Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Fact Check: First Lady's False Fairy Tale of Struggle 
    Link
    First Lady Michelle Obama’s pitch to voters last night relied on the premise that she and her husband understand what it is to struggle to make ends meet. She spoke movingly about their early years--about how a young Barack Obama drove a car that was “rusted out" and found his furniture “in a dumpster,” how they both came from families that had to “scrape by.” Her fairy tale--however well-delivered--was one great, big, colorful lie.

Both Michelle Robinson and Barack Obama began their adult lives with a leg up on the rest of America. They attended elite schools: Michelle went to Whitney Young, the public magnet school for Chicago’s upper class, while Barack attended Punahou, the private prep school for the top stratum of Hawaiian society. They were accepted to Ivy League schools despite undistinguished credentials, and both attended Harvard Law School.

“[B]elieve it or not, when we were first married, our combined monthly student loan bills were actually higher than our mortgage,” Michelle said. That sounds like a raw deal--but in fact reflects their fortunate circumstances. They had both just graduated from a very expensive law school, and their combined income from cushy law firm jobs dwarfed the repayments. Barack also soon enjoyed a second salary from the University of Chicago.

They had expensive tastes, reflected in the $277,500 two-bedroom condo they bought in 1993--a high price even by today’s standards. Several years later, they moved into their $1.65 million mansion in Hyde Park--with the help of fraudster Tony Rezko. Barack often told a story of hardship on the campaign trail in 2008 about having his credit card declined--once. The fact that he thought this counted as real hardship speaks volumes.

As her husband moved onto the national political stage, Michelle Obama began to enjoy a lavish lifestyle at taxpayer expense, directly and indirectly. When Barack Obama was elected to the U.S. Senate, he obtained a $1 million earmark for the University of Chicago Hospital--and his wife’s salary as Vice President for Community Affairs jumped from $121,910 to $316,962. Her job: pushing poor, uninsured patients to other hospitals.

As First Lady, Michelle Obama has lived high on the hog while the rest of the country has suffered through an extraordinary recession. In 2010, she and her entourage decamped to Spain for a lavish vacation. That summer, the Obamas encouraged Americans to visit the Gulf coast after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, which threatened tourism in the region. They promptly jetted off to Maine for their own summer holiday.

This summer, the Obamas skipped their usual summer trip to the wealthy playground of Martha’s Vineyard--months after Michelle and her daughters had enjoyed an expensive winter skiing trip in Aspen. And, of course, there are the frequent pilgrimages to Hawaii, Some of their family’s comfort, of course, comes from private income, principally Barack Obama’s book sales--yet even that wealth is a spin-off of Obama’s political career.

If, as the Democrats eagerly pointing out, Mitt Romney enjoyed the privilege of private wealth, the Obamas have enjoyed privilege funded by public money and public life. And until entering the national spotlight, they gave little to charity, contributing instead to a church that preached racial grievance. “[T]ruth matters,” Michelle Obama told the nation last night. That, too, is a lie--because so far, she has evaded it without consequence.
    More pants on fire.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

And watching the mindless and brainless sheep take it all in, some weeping, was mind numbing to say the least. Even my own MIL bought into her bullshit.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Link

More pants on fire.
    And what is sad is that a lot of liberals buy in to the lie with out asking any questions. When Anne Romney started talking about her and Mitt's start I did question the truth of her statements. Libs, however, never question anything a liberal political figure says until he or she gets caught in a lie and then they make excuses... pathetic.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

He graduated from Harvard in 1991, married Michelle in 1992, and in 1993 bought the condo in Chicago for $277,500.
    I have no doubt that their student loans were higher than their mortgage. That's not very important. They both had great (expensive) educations and great incomes. It was not a hardship.

Can we just admit that we have two wealthy, privileged people running for office and that neither one of them has known what it's like to be down to your last dime and having to choose between food for the kids and medicine for dad? Neither one of these jokers (or their wives) has known real want.

You vote for the platform, not for the lying politicians that represent it.

/cynical

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Can we just admit that we have two wealthy, privileged people running for office and that neither one of them has known what it's like to be down to your last dime and having to choose between food for the kids and medicine for dad? Neither one of these jokers (or their wives) has known real want.

You vote for the platform, not for the lying politicians that represent it.

/cynical
    Yeah. Here in the South we try to "out poor (or pore)" each other all the time, so we're all kind of used to it. But there was nothing poor about any of these people. Still, they all want to attract the misguided souls who believe there is something noble about being poor. Need their vote, too, I guess.

That speech she gave was the same speech that Ann Romney gave. The only difference was that they moved some words around ...

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    That speech she gave was the same speech that Ann Romney gave. The only difference was that they moved some words around ...
    And it wasn't true for either one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    And it wasn't true for either one of them.
    Show me proof that what Ann said was a lie.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    Show me proof that what Ann said was a lie.

I don't think that Ann or Mitt have told many lies in life. They had no reason to.

The Obama's on the other hand....