a large Corp. They also work long hours. Although I do not advocate capping anyone's salary, it is my opinion that a ball player is only worth about 1/4 the amount of a top CEO.
     

  4. #14  
    Eyelids
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Some of those prima donna sports figures make over 40 million plus they only work 6 to 8 months a year. Plus these dudes have job security with their long term contract; also, they have a union to protect them. So if they get into trouble with the law or the league, they have free representation. Also, there is no comparison between the responsibility of a ball player making this kind of money with a CEO of a large Corp. They also work long hours. Although I do not advocate capping anyone's salary, it is my opinion that a ball player is only worth about 1/4 the amount of a top CEO.
    NFL players do not have guaranteed contracts and can have be terminated at any time without penalty for the team.

    If the rich/poor gap in this country keeps getting worse it will be 1929 all over again. And while this country has shown the ability to recover from something like that, I'd rather not live through it.
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Regulated CEO pay idea is just ridiculous. Of all the problems this country has - economically and politically - itís still a land of free choice. What shareholders or team owners choose to pay their top people is their business.

    Sure as Hell not the governmentís. :mad:
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
     

  6. #16  
    Eyelids
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    What shareholders or team owners choose to pay their top people is their business. :
    Not when it starts to affect me.
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Not when it starts to affect me.
    And how has it effected you thus far?
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Not when it starts to affect me.
    Youíll need to educate me on your importance in the system and why effecting you should direct various corporations on how much to compensate their executives.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member Zathras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    6,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    And how has it effected you thus far?
    Business on his paper route is down.
     

  10. #20  
    Goldwater
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Not when it starts to affect me.
    It doesn't affect you, unless it's a bailout by the fed, or companies are using influence to distort markets.
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •