Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tampa Authorities Empty Jail In Anticipation Of Mass Arrests At GOP Convention 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Tee,hee...

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 04:18 PM
    demmiblue

Tampa Authorities Empty Jail In Anticipation Of Mass Arrests At GOP Convention

Source: Think Progress

<snip>

To prepare, Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee has ordered the Orient Road Jail, a 1,700 bed prison in Tampa, emptied, relocating some inmates to another nearby prison and releasing others on bond. The entire facility has been transformed into a one-stop booking, detention, and bond-issuance center capable of handling large numbers of arrests, which begs the question: will Tampa police keep demonstrators on a short leash?

Sheriff Gee says no, but also indicated in a letter posted on a county website that his department would have very little tolerance for anything more than chanting and holding up signs:
    To the agitators and anarchists who want only to bring a dark cloud to this event, let me be clear: criminal activity and civil disturbances will not be tolerated and enforcement actions will be swift.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org/election/20...op-convention/

I have to say, this makes me a little nervous given the police brutality exhibited at peaceful demonstrations as of late (OWS). I hope the protesters stay safe.

And then this from Das Nadin...

Response to demmiblue (Original post)
    Wed Aug 22, 2012, 04:42 PM
    nadinbrzezinski (108,068 posts)

8. What happens if you get ready for civil disobedience

And nobody shows up? For the record, this is what I would do. Show the sherriffs for what he is.
    What????
    May the FORCE be with you!

Sheriff Gee lol

Well gee don't break the law!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Response to demmiblue (Original post)

fascisthunter (27,734 posts)

22. can't have freedom of speech, is that right, right wingoes?
    WTF. Bob Buckhorn (the mayor) is a Demopuke you lunatic. Complain to him.
    Be Not Afraid.

obliviously (1,450 posts)
    25. This is outragous!

So basically they are saying if we break the law, law enforcement agents whose reason for being is to uphold the law will arrest us.
    This is an absolute travesty!!! If I hadn't read it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it!
    Fi fi foe fum I smell the blood of a rethug!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    My impression is that most of the people in the Tampa Bay area have had it with the bullshit promises of major events and sports franchises. Every time the politicians and business leaders conspire to bring something like this to this area, they promise that there will be a financial benefit, a DIRECT financial benefit to local merchants and workers. By and large, no one sees it.

The RNC is being allowed to do things in Tampa which should not be tolerated. Instead of pumping up business and enriching locals, it's closing down businesses and inconveniencing locals.

Republican National Convention

Not such a prize

I'm a Republican, but for the life of me I cannot understand why taxpayers are paying even $1 for security and other costs in connection with the coming Republican National Convention. And closing down the federal courthouse? Moving county employees for two weeks? Why?

Shouldn't the party be paying us to reimburse us for the costs and troubles? Would the cities pay for the Libertarians to come to town? Or the national Communist Party?

I am probably not the only one who thinks that maybe "winning" the title of host city to the RNC wasn't such a great prize after all.

Larry Heinkel, St. Petersburg

Next time go elsewhere

Pinellas and Hillsborough counties have virtually been shut down by the upcoming RNC. Highways, court systems, small businesses, even hospitals have been affected. There are restrictions on the waterways, air space, local roads and business access. Some schools are affected, public transportation altered, and banks within the RNC-restricted areas are going to be closed.

Enough. Next time let them go somewhere else.

Judy Lavaron, St. Petersburg

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/lett...before/1246969

Fabulous Poster
    What possible reason could there be for this kind of mess? A former governor and a congressman? There is probably one of each walking around without so much as a bodyguard at any given moment. It's not like the President is in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    My impression is that most of the people in the Tampa Bay area have had it with the bullshit promises of major events and sports franchises. Every time the politicians and business leaders conspire to bring something like this to this area, they promise that there will be a financial benefit, a DIRECT financial benefit to local merchants and workers. By and large, no one sees it.

The RNC is being allowed to do things in Tampa which should not be tolerated. Instead of pumping up business and enriching locals, it's closing down businesses and inconveniencing locals.

Republican National Convention

Not such a prize

I'm a Republican, but for the life of me I cannot understand why taxpayers are paying even $1 for security and other costs in connection with the coming Republican National Convention. And closing down the federal courthouse? Moving county employees for two weeks? Why?

Shouldn't the party be paying us to reimburse us for the costs and troubles? Would the cities pay for the Libertarians to come to town? Or the national Communist Party?

I am probably not the only one who thinks that maybe "winning" the title of host city to the RNC wasn't such a great prize after all.

Larry Heinkel, St. Petersburg

Next time go elsewhere

Pinellas and Hillsborough counties have virtually been shut down by the upcoming RNC. Highways, court systems, small businesses, even hospitals have been affected. There are restrictions on the waterways, air space, local roads and business access. Some schools are affected, public transportation altered, and banks within the RNC-restricted areas are going to be closed.

Enough. Next time let them go somewhere else.

Judy Lavaron, St. Petersburg

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/lett...before/1246969
    They weren't bitching when the Super Bowl created a much larger disruption in 2001.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

It's not looking like good weather for protesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Fi fi foe fum I smell the blood of a rethug!
    He has doubled down.

obliviously (1,450 posts)
    30. I'm trying to think of the best course of action here

I say head down to the sheriffs office and take a healthy shit on a squad car, or I guess we could let them have their convention and we'll have ours and then democratically reelect our president..............oh hell that's crazy talk.