Thread: Where Was Sen. Dodd? the Democratic chairman of the Senate Banking Committee

1. #1 Where Was Sen. Dodd? the Democratic chairman of the Senate Banking Committee 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Where Was Sen. Dodd?
    Playing the Blame Game On Fannie and Freddie

Taxpayers face a tab of as much as $200 billion for a government takeover of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the formerly semi-autonomous mortgage finance clearinghouses. And Sen. Christopher Dodd, the Democratic chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, has the gall to ask in a Bloomberg Television interview: "I have a lot of questions about where was the administration over the last eight years."

We will save the senator some trouble. Here is what we saw firsthand at the White House from late 2002 through 2007: Starting in 2002, White House and Treasury Department economic policy staffers, with support from then-Chief of Staff Andy Card, began to press for meaningful reforms of Fannie, Freddie and other government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs).

The crux of their concern was this: Investors believed that the GSEs were government-backed, so shouldn't the GSEs also be subject to meaningful government supervision?

This was not the first time a White House had tried to confront this issue. During the Clinton years, Treasury Secretary Larry Summers and Treasury official Gary Gensler both spoke out on the issue of Fannie and Freddie's investment portfolios, which had already begun to resemble hedge funds with risky holdings. Nor were others silent: As chairman of the Federal Reserve, Alan Greenspan regularly warned about the risks posed by Fannie and Freddie's holdings.

President Bush was receptive to reform. He withheld nominees for Fannie and Freddie's boards -- a presidential privilege. While it would have been valuable politically to use such positions to reward supporters, the president put good policy above good politics.

In subsequent years, officials at Treasury and the Council of Economic Advisers (especially Chairmen Greg Mankiw and Harvey Rosen) pressed for the following: Requiring Fannie and Freddie to submit to regulations of the Securities and Exchange Commission; to adopt financial accounting standards; to follow bank standards for capital requirements; to shrink their portfolios of assets from risky levels; and empowering regulators such as the Office of Federal Housing Oversight to monitor the firms.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091102841.html

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    [SIZE="3"][B]Where Was Sen. Dodd?
    He was busy cashing his donation checks from Freddie and Fanny
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    I can imagine Pelosi and Reid as they were trying to get out of the House and Senate, running away before they got called to the carpet:

"Abandon Ship! Abandon Ship! Every Man for himself! Abandon Ship!"

Hmmm, do you think this will get out into the broader media? Like NBC and the LA Times?

:D:D:D:D:

I'm killing me. I am so funny.