Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 'American Taliban' Lindh seeks group prayer in Indiana prison 
    INDIANAPOLIS – An American-born Taliban fighter imprisoned in Indiana will try to convince a federal judge that his religious freedom trumps security concerns in a closely watched trial that will examine how far prisons can go to ensure security in the age of terrorism.

John Walker Lindh was expected to testify Monday in Indianapolis during the first day of the trial over prayer policies in a tightly restricted prison unit where he and other high-risk inmates have severely limited contact with the outside world.

Lindh, 31, a Muslim convert who was charged with supporting terrorists after he was captured by U.S. troops in Afghanistan and later pleaded guilty to lesser charges, claims his religious rights are being violated because the federal prison in Terre Haute deprives him of daily group prayer.

Muslims are required to pray five times a day, and the Hanbali school to which Lindh belongs requires group prayer if it is possible. But inmates in the Communications Management Unit are allowed to pray together only once a week except during Ramadan. At other times, they must pray in their individual cells. Lindh says that doesn't meet the Quran's requirements and is inappropriate because he is forced to kneel in close proximity to his toilet.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana, which is representing Lindh, contends the policy violates a federal law barring the government from restricting religious activities without showing a compelling need.

"This is an open unit where prisoners are basically out all day," said ACLU legal director Ken Falk, noting that inmates are allowed to play basketball and board games, watch television and converse as long as they speak English so the guards can understand.

"They can do basically any peaceful activity except praying," he said. "It makes no sense to say this is one activity we're going to prohibit in the name of security."

Joe Hogsett, the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Indiana, said he believes decisions about prison regulations are best made by prison officials, "not by convicted terrorists and other dangerous criminals who reside there."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/26...ndiana-prison/
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Wasn't he convicted of treason? Why is he still alive at all? If he wants to commune with Allah that badly, we can execute the sentence for treason and he can do it in person.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I don't care if he prays with others.

As long as he is in prison, I'm OK with it.

He'll get his way. We have a sweat box for Native American inmates to commune in.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    He'll get his way. We have a sweat box for Native American inmates to commune in.
    Since you're in that business, what do you think? Should we care? Would you just as soon he got a chance to pray, or is it more likely he wants something else and this is just a ruse?

They should arrange for him to pray together with the 12th Imam.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Why is that scum breathing at all? Let alone the same air as I am
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    I don't care if he prays with others.

As long as he is in prison, I'm OK with it.

He's in a unit that allows them to play basketball and board games with each other. I would guess that the Prison Christian fellowships are allowed to pray together. If that is the case, then it is discrimination, regardless of what the crime is that he was convicted of.

If the Christian groups are currently also denied the right to pray together, a victory in this case would also give them the right to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Wasn't he convicted of treason? Why is he still alive at all? If he wants to commune with Allah that badly, we can execute the sentence for treason and he can do it in person.
    Conspiracy to Murder U.S. Nationals (18 U.S.C. § 2332(b)) (Count One)
    Conspiracy to Provide Material Support & Resources to Foreign Terrorist Organizations (18 U.S.C § 2339B) (Counts Two & Four);
    Providing Material Support & Resources to Foreign Terrorist Organizations (18 U.S.C. §§ 2339B & 2) (Counts Three & Five);
    Conspiracy to Contribute Services to al Qaeda. (31 C.F.R. §§ 595.205 & 595.204 & 50 U.S.C. § 1705(b)) (Count Six);
    Contributing Services to al Qaeda (31 C.F.R. §§ 595.204 & 595.205, 50 U.S.C. § 1705(b) & 18 U.S.C. § 2) (Count Seven);
    Conspiracy to Supply Services to the Taliban (31 C.F.R. §§ 545.206(b) & 545.204 & 50 U.S.C. § 1705(b)) (Count Eight);
    Supplying Services to the Taliban (31 C.F.R. §§ 545.204 & 545 206(a), 50 U.S.C. § 1705(b) & I8 U.S.C. §2) (Count Nine);
    Using and Carrying Firearms and Destructive Devices During Crimes of Violence (I8 U.S.C. §§ 924(c) & 2) (Count Ten)

Those are all the charges the little scumbag was found guilty of. And somehow instead of assuming room temperature...he's only serving 20 years and at some point will be released back into society.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Why is that scum breathing at all? Let alone the same air as I am
    Because he's a hero to the left just like Bradley Manning.