1. #1 Employing Dietitians Pays Off for Supermarkets 
    MOLINE, Ill. ó Lois E. Florence recently left her doctorís office with a diagnosis of colitis, an intestinal disorder, and a complicated set of instructions for changing her diet.

After several setbacks she had a chance conversation with the pharmacist at her local Hy-Vee grocery store here that changed everything.

He referred her to the storeís dietitian, Dawn Blocklinger, and on a recent sunny morning, the two of them spent almost an hour compiling a list of the foods Mrs. Florence, 79, could eat and alternatives for the ones she couldnít, like rye bread to replace wheat and Tofutti instead of ice cream.

Then they went shopping.

Hy-Vee is the only grocery chain in the country that posts a registered dietitian in almost every one of its 235 stores. In rural areas, some of its more than 190 dietitians serve a cluster of stores.
    NY TIMES ARTICLE

What a good idea! I wish others would do that. I found that a dietician will only be paid for information and assistance with diabetes and kidney disease. When I had that bout with gout, my doc provided a one page list of foods that trigger gout, but it turned out it was an extremely incomplete list.

I went to a nutritionist, $120 the first time, afterwards $60 a session. As soon as I get off, I'm sending her an email cancelling my next appointment. It's gotten to the point where I think it's just a revenue stream for her. Nothing much is done in the one hour session. There's just so much one can say about it. She did a good job, no more episodes.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    What a good idea! I wish others would do that. I found that a dietician will only be paid for information and assistance with diabetes and kidney disease. When I had that bout with gout, my doc provided a one page list of foods that trigger gout, but it turned out it was an extremely incomplete list.

I went to a nutritionist, $120 the first time, afterwards $60 a session. As soon as I get off, I'm sending her an email cancelling my next appointment. It's gotten to the point where I think it's just a revenue stream for her. Nothing much is done in the one hour session. There's just so much one can say about it. She did a good job, no more episodes.
    I'm glad you had good results.

I thought this was an excellent idea that the grocery stores were doing this. I also found it neat that the NY Times picked up the article about one of my old hometowns!