1. #1 Ethanol Mandates – the poster child for zombie government programs that never die 
    Since the Carter administration the government has been diverting your dollars to put ethanol into your gas tank. Initially it was intended to be a tool to help the United States become energy independent, it then morphed into a tool to help increase gas mileage and later it became a critical element in fighting global warming. Now it doesn’t even do any of those dubious, but theoretically positive, things. It’s simply become another failed government wealth transfer program.

The Wall Street Journal states: Corn is also a key ingredient in the combine of political power and corporate welfare that is U.S. alternative energy policy. The food-to-fuel mandate is known as the Renewable Fuels Standard (RFS) and requires 13.2 billion gallons of ethanol to be blended into the gasoline supply this year and 36 billion gallons by 2022. These quotas are fulfilled almost entirely by corn ethanol.

Ethanol is an industry that enjoys no natural market. The only reason the ethanol market exists in the first place is because of government mandates. And who are the beneficiaries of this corporate welfare that is funded out of your pocket? Mainly members of the farm / finance / producers cabal in the form of the Renewable Fuels Association. This advocacy organization that is simply trying to save our planet is made up of an array good hearted companies that are just too fragile to survive without Uncle Sam’s largesse with your money.

Among these are food processor ADM (Rev = $80 Billion, #28 on the FORTUNE 500), transportation company CSX ($11 Billion, #226) and energy companies Kinder Morgan ($8 Billion, #311) and Noble Group ($80 Billion, #139 on the Global FORTUNE 500). This ethanol boondoggle translates into a $45 billion industry… money that comes out of your pocket and could be spent elsewhere if it were not being, literally, set on fire.
    http://floppingaces.net/2012/08/28/e...o-reader-post/

But it all sounded so....ZEN! We grow it. Then we eat portions of it and put the rest in our gas tanks. What could possibly be wrong with that?

The government got ahold of it, that's what.

Like they did education. Immigration. Labor. Housing. Health care.

Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Oh, ain't it the friggin truth! The kids are always asking why I have a cell phone if I "never" carry it with me.
    Meanwhile I'm having a conversation with my son-in-law. His phone rings and he answers it.
    "Hello?"
    "No, not at all, what's going on?"
    Then he talked for 15 minutes while sitting at my dinning room table. .....Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Oh, ain't it the friggin truth! The kids are always asking why I have a cell phone if I "never" carry it with me.
    Meanwhile I'm having a conversation with my son-in-law. His phone rings and he answers it.
    "Hello?"
    "No, not at all, what's going on?"
    Then he talked for 15 minutes while sitting at my dinning room table. .....Go figure.
    Cattle prods work well in such situations. Not only will he not do that again, you'll have charged his phone for free....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot