1. #1 DUers: Our parents are dumb, stupid, old and blind and we won't help them...... 
    link

DUers: Our parents are dumb, stupid, old and blind and we won't help them......

It's the governments job to make decisions for them.
    democrat_patriot (2,526 posts)

My parents can't program a VCR - how would they "shop around for private Medicare"?

I'm just thinking of older people in general.

Taking a medicare program that is simple and making it impossible for seniors to figure out on their own.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
    randome (5,645 posts)

1. All this crap about 'choice' is...crap.

People don't want an infinite number of decisions to make every day. They want things to work. That includes health care.
    BlueStreak (195 posts)

7. Maybe their butler could do that for them.

Or one of their gardeners, if they aren't "illegals for Pete's sake"
    Zalatix (6,900 posts)

8. Survival of the fittest.

That's the intent of privatizing Medicare - the fit ones will survive, the rest will die off.

Brought to you by the Pro-Life Party...
    livetohike (13,420 posts)

9. My mom (age 81) and my m-i-l (age 86) both are in various stages of dementia

They are widowed and both are still in their own homes for now.....there is no way either of them could handle the decision making required to shop for medical insurance. No way.

My Dad and f-i-l were in unions and as widows of retirees, our mothers are taken care of with their benefits needs and really don't have to make a yearly decision on what to do. If this GOP plan would take effect, it would extremely mentally and emotionally hard on them. I know we are not alone, either.
    Tue Aug 21, 2012, 03:01 PM

IrishEyes (229 posts)

10. My father has two Ph.Ds and is a college professor.

He still had no idea how to check messages on his cell phone. He also can't figure out how to use a laptop computer.
    sinkingfeeling (25,190 posts)

12. My mother is legally blind, unable to walk, and 93. How could she?

Remember the good old days when families took care of each member? Liberalism blinds these DUmmies apparently.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

This is how Moonbats see everyone.

They think you are too stupid to decide things for yourself, so must decide for you.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    IrishEyes (229 posts)

10. My father has two Ph.Ds and is a college professor.
    He still had no idea how to check messages on his cell phone. He also can't figure out how to use a laptop computer.

We're not surprised.
    May the FORCE be with you!

If your parents can't program their VCR, get them a DVD player for Christmas this year and stop being a cheapskate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post
    This is how Moonbats see everyone.

They think you are too stupid to decide things for yourself, so must decide for you.
    You can see it in how Pelosi responded about illegal immigration and how they do jobs Americans won't do, and although he's a "comedian" which is just a cover for anything BS they he spews out Bill Maher actually said that blacks are poor and ride the bus and how white GOP members found 1 thing they do that blacks don't and that being photo ID.

Liberals really believe that blacks, women, and other minorities can't get ahead on their own; if I was a minority and the only reason I was hired for a job was to be the "token _____" I would feel like my character wasn't important and that I am only just a color/female to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Remember the good old days when families took care of each member? Liberalism blinds these DUmmies apparently.
    Exactly. Choosing the best Medicare plan is difficult, which I why I helped my mother out with choosing hers. Of course, we were looking for the one with the most reasonable price, but we were also looking for the one which covered all her medications.

Now, there are some elderly people who have nobody. I think the push for government to take care of things so much is rooted in the idea that you can't always rely on your family when you need help. To be fair, some can't. The family either isn't there to turn to or they wouldn't help for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If your parents can't program their VCR, get them a DVD player for Christmas this year and stop being a cheapskate.
    And sign them up for Netflix. :D

Did any body else notice anything about the age of all the "example" elderly folks mentioned in their posts? All well over 55, which if I'm not wrong is the age at which the option of choice begins under VP Ryans plan.
    Onward Thru the Fog

Yeah because Medicare now is just so simple. You just write your name on a piece of paper, mail it in and you are covered right?