1. #1 Women's Bible Studies Questions 
    My church's women's fellowship is starting a couple of Bible studies in the fall. The one doing the Beth Moore study of James meets during the day, so I can't go to that one. There is an evening group doing "Annointed, Abundant, and True" by Beth Moore, Kay Arthur and Priscilla Schirer. Has anyone (Gina?) participated in this one yet?

I'm kind of new to this type of thing, and I don't want to be obnoxious in a group, like I was starting to get at the Unity church classes. Are these studies more applicable to married women who are raising kids, or are they something a life-long single woman can relate to?

Is it going to be one of those submissive women things? Because I'll never be that kind of Christian woman, at least not without first being lobotomized.

Nope, never took any Bible classes...but I'm catholic.

I'm not a woman, but I have been to and led a few Bible studies.

The best way to find out if you are a good fit for the class is to check it out. If you don't like it, don't go back.

Some are more formal then others. Most of it depends on who attends, rather then the subject matter.

I always prefered "small groups." In which you connect with a group of people and meet up once a week. There is a light topic discussion, fellowship and everyone brings a dish to pass. It's a great way to connect with others and if you find the right group, there is always someone there for you when you need them.

To be real honest I know of large women's Bible studies (split into several groups) that turned out to be pretty evil. My mother was active in one, became sick and was kicked out for missing! They waited until the start of the next year to let her know! So much for God's love.

Just keep your eyes, ears & heart open and let God lead you where He wants you to be. You will know once you are there.

The one you can't go to during the day looks very interesting.

The one at night looks like it would be ok also.

I did a little research. Like I said, there are other factors that include the teacher & the classmates also.

I say go for it, if you don't like it, don't go back.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    f
    To be real honest I know of large women's Bible studies (split into several groups) that turned out to be pretty evil.
    At the risk of offending someone, I find that the super-religious are usually the most evil of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    At the risk of offending someone, I find that the super-religious are usually the most evil of all.
    Part of it was that. Those that tend to over play the religion card usually have the most to hide.

Part of it was too many females in one place. It was during the day and some were very well off housewives. Which there is nothing wrong with that.

Part of it was some of the ladies really rode the "high horse." Not just when it came to the church, but when it came to life in general.
    One lady missed an entire year due to her health and was not kicked out of the class, my mom even took the lady her "homework." My mom missed four classes... My mom was a bad Bible student. The bad news is my mom enjoyed the class. She went with two other friends. She never told the two other ladies the truth as she did not want them to stop going.

Some women in my church wanted to do a Beth Moore study for the fall/winter season and the older women said they didn't want it and we did Jerry Bridges instead. My denomination doesn't allow women preachers so I think that's why, they look on her (and Joyce Meyer for that matter, whom I love) as a preacher and totally disapprove.

I watch Life Today with James and Betty Robison on Wednesdays, because Beth does the first 15 mins of the show and I appreciate her teaching very much. She was sexually abused (as was Joyce Meyer) in childhood and she's very easy to understand.

I haven't done the study you mentioned, but I would go if I were you!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Some women in my church wanted to do a Beth Moore study for the fall/winter season and the older women said they didn't want it and we did Jerry Bridges instead. My denomination doesn't allow women preachers so I think that's why, they look on her (and Joyce Meyer for that matter, whom I love) as a preacher and totally disapprove.

I watch Life Today with James and Betty Robison on Wednesdays, because Beth does the first 15 mins of the show and I appreciate her teaching very much. She was sexually abused (as was Joyce Meyer) in childhood and she's very easy to understand.

I haven't done the study you mentioned, but I would go if I were you!
    I probably will go, I want to meet more people and such. I did one of Beth Moore's studies on my own (Stepping Up/about the Psalms of Ascents), so I know a little about her backround. Joyce Meyer is one of those people who I think is funny (she has a big conference at the Palace soon), but I take issue with her preaching the "prosperity gospel", which is one of the many reasons I left the Unity denomination.

I haven't read any of Beth Moore's other books, but when I peruse them at the bookstore, they do seem to all be written for women. She's not in any type of position of Christian authority over men, which is the main scriptural objection to female pastors.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I probably will go, I want to meet more people and such. I did one of Beth Moore's studies on my own (Stepping Up/about the Psalms of Ascents), so I know a little about her backround. Joyce Meyer is one of those people who I think is funny (she has a big conference at the Palace soon), but I take issue with her preaching the "prosperity gospel", which is one of the many reasons I left the Unity denomination.

I haven't read any of Beth Moore's other books, but when I peruse them at the bookstore, they do seem to all be written for women. She's not in any type of position of Christian authority over men, which is the main scriptural objection to female pastors.
    Yeah Joyce Meyer is at the Palace this week. Wish I could have gone.

I've been watching her show on tv for quite awhile and reading lots of her books and I haven't found her to teach on 'prosperity' too much. She does point out that we should tithe and she also made a comment I appreciated which was Biblical, to give to the place where you are fed, meaning your own church. Of course she encourages people to give to her too. She certainly isn't as bad as the Copelands or Hagin jr. Even the 700 Club is getting more and more about the cash. It's too bad.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.