1. #1 Organic food no healthier than non-organic: study 
    NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Organic produce and meat typically isn't any better for you than conventional varieties when it comes to vitamin and nutrient content, according to a new review of the evidence.

But organic options may live up to their billing of lowering exposure to pesticide residue and antibiotic-resistant bacteria, researchers from Stanford University and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System found.

"People choose to buy organic foods for many different reasons. One of them is perceived health benefits," said Dr. Crystal Smith-Spangler, who led the new study.

"Our patients, our families ask about, ‘Well, are there health reasons to choose organic food in terms of nutritional content or human health outcomes?'"

To try to answer that question, she and her colleagues reviewed over 200 studies that compared either the health of people who ate organic or conventional foods or, more commonly, nutrient and contaminant levels in the foods themselves.

Those included organic and non-organic fruits, vegetables, grains, meat, poultry, eggs and milk.

Many of the studies didn't specify their standards for what constituted "organic" food - which can cost as much as twice what conventional food costs - the researchers wrote Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

According to United States Department of Agriculture standards, organic farms have to avoid the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, hormones and antibiotics. Organic livestock must also have access to pastures during grazing season.

Many conventional farms in the U.S., in contrast, use pesticides to ward off bugs and raise animals in crowded indoor conditions with antibiotics in their feed to promote growth and ward off disease. The Food and Drug Administration has been examining that type of antibiotic use and its contribution to drug-resistant disease in humans.

SAME VITAMINS

Smith-Spangler and her colleagues found there was no difference in the amount of vitamins in plant or animal products produced organically and conventionally - and the only nutrient difference was slightly more phosphorus in the organic products.

Organic milk and chicken may also contain more omega-3 fatty acids, they found - but that was based on only a few studies.

There were more significant differences by growing practice in the amount of pesticides and antibiotic-resistant bacteria in food.

More than one-third of conventional produce had detectable pesticide residues, compared to seven percent of organic produce samples. And organic chicken and pork was 33 percent less likely to carry bacteria resistant to three or more antibiotics than conventionally-produced meat.

Smith-Spangler told Reuters Health it was uncommon for either organic or conventional foods to exceed the allowable limits for pesticides, so it's unclear whether a difference in residues would have an effect on health.

Read More>http://ca.news.yahoo.com/organic-foo...210536314.html
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Some things I buy are Organic (big O) and some are simply simple. I shop at the health food store and also at Walmart.

At Walmart I buy some crackers called "World Table" which I believe is a Walmart brand. The ingredients are "rice flour, safflower oil, salt"..... that's it. The ingredients on a lot of other crackers are long, chemical, and confusing. Most of them have phosphate which is something I avoid. The food companies are adding phosphate to the damnedest things- like canned vegetables.

I buy organic lettuce and cabbage because my kidneys have me afraid of all industrial chemicals. I don't care about watermelons, apples, avocados or anything else with a hard skin because they can be effectively washed.

What meat I eat comes from the health food store. Rightly or wrongly, I figure there is at least half a chance that it wasn't raised or handled in some disgusting way. It's so expensive, I eat less of it. That's probably a good thing.

I think a lot of "Organic" is bunk. I'll pay for Organic stuff made in the USA where there is half a chance it's actually Organic, but I do't put a lot of store in the claims of foods imported from Thailand. In fact, the thought of eating food grown in Thailand doesn't appeal to me, but the Dole pineapple from Thailand has chemical additives and the pineapple from Indonesia says it doesn't.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I've mentioned this to SLW many times, the "Organic" bullshit is just that. It's just a way some
    have found to take more money from people.
    May the FORCE be with you!

In some cases, the organic stuff is actually more dangerous. Organic fertilizers are breeding grounds for e coli, and there have been a number of outbreaks linked to organic produce.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    I've mentioned this to SLW many times, the "Organic" bullshit is just that. It's just a way some
    have found to take more money from people.
    Some of it does seem to taste better when it comes to fresh veggies & fruit!