1. #1 Ivan the gorilla, once a Tacoma store attraction, dies at Atlanta zoo 
    Quote Originally Posted by KOMO
    ATLANTA -- Ivan, a western lowland gorilla that spent decades displayed as an attraction at the B&I store in Tacoma, has died.

Zoo Atlanta says the 50-year-old gorilla never regained consciousness after he was put under general anesthesia Monday for a diagnostic assessment.
    Komo News Link

When the Coast Guard transferred me to the Pacific Northwest, I was told that this was one of the first things I had to see. Thankfully, I never did. As a conservationist, I believe in the dominion of man over animal however, that doesn't mean in abuse. Fortunately for Ivan, the store shut down the display in 94 and he was moved to the Woodland Park Zoo, where he earned a second life.

Ivan, you will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    Komo News Link

When the Coast Guard transferred me to the Pacific Northwest, I was told that this was one of the first things I had to see. Thankfully, I never did. As a conservationist, I believe in the dominion of man over animal however, that doesn't mean in abuse. Fortunately for Ivan, the store shut down the display in 94 and he was moved to the Woodland Park Zoo, where he earned a second life.

Ivan, you will be missed.
    He didn't have a computer did he?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    He didn't have a computer did he?
    All kidding aside Rock, the display in the store was beyond humane. I never have liked the tactics of so-called animal rights activists but when it came to Ivan, they were spot on. This huge animals display case in the store, if I remember correctly, was less than 20'x20'.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    All kidding aside Rock, the display in the store was beyond humane. I never have liked the tactics of so-called animal rights activists but when it came to Ivan, they were spot on. This huge animals display case in the store, if I remember correctly, was less than 20'x20'.
    I agree, one of the main reasons I raise my own animals for food is that I don't like the treatment they get in large scale operations. I believe all animals should be as happy and as well fed as possible and that doesn't happen in small cages.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg